Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Star Wars: Force Unleashed Part I: The Beginning
Star Wars: Force Unleashed Part I: The Beginning
2007-05-25, 6:33 PM #1
Part of developer interview

If you watch the interview, the developers originally were going to make a wookie game, but George rejected the idea. Personally I would have liked to play a wookie game. A wookie FPS style Star Wars game would be interesting I think (with ripping arms off and all).

Wish they would show more actual gameplay clips though.
2007-05-25, 6:42 PM #2
Didn't he already have a secret apprentice.... Mara Jade?
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-05-25, 6:49 PM #3
Mara Jade was the EMPEROR'S apprentice, and not even really much of one at that. Vader was his prime time apprentice, not that anyone cares, haha.

Mara Jade was more like the person Palpatine sent to do his personal little errands that required someone he could really trust, thats why she was called the Emperor's Hand.
www.myspace.com/Estrus

go there immediately.
2007-05-25, 6:56 PM #4
My mistake, it's been a while.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-05-25, 7:01 PM #5
sweet
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-05-25, 9:07 PM #6
Quote:
Personally I would have liked to play a wookie game. A wookie FPS style Star Wars game would be interesting I think (with ripping arms off and all).

1. This is why the internet isn't a democracy and you don't get a vote.

2. Ripping off arms would be impossible considering that we still can't manage good saber dismemberment.

Honestly, a Wookie game would be the worst idea for SW since Jar Jar. How would they even do it anyway?

Kashyyk during the Clone Wars? Been there... They weren't fairing too well when Delta Squad arrived... Also didn't fair too well a few hours into the battle with the CIS when Order 66 was issued.

Anything else is basically Jedi Knight minus a saber and plus a pair of big hairy hands considering how things were during the Imperial era...

I'd much rather see a second RC.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-05-25, 9:29 PM #7
Oh my god, George Lucas WOULD say something like that.

"I just got done talking about drama, and you want to have a game where the main character can't even bluntly explain the plot as it happens? How would you have a story that is SHOWN? That's not possible. Writing has to be a long illogical string of people telling the reader/viewer what's happening."

A Wookie game would be artistic, a step in the right direction for gaming in general, and a lot more interesting than a swords and magic game. The only thing this game has so far is a pretty physics engine. That doesn't mean pushing "force push" isn't going to do the same thing the 5000000th time you do it. The novelty of the gravity gun, and force in games wears off quickly. I could go into detail why force is a horrible game mechanic, but I won't. To put it simply, force in videogames don't involve a skill challenge.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-05-25, 9:30 PM #8
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/carl-1.png]

An interview about a game's concepts is nice all, but we've got nothing but concept ideas for months now. It's to the point now that I have to say, "that's great you are have all this technology and visions, but show me some damn ingame footage LucasArts." Lame.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-05-25, 10:01 PM #9
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Oh my god, George Lucas WOULD say something like that.

"I just got done talking about drama, and you want to have a game where the main character can't even bluntly explain the plot as it happens? How would you have a story that is SHOWN? That's not possible. Writing has to be a long illogical string of people telling the reader/viewer what's happening."

A Wookie game would be artistic, a step in the right direction for gaming in general, and a lot more interesting than a swords and magic game. The only thing this game has so far is a pretty physics engine. That doesn't mean pushing "force push" isn't going to do the same thing the 5000000th time you do it. The novelty of the gravity gun, and force in games wears off quickly. I could go into detail why force is a horrible game mechanic, but I won't. To put it simply, force in videogames don't involve a skill challenge.

I get what you're saying, I hate Jedi games as much as the next guy, but a game where the main character is a Wookie would be nigh impossible if only for the universe. Lone Wookies canonically don't last very long before either getting killed or enslaved and working the spice mines on Kessel doesn't make for a good game.

Technically, I suppose you could do an RPG of sorts on Kashyyk (Though Kashyyk itself has so far been kinda boring, barring one or two locations), but making a Wookie based FPS is kinda stretching it a little too far to just be different. If you're sick of Jedi how about a new X-Wing or Republic Commando?

Edit: Here's a idea for a Wookie FPS: You have a life debt to this unnamed NPC who wanders across the map at his leasure and constantly derides the "walking carpet" that won't stop following him. Your mission is to make sure he doesn't die. It just REEKS fun!
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-05-25, 11:14 PM #10
So, ITT nerd alert?

We get it Commander, you're a rabid fanboy, but what's considered "canon" has hardly been law for the video games. Most of them invent their own stories for the sake of gameplay.

Wasn't KotoR set like a thousand years before the films? To have it in the same universe doesn't mean it has to have anything to do with the movies. And come off it, people have had their arms removed in video games since even Jedi Knight.
2007-05-26, 12:28 AM #11
Wookiee.
Wookiee.
Wookiee!
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-05-26, 1:57 AM #12
Wookiee? Wookiee! Wookiee.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-05-26, 2:16 AM #13
What did I miss? I didn't feel like downloading a 50 meg video. >_>
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-05-26, 8:30 AM #14
Before watching the video? Concept art of spamming force push

After watching the video? In front of concept art, a bunch of developers saying it is awesome to be making a game, collaborating with GL, where you can kick *** a.k.a. spam force push.

As Yoda would say, "Still skeptical I am."
2007-05-26, 8:57 AM #15
Yeah, sounds/looks awesome but the question of course is how intuitive will it be. These games have failed time and time again to give that simple feel of Force freedom, i.e. the feeling that you can do anything you want with your surroundings.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2007-05-26, 12:30 PM #16
To be fair this has made me very interested in the game now. I just hope that they manage to deliver.
nope.
2007-05-26, 12:39 PM #17
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
What did I miss? I didn't feel like downloading a 50 meg video. >_>

A bunch of concept art and prerenderd video.

Nothing that really gives hope for the acctualy game portion.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-05-26, 5:37 PM #18
You guys are all such pessimists. I think it looks like lots of fun. :)
DO NOT WANT.
2007-05-26, 5:48 PM #19
Zell is right on the button.
nope.
2007-05-26, 7:02 PM #20
Originally posted by Zell:
You guys are all such pessimists. I think it looks like lots of fun. :)

What looks like fun?
There's no acctual gameplay shown.

I'm not saying that the game won't be good, I'm just saying that what they've shown is not enough to base a judgement on.

All they've shown is what they want to achive with one aspect of the game.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-05-26, 7:11 PM #21
Exactly!

So I guess it's better to say it sounds like fun instead of it looks like fun.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-05-26, 8:07 PM #22
Well they have shown a sweet physics demo with materials that act like they should, and unscripted AI that thinks for itself and grabs edges and stuff. That looks like fun.
DO NOT WANT.

↑ Up to the top!