Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Virtual haircut
Virtual haircut
2007-06-01, 3:07 PM #1
This is a very good example of a binaural recording. Listen to it with headphones!
[mp3]http://3gpvids.com/virtualhaircut.mp3[/mp3]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-06-01, 4:09 PM #2
I love these things. Thanks for sharing!
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-06-01, 4:21 PM #3
Really cool.
2007-06-01, 4:49 PM #4
wow. that's insanely awesome.

where can I find more?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-06-01, 5:08 PM #5
Google "binaural recordings." There's one demo with the sound of a matchbox shaking, and a few others. Unfortunately most of them suck.
2007-06-01, 5:13 PM #6
the bag over the head part gave me chills... soooo awesome
2007-06-01, 6:12 PM #7
Yeah the bag as awesome.

Game company's should use this type of recording for games.
Scary games. :P
Back again
2007-06-01, 6:37 PM #8
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
Yeah the bag as awesome.

this always comes up and someone always points out there's a HUGE difference between binaural recordings and doing it in real time
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2007-06-01, 6:58 PM #9
Simulating binaural recordings in real time is quite difficult. There was one excellent technology that did it, among other things. It was called A3D. Creative killed it. :argh:
2007-06-01, 7:11 PM #10
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
this always comes up and someone always points out there's a HUGE difference between binaural recordings and doing it in real time

They could do it for a game like Myst.

That would be insanely awesome.
2007-06-01, 7:48 PM #11
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
Yeah the bag as awesome.

haha.. I used the breathing from the matchbox one for sounds in Laboratory volume 2.. unfortunatly I never got too far on it
||||||||||||||||||||
2007-06-01, 9:40 PM #12
That was simply spectacular. When he whispers "septerra" (or whatever it's called), it's uncannily real, almost disturbingly so.
2007-06-01, 9:47 PM #13
won't play for me, it just says buffering. been waiting for a couple minutes now, I know my connection isn't that bad.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-06-01, 9:57 PM #14
Originally posted by djwguitarman:
won't play for me, it just says buffering. been waiting for a couple minutes now, I know my connection isn't that bad.

Just download it directly.
2007-06-01, 9:59 PM #15
The thing is, intensity and time delays only make up a small component of the audio cues that make up binaural sound. If the position of the ears were the only factors, then it would be impossible to tell the difference between noise in front of you, above you, or behind you. Turns out the shape of your ear helps to imprint the necessary cues on incoming sound, and that's what makes binaural sound so hard to synthesize.

And whatever Product they are selling certainly is remarkable, but notice how the Foreword/Backwards/Above distinction was pretty weak (IMHO), so they are still having difficulty emulating the shape of the ear.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2007-06-01, 10:32 PM #16
The voice acting makes me want to kill myself.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2007-06-01, 10:37 PM #17
Wow this pretty cool. I remember a SBL demo that let you position sounds and stuff in 3d and it was almost as cool as this.
2007-06-01, 10:43 PM #18
Originally posted by West Wind:
but notice how the Foreword/Backwards/Above distinction was pretty weak (IMHO), so they are still having difficulty emulating the shape of the ear.

Well to be fair we aren't very good at that anyways. The matches recording did a pretty good job though.
2007-06-01, 11:15 PM #19
Originally posted by Lord Kuat:
That was simply spectacular. When he whispers "septerra" (or whatever it's called), it's uncannily real, almost disturbingly so.

yeah, that scared the crap out of me, honestly. I jumped.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-06-01, 11:58 PM #20
I've heard this before, but it doesn't get old. It's very cool.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-06-02, 12:49 AM #21
The bag on the head is the best part.
2007-06-03, 10:57 PM #22
Oh my god! I was cringing when he brought the scissors close! I've never heard of this type of recording, but it's amazing!
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2007-06-04, 4:43 AM #23
Cool stuff.

I guess if sound cards had as fierce development and competition going on as video cards, it wouldn't be entirely impossible to get real time simulations in a reasonably close future.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS

↑ Up to the top!