Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I'm not having much luck here...
I'm not having much luck here...
2007-05-23, 6:32 PM #1
Biostar T550 #1:
Ran fine with a PCI card. No PCIe video.
RMA'd. Motherboard LED 'VGA error'

Biostar T550 #2:
Again, no PCIe video.
RMA'd. Motherboard LED 'VGA error'

Biostar TF7050-M2:
Runs fine with integrated video (D-sub or DVI). No PCIe video.

The card in question, a Radeon X800XL, is running beautifully in my Dell as I type. Did I get three consecutive boards come defective..? Or is there something I'm missing here? I'm considering buying a new PCIe card, but I'm not entirely sure that's the problem...
woot!
2007-05-23, 6:33 PM #2
*luck vibes*
Back again
2007-05-23, 6:53 PM #3
Uh, a defective video card is far more likely than three consecutively defective motherboards.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-05-23, 7:42 PM #4
he just said hes using it on his Dell...
2007-05-23, 7:47 PM #5
Originally posted by Emon:
Uh, a defective video card is far more likely than three consecutively defective motherboards.

I realize that..but it's running flawlessly in my Dell rig..
woot!
2007-05-23, 8:39 PM #6
It could still be slightly defective. :ninja:

That board probably just doesn't like that card. Probably because it's a Biostar POS.
2007-05-23, 8:52 PM #7
Originally posted by Emon:
Probably because it's a Biostar POS.

Here's your answer.
2007-05-23, 8:54 PM #8
Biostar? ewwwwwww
2007-05-24, 4:39 AM #9
I'm thinking that might be the problem. Think there's any chance a different PCIE card would work..? I'd like to keep this board if possible (onboard HDTV output, onboard s-video, onboard HD audio)..
woot!
2007-05-24, 10:57 AM #10
There's a chance but it's not worth it. Any video card worth its salt should support those things (including that X800 assuming it is the VIVO model - look for a small, round port on the back, typically between the DVI and Mini D-Sub).

'Integrated HD audio' is a horrible misnomer. HD Audio is Intel's updated specification (from AC'97) for a software-controlled sound card. It's pretty much crap.
2007-05-24, 2:20 PM #11
From what I understand, the specification only deals with the softwareish level. The reason most onboard sound is so horrible is because of the jellybean chips used in the signal chain. The opamps they use, for example.
2007-05-24, 2:26 PM #12
Dell implements serials into their hardware that makes its crap not work if pulled apart and such. Not sure if that's the problem, but you might want to keep in mind that once you start changing parts on your Dell rig, or taking them out to make a new one, it will probably not work.
2007-05-24, 3:08 PM #13
Originally posted by Anovis:
Dell implements serials into their hardware that makes its crap not work if pulled apart and such. Not sure if that's the problem, but you might want to keep in mind that once you start changing parts on your Dell rig, or taking them out to make a new one, it will probably not work.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the X800XL is not a Dell card. I installed the video card, a sound card, wireless card, DVD-RW and replaced the HD...the only Dell OEM stuff is the case/PS/motherboard/cpu..and I think one 256mb DIMM..
woot!
2007-05-24, 3:30 PM #14
Originally posted by JLee:
Thanks for the suggestion, but the X800XL is not a Dell card. I installed the video card, a sound card, wireless card, DVD-RW and replaced the HD...the only Dell OEM stuff is the case/PS/motherboard/cpu..and I think one 256mb DIMM..

That'll do it.
2007-05-24, 3:32 PM #15
Dell implements serials into their hardware that makes its crap not work if pulled apart and such.
What? No they don't
2007-05-24, 3:36 PM #16
Hmm...I could have sworn people said that when I implemented my Dell's HDD with a new computer.

Oh well, I really don't care, and I didn't think they did that anyways.
2007-05-24, 4:01 PM #17
Oh well, I really don't care, and I didn't think they did that anyways.
Why do you always say you don't care whenever you say something ridiculous?

