Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → OK....someone with some hunting experience
OK....someone with some hunting experience
2007-05-25, 6:01 PM #1
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PBKB5G0&show_article=1&image=large

I know nothing of guns, how effective certain ones are, etc etc. However, I do know that a pistol is "small." Could this kid have killed that thing with just a pistol? I know he shot it a lot, but good god the thing is huge. You'd think its hide would bear the brunt of the damage done.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2007-05-25, 6:08 PM #2
He used a .50 caliber revolver it says in the article. .50 caliber revolvers quite powerful and work well for big game.
2007-05-25, 6:09 PM #3
A .50 caliber pistol does alot of damage, if he chased it for 3 hours, with that many shots, it would be hemorrhaging blood like you wouldn't believe. It got tired enough that it started to fall, and he killed it point blank.

If it happened.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-05-25, 6:23 PM #4
Yeah, it's possible.
woot!
2007-05-25, 6:26 PM #5
Things I know:

.50 pistols can probably take down most "big game" in America with one shot, the problem comes when actually getting close enough to do more than miss and scare it off.

Wild Hogs are often aggressive but pigs aren't exactly stupid, so for a cow sized hog to run from an 11 year old wielding a pistol, it clearly perceived a big danger in the pistol.

I "think" you can see a wound or two on it's abodomen. They are almost as big as the kid's fist.

I'm not sure these animals even have an actual size limit now... It's only a matter of time before some poor SOBs go into a Southern Swamp and never return...
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-05-25, 6:31 PM #6
That thing is huge!
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-05-25, 6:31 PM #7
more deadly animals of that size should roam the planet, it just feels right.
2007-05-25, 6:49 PM #8
Reminds me of Neverwhere.

He should have killed it with a spear, coward.
2007-05-25, 6:52 PM #9
Quote:
2007-05-25, 7:01 PM #10
Originally posted by Mr. Stafford:

Have I told you recently that I love you?
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-05-25, 8:08 PM #11

Have it roam the middle east. That would make for some good fun :)
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2007-05-25, 8:47 PM #12
What I want to know is how an 11 year old was able to fire a .50 caliber pistol. That kid is hard core. I'd take my hat off to him.
2007-05-25, 8:56 PM #13
The kids a freak. He killed his first deer at age 5. He shouldn't have been physically capable of carrying and using a deer killing firearm at age 5...
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-05-25, 9:10 PM #14
Originally posted by Commander 598:
The kids a freak. He killed his first deer at age 5. He shouldn't have been physically capable of carrying and using a deer killing firearm at age 5...

He's probably safer with firearms than your average adult is...
woot!
2007-05-25, 9:11 PM #15
Originally posted by JLee:
He's probably safer with firearms than your average adult is...

Quite so...
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-05-26, 2:10 AM #16
So much truth.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-05-26, 2:12 AM #17
I never knew any hunting, except for man hunting, was done with pistols. I had thought my whole life, and knowing lots of people who hunt, that rifles and shotguns were the only hunting weapons. Well, you learn something new every day.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-05-26, 2:18 AM #18
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
What I want to know is how an 11 year old was able to fire a .50 caliber pistol. That kid is hard core. I'd take my hat off to him.

If you actually know how to fire a handgun properly, a .50 is no trouble. It's all about knowing how to use a proper Weaver Stance.
>>untie shoes
2007-05-26, 8:05 AM #19

Kew. Eff. Tee.

It's pretty sad that they decided to kill possibly the world's largest hog... and that they spent three hours killing the poor bugger.
2007-05-26, 8:23 AM #20
Holy Jesus, what are these Goddamn animals?!
2007-05-26, 9:33 AM #21

Uh, huh? Deer killing weapons are not exactly arm cannons...

A .50 handgun won't kill something like that from knockdown power, but all they did was make it bleed and chase it down. That's how you kill lots of things. If you chase it and shoot at it, it will spoil the meat anyway. Just blood it and let it walk itself to death.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-05-26, 11:58 AM #22
Quote:
Uh, huh? Deer killing weapons are not exactly arm cannons...

You're missing the point, I don't know many five year olds with the physical capability to even lift my preferred deer killing weapon (M1 Garand), much less accurately fire it.
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-05-26, 12:04 PM #23
Hey, nobody ever said it was a wild deer!

