Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → So I was thinking about what I should do after I graduate
So I was thinking about what I should do after I graduate
2007-05-26, 8:53 PM #1
though it's still 2 years away, but still, my friend and I were talking about two programs, Americorps and Educate America, where you serve for a year or two and they help pay off student loans or help with grad school. They just struck me as interesting. The bad part would be that they would take me away from cultivating connections in my field and whatnot, but what are your opinions?

[url]www.americorps.org[/url]
[url]www.educateamerica.org[/url]
(if you guys wanted to check them out)

Know any other organizations like these? Would you guys do it?
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2007-05-26, 9:06 PM #2
What about the Peace Corps? Do you like travelling?

It seems like every Peace Corp person I've met has handful of interesting stories to tell, including my dad. I'm interested in this.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-05-26, 9:14 PM #3
I'm diabetic, I don't think the Peace Corps would be the best idea for me
2007-05-26, 9:55 PM #4
A friend of mine did Americorp a few years ago. She ended up being assigned to one a pretty ghetto elementary school in Oakland, but she liked it, for the most part.
Pissed Off?
2007-05-26, 10:53 PM #5
I was in Americorps. Good projects all around.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-05-26, 11:35 PM #6
I think being a pro musician is all about who knows you, so the longer you put off establishing yourself as a working musician the longer it'll take to get to the top. That said, I also think being a pro musician sucks in many respects, so this thing you're talking about might be really good.

(I know you're a marketing lady so maybe what I wrote was pointless, but eh)

edit - Not to make this about me, but I sort of envy Lord Kuat for going to medical school. I never aspired to be a doctor, but it seems like a solid career.

edit - I guess that doesn't help you either. oops.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-05-27, 12:34 AM #7
haha I'm also a vocal performance major, but yeah, I'm planning on going with marketing
2007-05-27, 12:51 AM #8
I don't know about you, but I'm gonna go to Mozambique and live in a sewer when I ultimately fail at life! Yay! ^_^

And as Checkerboard Nightmare would say, yay for marketing!

yeah that was helpful
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-05-27, 12:54 AM #9
Ugh—marketing. Do us all a favor and don't.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-05-27, 1:09 AM #10
That reminded me of...

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/garosaon/20020329_authority2.gif]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-05-27, 1:12 AM #11
I'm thinking, If I do animation as planned, I'm going to try my ****ing hardest to work on something cartoon network related, or provided I learn 3d animation try my ****ing hardest to move back here and get a job at bethesda softworks.
2007-05-27, 4:52 AM #12
A good way to mix marketing and music togheter is to go retail. my Boss has a B.A. in marketing and owns a music store. works pretty well.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2007-05-27, 5:50 AM #13
Those sound like good organizations to get involved with. It's always nice when you can help others while helping yourself.
2007-05-27, 7:16 AM #14
Just to say it again, I think Americorps sounds cool.

Also, I think it'll help if you're able to get some sort of internship in college. But that's just general help-advice stuff you probably already knew.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2007-05-27, 5:18 PM #15
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
That reminded me of...

[ comic ]

<3

And I'm not leaning towards the advertising side of marketing at the moment

↑ Up to the top!