The issue here is his choice in a new motherboard. The first mark against him is that he went with one of the cheapest AM2 motherboards he could find (probably). The second mark is the chipset that motherboard is using (NForce 550).

I've ripped into NForce on here a number of times. To preface this, my information comes from someone who does BIOS programming on a professional basis.

NForce chipsets are buggy. The bigger vendors (like ASUS) write bug fixes and workarounds into their BIOS. This is a time-consuming and expensive process, but entirely necessary - especially since NVIDIA will not respond to, document or correct known bugs in their hardware. NForce5, especially, has hardware compatibility problems. NForce is hilariously unpopular among firmware programmers and motherboard vendors - in fact, they hate the goddamn things, but they have to carry them because all of the gamerzzzz need their leet eff pee ess like fatal1ty and won't buy anything else even if it's better.

If you have a big name expensive mondo $ motherboard from a reputable manufacturer you won't have too many issues: they'll have found most of the problems and added in workarounds. For a less-reputable low-end motherboard manufacturer you're going to see stability issues and massive hardware compatibility problems.

At any rate, JLee should consider going with an ASUS motherboard. I always buy ASUS and I have never, ever had a problem with them (except for my A8N-E's NVIDIA-made southbridge). He should also consider going with a VIA. You know, if he were willing to shave off 0.2% of his 3DMark score to get a system that works right.
2007-05-24, 4:02 PM #18
Anovis, sounds like FUD.
2007-05-24, 5:02 PM #19
Jon`C: Except you forget the massive hazard that is the VIA chipset. I don't know if it's changed in the past couple years, but their older chipsets were a DISASTER. AGP rarely worked, drivers were haphazard beta crap, bluescreens all the time, etc.

Once I switched to the nforce chipsets (nf2 and nf4), I've never had more stability. It was like night and day. Again, maybe it has changed with nf5/6 and the new VIA chipsets, but just thinking about VIA's history makes me cringe.
2007-05-24, 5:04 PM #20
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Jon`C: Except you forget the massive hazard that is the VIA chipset.
I'm not "forgetting" anything, I'm reporting what was told to me by someone who debugs this hardware for a living.
2007-05-24, 5:24 PM #21
Originally posted by Jon`C:
I'm not "forgetting" anything, I'm reporting what was told to me by someone who debugs this hardware for a living.

Perhaps ask him about the VIA chipset then?
2007-05-24, 5:46 PM #22
Perhaps ask him about the VIA chipset then?
VIA was what she recommended.

AMD does not have a reference chipset anymore/yet. ULi was bought out by NVIDIA to shut ATI out of the chipset market (ULi made southbridges for ATI's chip). VIA is literally the only alternative.
2007-05-24, 6:39 PM #23
but their older chipsets were a DISASTER. AGP rarely worked, drivers were haphazard beta crap, bluescreens all the time, etc.

That was a VERY long time ago. I would also question the validity of the data, because they were probably comparing say, an Asus nForce board to a Biostar VIA. My family has several PCs with VIA chipsets, as far back as an Athlon XP 2000+, and none of them have problems.
2007-05-25, 9:18 PM #24
Jon`C: Except you forget the massive hazard that is the VIA chipset. AGP rarely worked . . .

Yea, I had a couple of boards with VIA chipsets that sucked, I only buy ones with Intel chipsets now.
2007-05-25, 9:35 PM #25
I bought Biostar boards because I had read they usually have good overclocking results..and I bought a Brisbane 3600 for 53 bucks.

Quote:
The first mark against him is that he went with one of the cheapest AM2 motherboards he could find (probably)

Uh, nope, I could've spent $50 rather than $85. :P

Quote:
You know, if he were willing to shave off 0.2% of his 3DMark score to get a system that works right.

