Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Executing php scripts client-side
Executing php scripts client-side
2007-06-03, 4:27 PM #1
I've written several php scripts, and I need a more efficient way to test/debug them, since right now I have to FTP them before they work. I was wondering if there was a way that I could execute these scripts client-side in my browser so I wouldn't have to upload them.

I'm running Ubuntu on my workstation (although it's not really set up to be a server) , and the php5 package is installed. Do I need anything else?

Help would be appreciated.
2007-06-03, 4:29 PM #2
you can run php scripts from the command line but the easiest way if you're doing web pages is to install apache and run scripts via HTTP on localhost.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-06-03, 4:29 PM #3
This way is even easier than that.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-03, 4:54 PM #4
I got it working by setting up apache. Thanks, guys.
2007-06-03, 5:21 PM #5
Shouldn't a super net guru like you know how to do this already?
2007-06-03, 7:00 PM #6
Especially with a job in web development.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-03, 7:26 PM #7
Originally posted by Rob:
Shouldn't a super net guru like you know how to do this already?

I simply had a question and I needed an answer, which several people were kind enough to provide. Like most people, I'm not omniscient and I sometimes need information. Do you have some sort of problem with this, or how I do my job?
2007-06-03, 7:31 PM #8
He had a valid point though.

I would expect a web developer to at least know how to test his own scripts and pages on his PC.
2007-06-03, 8:17 PM #9
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Especially with a job in web development.

He didn't even have to pay a finder's fee!
2007-06-03, 8:25 PM #10
Originally posted by Rob:
He didn't even have to pay a finder's fee!

Now you're just trolling.

It's as if you have some personal problem with me, for whatever reason. I have nothing against you, so it seems unreasonable that you would act this way.

If you have a problem with me, go ahead and elaborate (perhaps we can resolve this). Just do it in Private Messages.
2007-06-03, 9:24 PM #11
I tried installing apache and php on my system so I can do php myself but I don't know how to do it correctly, despite reading the documentation on how to do it. So far I got apache and running but I can't seem to get the php setup correctly. Whenever I try to open a php file with my browser, it keeps trying to open/save the file rather than have the server run the file.

Hopefully when I start my PHP class this summer (which is an online class), they'll have some kind of system in place or a download that'll help me do php right.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2007-06-04, 3:39 AM #12
SavageX, you shouldn't open the file in your browser. You need to open http://localhost/ (or http://127.0.0.1) and from there browse to where your php-files are located. Ideally you'd have your Apache already set up to the correct location.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-06-04, 5:05 AM #13
And all of that is annoying and it's so much nicer to use things like the link I provided (Although that's not the one I used, I can't remember the one we used)
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-04, 7:06 AM #14
Use XAMPP, its Apache, MySQL, PHP and a mail daemon all configured and can be installed to a flash drive.
Yet Another Massassi Map | Sadly I Have a Blog Too
2007-06-04, 7:31 AM #15
I remember poor JediGandie having to listen to me piss and moan on MSN while I was trying to install Apache on my pc last summer. *snickers
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-06-04, 8:16 AM #16
Originally posted by JediKirby:
And all of that is annoying and it's so much nicer to use things like the link I provided (Although that's not the one I used, I can't remember the one we used)

I would use it, but the solution you provided is only for Win32.

↑ Up to the top!