Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Home theatre questions
Home theatre questions
2007-05-31, 8:39 AM #1
Okay so I'm finally ready to set up my home theatre. But one of my main concerns is, I want to know if I can connect both my PC, Xbox 360, PS2, and have cable tv / satellite all at the same time without having to switch wires. Does anyone know of an HDTV that supports so many components to be plugged it at the same time? I was also thinking about adding in a good set of surround sound speakers.

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

2007-05-31, 9:00 AM #2
Well, most of those devices can use different types of inputs. You could have your PC connected through HDMI/DVI, 360 through VGA, PS2 through composite (or component, if component cables exist for PS2), and whatever your satellite receiver uses. I'm sure there are quite a few HDTVs that support all of those, and you only really need one of each (depending on what your satellite needs).
2007-05-31, 9:42 AM #3
My HDTV could connect all of those, and it's pretty old and only a 42".

3 component inputs, 3 composite inputs, and 2 RF coax inputs.

Newer sets will obviously have HDMI, which will be best for the PC (and xbox 360 if you have an elite) and cable box if it supports it. Otherwise you can plug in the 360 to component, along with your cable box. And the PS2 gets whatever is left (component if possible, otherwise composite).

So yeah, even a decently large HDTV should have at least that many connections available to you.
2007-05-31, 10:15 AM #4
And if I have a TV tuner in my PC, would it still be possible to switch between watching TV from my PC and through the cable box?

2007-05-31, 10:49 AM #5
My HDTV has so many input jacks that I'd have to assume yes.

To the second part of the question, I don't know, as I don't have a TV tuner. However again I'd assume: yes.
2007-05-31, 11:05 AM #6
That would totally depend on what software you use. If you end up using Media Center, it's pretty much intended for such use.
2007-05-31, 2:35 PM #7
You can get switch boxes for any / all of those connections if your TV doesnt have enough inputs. Yes you will have to get up and manually flick a switch to change from your PC to your PS2, but it's better than constantly unplugging wires.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-06-01, 6:09 AM #8
Quote:
You can get switch boxes for any / all of those connections if your TV doesnt have enough inputs. Yes you will have to get up and manually flick a switch to change from your PC to your PS2, but it's better than constantly unplugging wires.

You can get such things with remotes.

i.e. http://www.radioparts.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Category=SX0206&Product=64531010 comes with a remote.

Or you could use video switching on your amp.

↑ Up to the top!