Nice little condescending jab there, eh? What on earth makes you think I'm worried about 3dMark scores? I'm still running an X800 card, for crying out loud...
woot!
2007-05-25, 11:29 PM #26
Originally posted by JLee:
I bought Biostar boards because I had read they usually have good overclocking results..and I bought a Brisbane 3600 for 53 bucks.

Uh, nope, I could've spent $50 rather than $85. :P

Nice little condescending jab there, eh? What on earth makes you think I'm worried about 3dMark scores? I'm still running an X800 card, for crying out loud...

:v:

You know, if you really want to interpret my remark as a jab about you specifically rather than the gaggle of people who refuse to buy anything except NForce because it drops their 3dmark score by 10 points (if their system stays up long enough to run it), go ahead.

Once you've recoiled from the sheer, crushing impact of my remark, maybe you'll follow my original advice and sacrifice the 10% chance of a 200 MHz overclock for a system that works fullstop.
2007-05-26, 6:42 AM #27

You know, if you really want to interpret my remark as a jab about you specifically rather than the gaggle of people who refuse to buy anything except NForce because it drops their 3dmark score by 10 points (if their system stays up long enough to run it), go ahead.

Once you've recoiled from the sheer, crushing impact of my remark, maybe you'll follow my original advice and sacrifice the 10% chance of a 200 MHz overclock for a system that works fullstop.

Maybe you're not familiar with the Brisbane 3600s..? They've been known to run solidly near 3Ghz...stock is 1.9Ghz. I'm not looking at a 10% chance of a 200Mhz overclock.

And pardon me if I'm interpreting "he" incorrectly; in my experience, that word refers to someone specifically. ;)
woot!
2007-05-26, 7:20 AM #28

Because everyone who runs an nforce chipset does so solely because of the chance of a tiny performance improvement.

:downswords:

Let's also not forget that some people buy them because they can be more stable, or have better features than comparable chipsets. Heaven forbid this flies in the face of what your "debugger girl" says but I have a DFI board (not Asus and their "bios bug fixes") and it runs just fine. ("Just fine" being I haven't seen a motherboard-related crash in... well... I've never seen one.)

I also put forth the idea that even if there are massive bugs in the chipset... if they can be fixed in bios, what the hell does it matter? All that does is prove the point once again: you get what you pay for.
2007-05-26, 7:47 AM #29
Because everyone who runs an nforce chipset does so solely because of the chance of a tiny performance improvement.
Because that's how they ended up on the market in the first place?

Quote:
Let's also not forget that some people buy them because they can be more stable, or have better features than comparable chipsets.
"Comparable chipsets?" Like which ones, the Intel reference chipsets or...?

NVIDIA and Intel are the only two companies that offer a complete 'package' of network, sound, RAID/SATA/IDE controller, optional integrated video and other features. Neither VIA nor ATI offer a complete package (and ATI doesn't even offer a functional southbridge - NVIDIA bought the company that produced ATI's southbridge to force ATI out of the chipset market)

And in spite of what you think, no, NForce is not a stable chipset. You never said what the "comparable" chipsets are, all you've said is that NForce is better. How is it better? How is it more stable? What are you comparing it to?

Quote:
Heaven forbid this flies in the face of what your "debugger girl" says
...so which part are you objecting to, the fact that she's a BIOS programmer or the fact that she's a she? What does this have to do with anything?

Quote:
but I have a DFI board (not Asus and their "bios bug fixes") and it runs just fine. ("Just fine" being I haven't seen a motherboard-related crash in... well... I've never seen one.)
I'll refrain from commenting on my personal and incredibly enjoyable experiences with the NForce2 memory controller and NForce2 southbridge, since it's an out of date part (even though it's still said to be the most stable NForce chipset to date)

I'll put it this way for you: the biggest bugs I remember her talk about involved nvidia's hypertransport implementation. She admitted that hypertransport was hard and nobody has it perfect, but AMD and VIA both jump when a vendor reports a hypertransport bug. AMD actually flew out a team with a hypertransport probe to find out what her problem was. NVIDIA stonewalled her. NVIDIA simply does not care about producing a quality or conformant part.

