Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Flood of 2004
Flood of 2004
2004-07-19, 7:06 AM #1
Well, Peterborough (my city) got flooded thursday. Huzzah. I'll have newspaper pictars up sometime today or tomorow.

Basicly, we got torrental rainstorms, and since there's a damned lake, and 2 or 3 rivers running through our town, we got a really bad flood. Luckily most of my friends and I are on higher ground, and didn't get affected. Someone I know got 3 feet of raw sewage in their basement. Ick.

The Food Bank (food for poor people) Had enough food to feed 3000-4000 people for 3 monthes. It was all stored in the basement. They are basicly ON a bridge that is almost like a dam over the main river. Water/sewage burst through a basement wall and ruined ALL of the food. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

Er... Discuss?

------------------
"Dalton, that pie just moved of it's own accord."

"You must be mistaken, Tess. A pie can't move."
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-19, 7:10 AM #2
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glyde Bane:
The Food Bank (food for poor people) Had enough food to feed 3000-4000 people for 3 monthes. It was all stored in the basement. They are basicly ON a bridge that is almost like a dam over the main river. Water/sewage burst through a basement wall and ruined ALL of the food. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
</font>

That really sucks.

Europe has had some floods recently, not as bad as last year though.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-07-19, 7:11 AM #3
"Learn to Swim...Learn to Swim...Learn to Swim...Learn to Swim...Learn to Swim..."
Aenime - Tool

------------------
<S51> Give a man a sandwich and you'll feed him for an hour, teach him to make a sandwich and he'll get pissed, hit you and tell you to make him another sandwich.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-07-19, 7:15 AM #4
We had a flood here a while back. Nothing major though. othing bad liek that. :/

Ours was jsut enough to be cool without causing much damage...like the entire parking lot of our school turning into a 2-3 foot deep lake.

------------------
WOOSH|-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-07-19, 7:38 AM #5
I saw the pictures on the news. That was bad, I'm glad your stuff is ok.

I'll try to lighten the mood with a little flooding story of my own. There is a girl at my school who is notorious for her massive houseparties. Well, the first time she had a huge party, lots of the stuff in her house got trashed or stolen. For example, someone didn't like the music playing on the stereo, so he tossed it out the window. Pretty much suckage for the hostess, a blast for everyone else. So the next year, she thought ahead and took all of her important stuff and stashed it in the basement. So basement was chock full of valuables, important furniture, etc. The basement was locked, so it seemed like everything was safe right? Wrong. Some stupid drunk is sitting on the sink in the kitchen, tapping a beer bottle against the tubing. He ended up tapping the bottle a bit too hard, breaking one of the tubes under the floor. Result? Flooded basement.

Somehow, I find this hilarious.
2004-07-19, 7:41 AM #6
God, I hate water.

------------------
What.
2004-07-19, 7:48 AM #7
LOL It wasnt even as bad as people try to make it out to be.. I live in Peterborough as well, a crap city, with a crap sewage system, it was only a matter of time before the stupidity and laziness of this city caught up with it, and look what damage it caused.
2004-07-19, 7:57 AM #8
Well, i kinda know what its like to deal with floods, I live right along the mississippi river, but the last HUGE flood we had was the flood of '92. luckily my house is on high ground. there have been so many FEMA land buyouts so the government won't have to consistantly help in what ends up every 10 years being a disaster area. back in '95 with the flood we had i still had to deliver newspapers in an area that had water up to my ankles, andI still think back to that just going eww becuase the mississippi isn't exactly a clean waterway

------------------
"I like my women how I like my coffee, in a plastic cup." - Eddie Izzard
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2004-07-19, 10:17 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Temperamental:
LOL It wasnt even as bad as people try to make it out to be.. I live in Peterborough as well, a crap city, with a crap sewage system, it was only a matter of time before the stupidity and laziness of this city caught up with it, and look what damage it caused. </font>

Haha.. hahahahha... Nice try. Buuut, this was mother nature's doing, it had nothing to do with the sewage pipe quality or anything. That much water would cause anything to break. They even said that the last "flood" was caused by sewage pipes, and that this one truthfully wasn't. I see no reason why they would cover that up O-o

------------------

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-19, 10:22 AM #10
Can't say I've ever been inside a flood zone, although last winter I came very close when ice floods ravaged nearly every coastal community save the one I live in.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!

