Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Lord of the Rings Online
Lord of the Rings Online
2007-06-01, 10:09 PM #1
Has anyone played it? If so, is it fun? A friend and I have been contemplating purchasing it. The reviews have been favorable. I need a substitute for WoW :v:
2007-06-01, 10:26 PM #2
It's a clone of wow that is less entertaining
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2007-06-02, 12:14 AM #3
Originally posted by drizzt2k2:

Though LotR Online is less cartoony and more enjoyable :awesome:
2007-06-02, 12:15 AM #4

It's more like WoW with EQII-ish graphics. I played a little during the stress test and it wasn't all that fun. It's a little better than WoW in some ways but not by much.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2007-06-02, 12:30 AM #5
I've played both WoW and LOTRO, however I never really liked WoW. Lord of the Rings Online is a really great MMO with an awesome community. Really, I think the community is what set the game apart from any other MMO I have ever played.

People literally role-play in this game. In the few servers that I actually played on during the beta I noticed that almost no one talked out of context (unless they used a specific chat feature to talk out of role-playing context). It made the game far more enjoyable, and not to mention it made forming fellowships and making your own adventure a lot more fun than just creating a regular guild or clan.

One thing that seems to be a huge repeating factor in almost every single MMO is the constant grinding of XP and never ending satisfaction of repetition to better your character. However, I really didn't notice any repetition with LOTRO, as it was one of the very few games where the quests were actually interesting, entertaining and different. Sure it had it's "go out and kill 5 bears and bring me back their hides", but those were more just for getting some quick cash.

All in all I'd recommend the game; however, I missed out on my opportunity to get the $9.99 monthly fee rather than the $15.00 a month or whatever it currently is now. I don't really have the money to dish out for an MMO at the moment, but I have assured myself that it will be on my soon to purchase list.
I hope that helped your decision :)
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2007-06-02, 5:51 AM #6
I played the beta and thought that it looked quite nice but I didn't much care for the gameplay. There's also no PvP and I can't tolerate that. Age of Conan is where the action is gonna be (fighting while riding your own mount, weaving your own spells, aiming your own bow, etc.).
2007-06-02, 5:54 AM #7
The game's content is great, and theres definatly fun to be had.

However, its important to realise that the game engine itself is utter crap, as such you will suffer from stuttering and framerate drops even on the best of machines.

Oh and like Oblivion, you'll see the world pop up and shift around you.

I personally can't stand that, but others seem to be fine with it.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-06-02, 7:59 AM #8
The quest are more elaborate too. You'll usually end up reading 10 pages worth of text every day, not that it's a bad thing imo, but for some it makes them lose interest.
2007-06-02, 12:42 PM #9
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
People literally role-play in this game. In the few servers that I actually played on during the beta I noticed that almost no one talked out of context (unless they used a specific chat feature to talk out of role-playing context). It made the game far more enjoyable, and not to mention it made forming fellowships and making your own adventure a lot more fun than just creating a regular guild or clan.

There are non-RP servers, right? Talking in character isn't my thing.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-06-02, 1:25 PM #10

this is the only post that needs to be in this thread.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-06-02, 2:08 PM #11
Quote:

Back again
2007-06-02, 2:57 PM #12
I have a level 37 Minstrel on Brandywine. I've been playing since closed beta, and the game keeps getting better.

It's more fun than WoW, has better graphics, a good storyline, characters you actually care about, and less grinding.

My only complaint is that there is often a lot of running between quests and objectives. Run here (takes 5 to 10 minutes) run back (5 to 10 minutes) now run to this guy to finish! (3 to 5 minutes). This gets better after 35 when you get a mount.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2007-06-02, 3:42 PM #13
It's just as boring as every other MMO out there.

Still putting all my hope into Age Of Conan.
2007-06-03, 9:21 AM #14

Correction. It is a clone of WoW with more innovation.

Beta was fun. Going to wait and see how Sword of the New World plays out before I decide which one I'll be converting to from WoW. Playing instruments and stuff was pretty neat. It seems to be very RP focussed.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."

↑ Up to the top!