Quote:
I also put forth the idea that even if there are massive bugs in the chipset... if they can be fixed in bios, what the hell does it matter? All that does is prove the point once again: you get what you pay for.
Yes, because covering up a known failure rate with redundancy is efficient, and having to write firmware that ignors aberrant behavior in your hardware is indicative of a high quality component....

CM, you get what you pay for when you buy the fatal1ty edition? Really?
2007-05-26, 7:58 AM #30
I don't have any crashes with mine, and I've got the deadly nForce4 SLI + Dual 7800GTXs + Creative X-Fi combo.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but my system and all my friends systems are nForce4. (I know because I built them all.) We all have the same Gigabyte mobo and no problems. It probably helps that we kept up with BIOS updates though...
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-05-26, 8:55 AM #31
Here are the original posts made on SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM.

--------------------------------

Quote:
Safrax posted:
With nVidia buying ULi, I can only see the nForce series going down the ****ter.

They're already there.

Quote:
Dr. Fred posted:
Why would they replace their good, successful technology just because they bought ULi?

Because nForce4 is buggy as **** and their HyperTransport implementation ****ing bites? Because their SATA doesn't work? Because they see competition and seek to crush it?

PRACE BETS NOW!

--------------------------------

Quote:
Dr. Fred posted:
Why would they replace their good, succcessful technology

They don't have any good, successful southbridges. Video cards are the only thing they do well.

-

Quote:
therapy posted:
You know, millions of people disagree with you on this.

Millions of people don't have to work around the ****ing thing's bugs. And, yeah, in terms of units shipped they're pretty successful; however, I suspect they're looking for a new HyperTransport implementation. Don't ask me how I know, I just do, OK?

-

Quote:
therapy posted:
Yeah, that's my point. Your job involves testing tiny, specific bugs that don't occur in 99% of the users' machines.

And the reason for that is that someone like me has spent a year ****ing around with an Arium and an Ugly Yellow Book That Won't Fit On The Shelf in order to patch the hideous bugs in the chipset.

All chipsets have bugs- they have a hundred million ****ing transistors in them, you have to expect that. The problem is that nVidia are intransigent. They don't care that there are margining problems. They don't care that there are bugs that need patching- they supply a vendor BIOS and if you don't like that BIOS, or it doesn't work properly, well then you can buy your chipsets elsewhere.

Except, of course, you can't, because they've either pushed them out of business or bought them.

That's what they did with video cards, and it's what they're doing with chipsets, and I ****ing hate it.

-

[QUOTE=nuclear fish]I know I'm joining the fray late, but it looks like you pissed some nVidia fanboi off, and now they're giving you a nice custom title.

As an EE for a long, long time, and having worked with nVidia **** (thank GOD we use ATI's chipsets now; as an EE I far prefer ATI gear to work with), I am going to voice solidarity with you in the fact that nVidia is a terrible hardware manufacturer.[/QUOTE]

-

Quote:
WhyteRyce posted:
To be fair, it would be nice to see him actually recommend a "good" A64 board for regular users instead of just constantly ragging on the nforce4. The closest we got in the other thread was him mentioning a Gigabyte nforce4 board which might not suck

Am not a "him".

As for a "good" Athlon64 board, well, the nForce3 boards are actually more reliable than the nForce4 ones. Except when they're not. I'd go for a Via one, actually, even if they don't have the AWESOME features

-

Quote:
WhyteRyce posted:
some of the new Via chipsets get really flakey once you start messing with the HT speed.

I looked at this for about a minute before I realized there really isn't any nicer way to say this:

Then stop ****ing around with the HyperTransport. That interface was marginned by people far smarter than either one of us. LEAVE IT ALONE UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR MACHINE TO CRASH.

