Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Roar tech stuff
Roar tech stuff
2007-05-30, 8:32 PM #1
Namely, a "what should I buy first" thread. Here's the thing:

My computer is crapping out. At first, since I built it last summer, I boot it up and sometimes the computer will freeze -- the LED HDD read light stays lit and the system checks in loops the CD and floppy drive. I build this rig on my own, and it's my first computer.

A few weeks ago, I let my stepbrother use this computer as I worked on downloading something on the other one (not pr0n). He listened with headphones and broke the jack on the front part of the computer. Now I hear weird flute-like pitches when listening.

Now, when I boot up, it doesn't appear to freeze; however the output jacks in the back of the computer don't work (I don't get a signal for the monitor, I don't get a laser on my MX500 mouse, etc.)

Another problem is when I play a game, usually Oblivion or WoW, with my 6600 GT craptastic card, I get a graphics problem. There's a bug where when I look at a certain pixel, it fans out into an array of color. No problems with pictures/videos.

If I get a video card, I was looking at the 8800 GTS series (though always open to suggestions).

Current specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual processor 3800+ 2.00 GHz
1gb RAM dual-channel memory
6600GT video graphics card
cheap ASRock 939Dual-VSTA Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard
Seagate SATA II 250 GB HDD
Integrated crappy soundcard
Antec Sonata II case - door broken, front jack broken.

Cost would be ~$350 for the video card alone

---------
What should I buy item #2?
---------
Sennheiser HD 650
Amp

My sound on my computer has been out of whack since my front jacks has been broken. I always wanted to have high-end ear phones to try the audiphile bug. Right now the price is $250 cheaper than normal (it's $350 right now).

Cost would be $500 with both amp and HD650.

---------
In conclusion
---------

It is apparent that I need a new computer. The whole thing just seems to be breaking apart on me.

I also been wanting new high-end earphones for about a year now, and the sale ends very quickly -- faster than I could build a computer. (The sale being the HD650's are $250 cheaper than normal).

What do you think Massasi? Save $250 on the sale for the HD650's, or get an upgraded computer? Perhaps get a whole new computer?
2007-05-30, 8:41 PM #2
spending 500$ on headphones + amp is totally ridiculous if you are going to be using onboard sound.
2007-05-30, 8:42 PM #3
It's not just onboard. I'll use it for other things too.

Anyways, the amp will connect using a DAC USB cable which bypasses the soundcard completely.
2007-05-30, 9:09 PM #4
Build a new computer. Buy a soundcard with a good analog output like an X-Fi. Or spend more on something professional like an E-MU or Juli@ card. Then buy some Etymotic ER-4Ps, they're far better than the HD650 and don't need an amp.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-05-30, 9:40 PM #5
Emon.

What are a good pair of IEMs that don't such and won't kill my wallet?

Also, are OTTO headphones any good?
2007-05-30, 10:04 PM #6
ER-4Ps are good and not that expensive. The ER-6i are their little brother and quite affordable. They both lack bass (actually, they're just flat compared to others), but decent equalization can really make them thump.

Shure E2cs are probably what you want, though, since they're also more comfortable and the cable doesn't make noise when you walk around. Actually any Shure E* or E*c is good, just get whichever fits your budget. The C just means "consumer," it's identical to the non-C models (which you usually find at pro-audio stores and such online).

OTTO? What?
2007-05-30, 11:55 PM #7
OTTO

http://www.hearotto.com/

Thanks for the advice.
2007-05-31, 6:39 AM #8
You could always try to save some money and go with the Grado SR-60's. The cans don't need an amp and sound pretty good for the price. It's not worth buying good gear if your source still sucks.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2007-05-31, 7:28 AM #9
I would like to thank you all for the advice. I think I'll start by buying a motherboard and graphics card. I hope that fixes my problems...

I still think either Sennheiser HD 650 or Beyerdynamic DT880's are more of what I'm looking for, rather than IEM's (although those are nice; and may buy them later this summer. I want some open air cans right now).

If you ask me, looking at OTTO's products in a spec sense, they're not good. But they advertise for bluetooth, MP3 headphones, and other things that arn't exactly considered hi-end. I havn't heard about them though...may be good if you're looking for headphones just for MP3 playing. They use lithium ion batteries for their wireless stuff too, so that's a plus (recharging).

But you didn't ask me, so you probably don't care.
2007-05-31, 8:35 AM #10
In that case get the DT 880s. I've owned them and the HD600s, the 880s are far superior.
2007-05-31, 10:50 AM #11
Could you give any advice for a new mobo, Emon?

Right now all I need is a new mobo and graphics card.
2007-05-31, 12:41 PM #12
I'm not that up to date, but my dad got an nForce 680i motherboard late last year and it's really nice.
2007-05-31, 2:49 PM #13
If you're going to stick with the x2 you'll need a 939 chipset board.

Try out the ASUS A8NSLI-Deluxe or Premium. They're both fantastic boards.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2007-05-31, 3:16 PM #14
My headphones cost 20 bucks and are the best valued anything ever.
2007-05-31, 3:28 PM #15
Originally posted by Yecti:

Thanks, I think I'll order one of those.
2007-05-31, 5:47 PM #16
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
My headphones cost 20 bucks and are the best valued anything ever.

Unless your headphones are the Koss KSC-35, 55, 75 or PortaPros, then no, they are not. Not to be elitist, but since you're TE it's more than likely you have no idea what you're talking about. The drivers used in all those Koss headphones are pretty much the best value in all of audio.
2007-06-01, 6:58 AM #17
Originally posted by Yecti:

They appear to be out of stock on newegg, unless I buy an open-box version. Know of any other sites that might sell it?

↑ Up to the top!