>.>
nope.
2007-05-26, 12:04 PM #24
I have a 50 cal bullet from the 50's [Grampa in army] and i think that thing could basicly kill anything.
2007-05-26, 3:55 PM #25
You're missing the point, I don't know many five year olds with the physical capability to even lift my preferred deer killing weapon (M1 Garand), much less accurately fire it.

Oh.

Well, yeah, that IS an arm cannon. Most people I know shoot deer with a .223. A bolt action is under 10 pounds, as are most AR-15s...
2007-05-26, 4:08 PM #26
Originally posted by SavageX378:
Have it roam the middle east. That would make for some good fun :)

That was extremely mature.
2007-05-26, 4:22 PM #27
Originally posted by Rob:
That was extremely mature.

Don't you get it, cus it's PORK hahahahahahah

Actually I'm fair sure there is or was large boars in some parts of the middle east. They're even bigger pests there cus they cant eat them.
2007-05-27, 11:39 AM #28
Originally posted by Spook:
Oh.

Well, yeah, that IS an arm cannon. Most people I know shoot deer with a .223. A bolt action is under 10 pounds, as are most AR-15s...

.223? That's illegal in my state. Varmint Rifles aren't exactly meant for "big game". We've had problems killing them with 7.62x39mm rounds (FMJ, not much of an issue with soft pointed rounds) and by problems I mean taking the better part of the day to get a dog to find it, chase it down (Through a swampy bramble filled cut over), run out of ammo, and finally take it out with a shotgun slug literally at the property line.

And yeah, my .303 Enfield is a fair bit lighter than the Garand, but then i'm not sure a five year old could normally handle the recoil off of it or any other similar cartridge...
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-05-27, 12:51 PM #29
well the kid looks pretty beefy... *shrug*
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-05-27, 1:02 PM #30
You have a point. His body could have acted as a walking shock absorber.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-05-27, 1:10 PM #31
.223? That's illegal in my state. Varmint Rifles aren't exactly meant for "big game". We've had problems killing them with 7.62x39mm rounds (FMJ, not much of an issue with soft pointed rounds) and by problems I mean taking the better part of the day to get a dog to find it, chase it down (Through a swampy bramble filled cut over), run out of ammo, and finally take it out with a shotgun slug literally at the property line.

And yeah, my .303 Enfield is a fair bit lighter than the Garand, but then i'm not sure a five year old could normally handle the recoil off of it or any other similar cartridge...

What state? Even so, I've hunted with a Remington 740 (.30-06) which a 5 year old could easily aim (the recoil, however, might be a problem, as you said)

I also guess it depends on what you're hunting. Perhaps our white tail here aren't your mutant killer deer.

But I agree, a 5 year old with a deer kill is kind of unusual.
2007-05-27, 7:55 PM #32
Louisiana. LA Wildlife & Fisheries is pretty serious about their job...serious in a Fascist kinda way...
Example: You and your friend are out fishing on the lake in a boat. There are two poles. Your friend doesn't have a fishing license. They WILL fine you, assuming they see you. You are only supposed to have one pole for every person legally fishing. There's also the fact that they have few restrictions. I've heard that the Police will call the WLF and say that "this person" might have something pertaining to the WLF in the trunk of their car and they will come and open that trunk for the cop. I believe I heard this from a WLF agent during my mandatory safety class.

Back on track...
From the 06-08 Regulations Book:
Quote:
E. It is illegal to hunt or shoot deer with firearms smaller than .22 caliber center-fire or a shotgun loaded with anything other than buckshot or rifled slug. Handguns may be used for hunting.

.223 is just barely legal...and the deer aren't [Normally] that big...
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-05-27, 8:09 PM #33
I've heard that the Police will call the WLF and say that "this person" might have something pertaining to the WLF in the trunk of their car and they will come and open that trunk for the cop. I believe I heard this from a WLF agent during my mandatory safety class.

It sounds like you heard this from THRAWN.

Atleast, it sure sounds like something he'd say.
2007-05-27, 10:39 PM #34

Doesn't seem likely, no. A .303 won't tear your arm off, but it certainly takes some degree of strength to control. The first round I ever shot was a .303, and it was no picnic.
2007-05-28, 3:23 AM #35
oh man the headline is terrible

↑ Up to the top!