-

Quote:
WhyteRyce posted:
Uh, I've got my 3000+ running at 2.6Ghz. And it's "stable" in the sense that I can leave it on for weeks, don't have random crashes, or data corruption

Go and look up what "C1 power state" is. Know that your Athlon runs in this state at all times. Know that unless you're running gcc's optimizer or compressing H.263 the whole time, you're not even getting close to hitting peak TDP or stressing the bus (rather, SDRAM controller and HT initiator) fully.

Quote:
WhyteRyce posted:
I was actually thinking of getting a Via board last summer until I saw this

Q : Does A8V-E Deluxe or A8V-E Deluxe NW support AMD dual-core CPU?
A : Due to VIA K8T890 chipset limitation, A8V-E Deluxe and A8V-E Deluxe NW
do not support AMD Dual-Core CPUs

Yeah, that sucks, but I am a firm believer in crossing bridges when I come to them, so if I need to get a dual core, I'll get a new board to go with it if I need to.

Incidentally, nForce4 boards are even less stable with the dual core chips. These dual core parts can actually continuously saturate the HT, which stresses everything more. There's also other stuff I can't talk about.

Quote:
Dr. Fred posted:
Since enthusiasts pretty much don't need 100% uptime and flawless stability anyway, why shouldn't they overclock?

Becasue it shortens lifespan for no real performance gain, because it reduces reliability, and because it forces the people who design the bus electronics to build them in a way that is annoyingly difficult to validate (-> nVidia doesn't seem to bother) due to metastability.

I don't want to get into a huge off-topic rant about this, but seriously, if you want a machine that's 400MHz faster than the one you can afford today, just wait three weeks or sell your Ritalin on the black market or something. Don't insist that hardware should support being run outside of spec.

-

Quote:
lightbulbsun posted:
closeenough, you seem like a smart person. so i'd like to know: what is a good board / chipset then, as i am taking what you're saying seriously and would rather not buy another nvidia based board

One of the big problems with the Athlon64 (and Opteron, and friends) is that because it has a radically different way of interacting with the host system (HyperTransport, on-board DRAM controllers, NUMA, etcetera) to previous processors, the chipset vendors haven't really got the hang of it yet. I expect these problems to be worked out in time- after all, the chipsets I work with generally haven't actually been released to the public at the time I work with them- but this is taking longer than expected.

Because HyperTransport is a system where both initiator and target have lots of state, there are complex bugs which can manifest themselves in obscure ways, and the real test of a chipset vendor is not in whether they have these bugs- they all do- it's in how responsive they are to the reports of system builders. AMD, to their credit, turn up with a HyperTransport analyzer whenever we say "Uh, little help here guys". nVidia refuse to accept the existence of bugs even when we send them logic analyzer printouts with red circles drawn around the protocol errors on the PCIe system. That's why I'm so down on nVidia- they don't give a **** about bugs in their product, they don't give us adequate documentation, and they don't help us when things break. It's an attitude thing.

Right now, believe it or not, VIA is pretty good- they seem to have a good handle on HyperTransport- and the newer ULi stuff is, while not the most popular or featuresome, at least pretty clean.

-

Quote:
D13F00L posted:
Surely no one would care to buy NF4 chipsets if NVidia ignored all reports of problems...?

The problem is that customers demand them. And the customer is always right! Even when he doesn't know jack ****!

-

Quote:
D13F00L posted:
The hypertransport bus was mentioned. What, that's like 1ghz on 939? Who ****ing knows how WIDE that bus is,

I do. It's 16 bits wide.

-

Quote:
D13F00L posted:
Is data sent/read on clk high or low, or both? :O
I'm wondering now much much bandwidth it actually is, but I couldn't do the math without knowing that.

It's double-pumped at 1GHz on sock939, and on the older sockets it's double-pumped at 800MHz. There are skew compensation delay locked loops on each line. I'm not sure if all implementations are 16 bits wide- I suspect some of the older ones are only 8 bits. (HyperTransport supports 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and 32-bit widths, though any particular host chipset generally only supports one width.)

