Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Justification of text?
Justification of text?
2007-05-23, 4:09 AM #1
Anyone else hit the justify button when typing a paper, so that the ends of text (the margins) line up nicely when looking vertically? Ever since I've been writing essays and papers on the computer (early days on a dated word processor), I've always hit Ctrl + J. Now I'm too fond with justification that it bothers me when I type a document without using that feature. But it doesn't bother me when it comes to reading papers without justified alignment.

I'm not saying there is something wrong about writing without justification, it's merely a habit of mine. But it appears I'm the few,if not only, in all my classes, from grade school to college, that hit Ctrl + J. So anyone else use this?

Once I had one teacher years ago who was too bothered reading papers with justification that he asked me to not use it for his class. From what I've heard it creates problems for people with dyslexia or something like that?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-05-23, 4:44 AM #2
I use it because it makes my papers look pretty.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2007-05-23, 4:46 AM #3
I always justify. It looks much better.
2007-05-23, 5:48 AM #4
Hmm... When paragraphs are separated by empty space like in Echoman's post, I don't justify, but when a paragraph is started only with an indention and there's no empty space between the paragraphs, like usually in books, newspapers, magazine articles and such, then I justify. I follow a rule like this.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-05-23, 7:10 AM #5
Originally posted by Martyn:
I always justify. It looks much better.

This man contains truth.
nope.
2007-05-23, 7:19 AM #6
Impi doesn't like big empty spaces of varying size between words.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-05-23, 7:51 AM #7
Code:
The only bad thing about justification is
superfalifragilisticexpialidicious    pie
sometimes it         makes    things look
unprofessional                 and stupid
Think while it's still legal.
2007-05-23, 7:52 AM #8
I was taught not to justify the text, so I don't. I believe my University doesn't like it, either.
2007-05-23, 7:56 AM #9
I think for formal essays and such it looks unprofessional.
2007-05-23, 10:03 AM #10
I think justify looks better. However, Word does a pretty crappy job with it. I prefer the way LaTeX does it, which looks much more professional.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2007-05-23, 10:14 AM #11
Originally posted by Malus:
I think justify looks better. However, Word does a pretty crappy job with it. I prefer the way LaTeX does it, which looks much more professional.

This man also contains the truth.

Oh, and SAJN, using a monospaced type like that is always going to look special when you justify it - you need to just use a bit of common sense.
2007-05-23, 10:45 AM #12
Originally posted by Martyn:
Oh, and SAJN, using a monospaced type like that is always going to look special when you justify it - you need to just use a bit of common sense.

You have asked the impossible from him.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2007-05-23, 10:57 AM #13
I don't use justified text because it makes it harder to read.

Think about it for a second, when you have an uneven edge down one side of the page it makes it much easier to keep track of where you are in a document. With justified text you lose the points of reference.

Also, in my experience justified text only improves aesthetics if you haven't put much thought into the layout of your pages or if space on your page is at a premium (ie newspapers). In all the examples of beautiful pages I've seen with good typography very few had justified text.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-05-23, 11:03 AM #14
I often use justifaction when I do research or produce documents and when I was a student, I used for introductionary paragraphs of essays. I don't use that often.
2007-05-23, 11:31 AM #15
Originally posted by Victor Van Dort:
Code:
The only  bad thing  about  justification
is superfalifragilisticexpialidicious pie
sometimes    it    makes   things    look
unprofessional and stupid.

2007-05-23, 1:07 PM #16
If you pick a smaller column unjustified text is still easier to read.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-05-23, 1:34 PM #17
Originally posted by Victor Van Dort:
Code:
The only bad thing about justification is
superfalifragilisticexpialidicious    pie
sometimes it         makes    things look
unprofessional                 and stupid

sajn this isn't the place for your poetry
2007-05-23, 1:47 PM #18
Originally posted by Jon`C:
sajn this isn't the place for your poetry

*snickers
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-05-23, 2:09 PM #19
As a tech writer, I know the following:

Justification is considered to be more elegant than normal left-align and should be used on:

1. Important documents that have a more formal audience
2. Layouts (such as columns) where an even right text edge is important

Otherwise, plain old left-align will suffice.

Decent desktop publishing software (such as InDesign) has a smart justification feature (I forget the exact name) that balances out lines. Longer lines will justify as expected, and shorter lines will use left align and won't be stretched out as a result.
2007-05-23, 3:35 PM #20
I usually justify for creative writing (but I don't hit ctrl+J ... didn't even know about that shortcut. I just press the Justify button). And sometimes for essays.

I don't justify when writing things like lab reports, though.
一个大西瓜
2007-05-23, 3:47 PM #21
there is no justification for text. it simply is.
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-05-23, 3:51 PM #22
I didn't know about that feature, that's awsome!
2007-05-23, 4:04 PM #23
Just hitting ctrl J doesnt make it look better. In fact, that kills your typography. Youre going to get tons of "rivers" down your document. By rivers I mean spaces between the words that connect and create negative space. You might not notice it right off the bat, but large gaps like that are uuuugly.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-05-23, 4:54 PM #24
I don't like justification it makes it harder to read and the extra space between words looks horrible.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-05-23, 5:14 PM #25
What!

I can't believe you don't like it! You should like it. Why does it seem you are trying to displease me. Stop it!
2007-05-23, 5:37 PM #26
*shrug*
I took a typography course and live with graphic designers. I would fear for my life if I hit the justify button.
2007-05-23, 5:44 PM #27
er, it was a joke (for the poster above me)

I agree that it leaves river of white but not to such an alarming state, for what I see. I guess I just use alot of small words.
2007-05-23, 6:33 PM #28
Never knew what it was, never really minded it either.

Something new for me.
Back again
2007-05-23, 6:33 PM #29
Haha I know its a joke, sorry. I just find its funny my roomates have instilled that much fear about justification.

Plus, I can be a type freak sometimes :/

↑ Up to the top!