[This message has been edited by Flexor (edited July 19, 2004).]
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-19, 10:53 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Haha.. hahahahha... Nice try. Buuut, this was mother nature's doing, it had nothing to do with the sewage pipe quality or anything. That much water would cause anything to break. They even said that the last "flood" was caused by sewage pipes, and that this one truthfully wasn't. I see no reason why they would cover that up O-o</font>

Sorry, but wrong. I lived in Toronto for 18 years of my life, then moved to this crap hole in the ground Peterborough. Every time even the slightest rain falls, there is a clog in sewers. I dont know how many times I've driven down George Street or down Water Street (ironic name btw), or even been in parking lots, when the rain hasnt even been that hard, and witnessed the sewer drains overfilling with water.

Peterborough has a lack of proper sewage, as well as a lack of proper knowledge on how to maintain them. The workers in peterborough are lazy, hell, my girlfriend got into a car accident this past winter, BECAUSE OF THIS LAZINESS. There was a huge snowstorm and the city of peterborough was too stupid to send ANY plows out to clear the roads. Not one was sent out the entire time this happened. This was the result.

I dont know about the last flood or not, but even if it happened last time, it should not have happened again. There was just as much rain in Oshawa, which is where I was at the time of the flood, and there was not one single incident.

This kind of event was bound to happen. And i'm sorry to say, I'm glad it did. Maybe the city will finally wake up and do something.
2004-07-19, 10:56 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Genki:
"Learn to Swim...Learn to Swim...Learn to Swim...Learn to Swim...Learn to Swim..."
Aenime - Tool
</font>

That's Ænema [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-19, 10:57 AM #13
The last flood was in winter, and a pipe burst.

Apparently, I've lived in peterborough longer than you. Most likely they didn't plow the roads because there was simply too much snow. That's why you stay in doors in that kind of weather unless it's ABSOLUTLY needed. That's why the city warns people.

If you hate peterborough so much, then here yah go:

www.peterboroughsucks.com

------------------

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-19, 11:01 AM #14
lol, Yeah, already know that site. Quite good. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

But in the winter storm where she got into the car accident, there was no warning, and there wasn't too much snow. There was quite a bit, but it was mostly ice, and there was no snow plows out to plow what snow there was to get to the ice and put sand on it.
2004-07-19, 12:08 PM #15
you guys are gettin' more rain today too, i hear.

------------------
Pissed off?
2004-07-20, 12:02 PM #16
Pictars of the newspapers. Not very good, but better than nothing.

[http://imagecorner.sorrowind.net/185/1.jpg]

[http://imagecorner.sorrowind.net/185/2.jpg]

[http://imagecorner.sorrowind.net/185/3.jpg]

[http://imagecorner.sorrowind.net/185/5.jpg]

Ick

------------------

[This message has been edited by Glyde Bane (edited July 20, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Glyde Bane (edited July 20, 2004).]

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-07-20, 2:30 PM #17
Bah get the heck over it. Cincinnati has them so often that it isn't even broadcasted as the top story anymore. Cincinnati has an awesome drainage system, but you can't stop a river.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
Make Sorrowind Worthwhile... join it! http://sorrowind.net
2004-07-20, 2:48 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
Quote:
Originally posted by Genki:
Aenime - Tool
</font>

That's Ænema [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

[/B]

Quiet I'm not quick to go do things like using the number pad, or opening character sheets

------------------
<S51> Give a man a sandwich and you'll feed him for an hour, teach him to make a sandwich and he'll get pissed, hit you and tell you to make him another sandwich.
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-07-21, 8:36 AM #19
The forums were flooded lately as well. Seems people have little to do this summer [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
No signature for you.
No signature for you.
2004-07-21, 10:24 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The Food Bank (food for poor people) Had enough food to feed 3000-4000 people for 3 monthes. It was all stored in the basement. They are basicly ON a bridge that is almost like a dam over the main river. Water/sewage burst through a basement wall and ruined ALL of the food. </font>

Sorry, but how stupid can you be....You know there is a chance you are going to get flooded, there being a bunch of rivers and lakes in your town, it's built practically over a bridge...so you put all the food in the basement. Right.

------------------
(>º_º)> ±h³ ѳv³®-£ⁿd¡תּ9 §±ºr¥ <(º_º<) | (>º_º)> תּℓζ ШǿѓЖ§|-Юρ <(º_º<)
Think while it's still legal.
2004-07-21, 1:05 PM #21
SAJN, mabey thats all the space they had. I feel really bad about it. I mean it's sucks and all that the whole town got flooded, but the food bank. Thats just sad news.

------------------
"Whats your name"
Cody
"No, whats your real name"
Arkon............
Proud member of the Co-op
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-07-22, 8:01 AM #22
No really Akron, it's stupidity, sheer stupidity.

↑ Up to the top!