Any given HyperTransport link only goes in one direction (it's a so-called write-only fabric) so you can actually achieve full bandwidth in both directions at the same time as long as the synchronizing state machines at both ends can cope with doing that. And the power supply, heh.

Quote:
TwoFire posted:
... and does it work coated in wax?

Surprisingly, a wax spill on a motherboard in the area over the processor socket track fanout can stop it working, even though it doesn't conduct- wax has a different dielectric constant to air, which can alter the effective length of a track by enough to push the signals out of skew spec.

These fast signals are really, really touchy- a bit on HyperTransport at 1GHz travelling down the tracks is only a few centimetres long.

-

Quote:
D13F00L posted:
So, wait, is there only 1 HT bus(probably 16 pins + a strobe?), and a chip that connects to the hardware that cycles through all the hardware reading/writing and THAT transfers data to/from the CPU through the HT bus? And if it's only one way, how can you achieve full bandwidth in both directions at the same time, unless there's multiple HT busses? You confused me :(

In regards to "skew compensation delay locked loops", what exactly are they? As in, you have a strobe/clk, if that gets there before the data arrives on the other pins because of logic gate delays you're in deep ****, so you have to delay it for a few ns while the data gets itself ready, how complicated is that device? Is this basic concept of the problem? I mean, does this device just take the strobe and run it through a few inverter gates to delay, or does it actually know how long the signal will get delayed, taking temperature and voltage and other variables that can effect logic gate reaction time and delaying the strobe based on some formula?

The HyperTransport is a point-to-point network. There is an 'in' bus on each processor and an 'out' bus on each processor, and the same on the chipset. The chipset fans out narrower HyperTransports to other HyperTransport devices. It's (almost) a tree-structured network.

Because each HyperTransport link is unidirectional, the hardware is cheap and (relatively) simple. The price of operating 'up' and 'down' links simultaneously is that there is a potential for deadlock where a 'down' transaction needs a lock held by an 'up' transaction; the system can't resolve which one should go through and so consistency can be lost.

The signalling of the HyperTransport is much more complicated than "sixteen pins and a strobe", to the point where I'd have to start defining really tricky concepts here if I were to try and explain it, and I'd probably not make myself understood so I won't do that.

Each data line in the HyperTransport has its own little adjustable delay line that is calibrated and adjusted during the link training phase of chipset initialization. This is done by a hardware state machine- obviously, since the system firmware hub is on the other side of the HyperTransport so the processor can't boot until HyperTransport is up at least at a slow rate.

The link training sequence measures the relative delay, required drive strength and some other stuff and sets the link up properly. Later, when the BIOS is running, a block of AMD-provided code properly enumerates and initializes the entire HyperTransport tree.

-

Quote:
MrBond posted:
I'm curious if closeenough has worked any with the ATI chipsets to talk about the quality of those.

To be entirely honest, the best chipset I've worked with lately is the Intel Hance Rapids. It's lovely and almost bug-free. Sadly it means you have to use sodding Noconas...

-

Quote:
therapy posted:
Wasn't Hance Rapids the southbridge for the 865/875 7210/etc chipsets, the ICH5R?

Do you work at all with Northbridge stuff? You seem to be talking mostly about USB/SATA/Ethernet problems with the nForce4, which is understandable, but your mention of the southbridge of an intel chipset makes me wonder how you feel about Intel's memory controllers on their northbridges...

Yeah, I've had some nice experiences with e7520/e7320/Nocona systems.

Intel's memory controllers seem to be 'honourable but stupid'. There's nothing much wrong with them, but they're not very fast and they don't do any of the good stuff they could do. I think Intel was late to the game on a lot of scores, and one of those was DDR SDRAM. They were busy with Rambus... oh god. RDRAM.

