Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My Vista Experience...
My Vista Experience...
2007-06-01, 6:18 AM #1
...was wonderful.

I pop in the disk, install, then install my wireless reciever drivers. It works just fine, then I download the ATI Catalyst Control Center. What do you know, I installed Vista in 30 minutes...
2007-06-01, 6:47 AM #2
Yeah... I remember the honeymoon period too.

Vista was great, our first couple nights together were magical. We played some splinter cell, we installed trillian. Everything was great, I couldn't wait to tell my friends about how great aero glass looked on my shiny macbook pro.

Then we got home, the love started to fade. It promised to easily install command and conquer 3, no problems. But when I asked it to, it was more concerned with putting it in the games folder than actually installing. And when we made our vows it said it would play it online no problem... my last OS had no issues with it... but vista just put his foot down.

But I worked with it, we spent some time together, it met me half way and allowed me to play SP, and I was alright with that. Not all OSs can be perfect, right?

So we went out with friends, we headed down the building to play worms 4 with some of my friends. I figured it couldn't treat me here like he did at home....

Sure enough, he abused me there, right in front of everyone. First he wouldn't install Worms, then wouldn't let starforce work, finally having to make me get into administrator mode just to get anything done, even then, he lagged on a state of the art system. It was really awkward, everyone in the room was silent, they didn't know how to respond to an OS just abusing it's user for no reason like that. They tried to help. "Let's just play UT2k4, they said." I fumbled for the disks, "sure, I replied, it won't do it again, I swear"

But sure enough, it did it again. Random disk errors. XP would never do this to me, it installed UT just fine a couple days ago. Maybe it's just being temperamental, I mean, he'd had a long day of browsing, and we'd both had a couple drinks.

Failure, again. It just smacked me down in front of everyone. "Maybe we should just play some Halo 2", they tried to pull me away from it. We were apart for the rest of the evening, and things seemed to have calmed down.

We got home, prince of persia 3 wouldn't run without hacking it, mIRC was giving me issues, trillian would randomly crash. It even had the nerve to reset my system clock every time I logged on, to some random time.

My friends tried to help. "Maybe you should go back to XP", they cried. "I hear even linux is doing some great things with games now". But it was no use. It was a cycle, I'd get hit by vista, and only go back into it's arms. We sought counselling. The message boards were no help. Only groups of people that had been through the same thing as me. Some were encouraging. "Well, I got Company of Heroes installed with minimal effort". Others were pointing me to a window of what was to come. "I tried to install Freelancer last night... 8 hours of attempts and hacking and still no luck".

Windows offered patches, to try to fix what we had. But it only caused more problems. Vista was a monster, it didn't want anything that would help me enjoy my life. The last random crash, I ran. I didn't know where I was going, but I knew I wanted to be away from the thing that had stolen the best months of my life.

I was lucky enough to escape. I ran to tell my story to others. Don't fool yourself into thinking an abusive, hateful, wretched OS is anything but. Remember my story as you go on your own journey, but please, heed my words.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-01, 6:51 AM #3
I dunno. I kinda like Windows Vista. The only thing wrong with it (that I've noticed) is that they change the name of certain things just for the sake of changing the names. Confusing.
2007-06-01, 7:45 AM #4
The thing I hate is the loltastic driver support.

I've never had any of the issues fishy here described though. Maybe it's because he's using a Macbook. :v:
2007-06-01, 8:02 AM #5
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
The thing I hate is the loltastic driver support.

I've never had any of the issues fishy here described though. Maybe it's because he's using a Macbook. :v:

Well, the system clock thing was because I was dual booting, but all the other issues were replicated by others on other machines.

I still have the bruises... nothing will wash them out... must keep scrubbing...
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-01, 11:30 AM #6
The reason you can get rid of the bruises is because youre scrubbing them...
2007-06-01, 12:46 PM #7
It looks ugly as hell. I'm using it now, and the sheen and blipping is going to have to go.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-01, 1:06 PM #8
My Vista install was relatively quiet...unless you count Dell's Express Upgrade including a BIOS Upgrade that made my motherboard inoperable. All or most of my games seem to be running fine. No reinstalls necessary... My only problem was that I needed new drivers for my X-Fi sound card and that Vista didn't support EAX. Sound still crackles out and in sometimes...(Kinda rare now) and I got the EAX issue fixed with Creative's ALchemy.

I read somewhere (Was it here?) that Vista and STALKER didn't get along right out of the box... I haven't had any problems with it at all.

I have "some" issues with flickering. Most noticeable in DoW and to some extent Oblivion. Not sure if it's a graphics card issue (New drivers?) or something to do with Sidebar... I can ignore it easily though...
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-06-01, 1:15 PM #9
I haven't had any problems with C&C 3.
2007-06-01, 1:15 PM #10
Originally posted by JediKirby:
It looks ugly as hell. I'm using it now, and the sheen and blipping is going to have to go.

Yeah, lets turn off Aero! :downs:
2007-06-01, 1:29 PM #11
Fish - pretty much the best post ever.

Vista really ought to be a "she" though. There isn't a man alive who can be that much of a b*****.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-06-01, 2:06 PM #12
Originally posted by happydud:
Fish - pretty much the best post ever.

Vista really ought to be a "she" though. There isn't a man alive who can be that much of a b*****.

Haha, I'm glad there was someone else that appreciated the sheer liquid wonderment of that post. It was incredible, I loved it.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2007-06-01, 8:25 PM #13
Thats what I'm arguing about -- Vista is working beautifully, WoW and all Source games work fine, haven't had time to install CnC 3 or CoD2, though. But so far, kudos to Vista...

↑ Up to the top!