Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → general Question about Sound cards
general Question about Sound cards
2004-07-21, 8:25 PM #1
i feel kind of stupid, but as much as i know about computers i've never thought about sound cards, i've spent so much time looking into Processors/ Ram/ Video cards, i've overlooked this part of computing.

SO i guess what i've mainly wanted to know is, does the soundcard actually provide performance gain, or pulling demand off of the onboard audio.

or

Does it just let you have more complicated audio system, dobly 5.1 etc....

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-07-21, 8:38 PM #2
If you are switching from onboard to an add-in card, it does take a small load off the cpu. Not enough to make a big difference though.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-21, 8:40 PM #3
Mostly--more complicated audio. Depends from game to game.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-21, 9:49 PM #4
All you need to know about sound cards is Audigy. Audigy 2 if you can afford it, otherwise Audigy 1s are so cheap and good your ears will hate you for not buying one earlier.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-21, 9:51 PM #5
I always used onboard sound and crappy desktop speakers until this most recent computer when I went for an Audigy 2 w/ 6.1 surround sounds. Never ever going back.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-21, 10:09 PM #6
I use an old sound blaster 16 PCI and it has incredible sound quality.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-22, 8:51 AM #7
Turtle Beach Catalina.

Nuff said.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-22, 8:52 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Turtle Beach Catalina.

Nuff said.
</font>

Bleh. I was using my Sound Blaster Live 5.1 for years, just bought an Audigy 2 ZS. That thing is awesome [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-22, 9:15 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
All you need to know about sound cards is Audigy. Audigy 2 if you can afford it, otherwise Audigy 1s are so cheap and good your ears will hate you for not buying one earlier.

</font>

He speaks the truth

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-22, 9:24 AM #10
I hate Creative with a passion so I'm really happy I just dumped my SB Live! card and bought a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-22, 9:27 AM #11
The Santa Cruz's are NICE cheap cards. Very nice.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!