Quote:
j4cbo posted:
Less than a nanosecond, right? 1 / 2.4 ghz = around 400 ps per cycle, so the pulse has got to be way shorter than that.

closeenough, let me get this straight, you design motherboards for Google?

They would be shorter, but the clock toggle is actually spread around the chip by the clock tree design, and also the capacitors on the package help a lot to spread the pulses. Without those factors it would be impossible to build a chip like P4.

I don't design motherboards for Google; I write firmware for Google, and work on hardware debugging motherboards we have too. I probably can't talk about the sort of level of design work we do, but suffice to say that when you buy a lot of motherboards, companies like Asus (actually, not Asus) stop asking you what kind you want and start asking which kind you'd like them to make.

-

Quote:
evil_bunnY posted:
You know, given what the future of PC BIOSes looks like (don't like NVidia? have some more DRM!), I'd love to see a GoogleBIOS powered board.

Uh, I don't think you really understand what we do at Google.

-

Quote:
evil_bunnY posted:
No need to snipe. I know you are tired from trying to recruit so many goons.

Sorry, I didn't mean to snipe; all I was saying was that we don't let people see our hardware, and hardware is very tightly tied to firmware, so we couldn't really release our firmware... not to mention the fact that the whole reason I hack BIOSes at all at Google is that a standard type BIOS is grossly inappropriate to a large cluster. I mean, if you had thousands of machines, none of which had keyboards attached, and periodically some of them would lose CMOS contents (it happens) and decide that it needs F1 pressing to continue, you'd have a problem, right?

-

Quote:
evil_bunnY posted:
Does no one publish workable specs for modern processors, that would allow the use of something like LinuxBIOS for you guys?

The processor is not the problem; we get good support and lots of information from Intel and AMD (and also Freescale, should we want it). The problem is the motherboard chipset- if we use Intel ones, we get excellent support, and I'm sure if we used AMD ones we'd be fine too, but AMD don't make chipsets any more. Instead, we have to deal with nVidia, and they're a bunch of *****.

-

Quote:
D13F00L posted:
I'm not sure how much NVidia documentation you can get without some sort of private developer access. http://developer.nvidia.com/page/documentation.html
I don't see too much there.

Documentation for pre-release hardware is almost always provided only on paper. We had to really twist their arms to get a register list with no explanation of what registers actually did. It took us three weeks to work out how to turn on power to the ethernet PHY.

-

Quote:
Defsac posted:
It's the card manufacturers fault. No, we don't care it's identical to our reference design. It happens with the same model from another manufacturer? It's the developer's fault.

Last week they tried "It's AMD's fault!"

AMD turned up on our doorstep with a HyperTransport analyzer and a bunch of really ****ing hardcore EEs to check out what the Opterons were doing.

Turns out that the Opteron is all coo'...

-

Quote:
8ender posted:
I'm glad to see AMD is really taking the high end server sector so seriously.

AMD are really nice guys. They always treat us with respect and they always follow through on their promises.

-

Quote:
Raptop posted:
What happened to [AMD reference chipsets] 8151/8111?

nVidia outcompeted them. Hooray.
2007-05-26, 10:23 AM #32
I do have to disagree with this comment:

Quote:
Becasue it shortens lifespan for no real performance gain,

No performance gain..?

For what it's worth, I built a Pentium 4 1.6a system over five years ago. It's still running (stable) at 2.133 on stock cooling.

This Biostar board is stable at 2.375Ghz (up from 1.9 - and I haven't even messed with it much..that's a single BIOS setting for an automatic o/c)...my only issue is it failing to recognize the PCI Express card - which happens whether it's overclocked or not. Sure, I could've spent more on a faster processor...but if I can make a cheaper processor run faster, why not..? I don't care if it shortens the lifespan, because I'm not going to have it long enough to matter anyway.

This is why I bought a Biostar board. A lot of people have had good luck with them.
woot!

↑ Up to the top!