Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Game Suggestions
Game Suggestions
2007-06-03, 7:56 PM #1
I need a suggestion for a game that's preferably involved, long, and easy to pick up and put down again. Why? I need something to put on my laptop to play when there's a break during work so I'm not spending anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour bored to tears with nothing to do.

It has to be able to run on an ATI Mobility Xpress 1100 as well. If that turd of a card doesn't narrow things down A LOT I'm not sure what will. I was planning on play KotOR again. Yeah... Thanks to that chipset, I can't get above 3 frames per second. Even when I turn everything down to ***-ugly settings.

I have Defcon, but that's a yawn inducing game after a bit, even though it is awesome.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-06-03, 8:04 PM #2
Starcraft, Diablo, and The Sims.
Back again
2007-06-03, 8:05 PM #3
red faction, call of duty
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-06-03, 8:24 PM #4
Any of the Civ games?
2007-06-03, 8:35 PM #5
Quote:
involved, long, and easy to pick up and put down again.

lol wut?
2007-06-03, 8:41 PM #6
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:
lol wut?

KotOR was involved, and by that I mean that there were a lot of side quests, lots of running back and forth, and things didn't always happen fast. That also made it long. It's also not that hard to play, most of the controls involve clicking interface buttons with the mouse. And it's easy to pick up and start playing, make a little progress, then save and stop when I have to.

I'd like to kinda stay away from shooters and strategy games. I'm not thrilled with the prospect of playing a shooter on my laptop, and I just flat out suck at strategy games. I've never had the mindset for them.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-06-03, 8:43 PM #7
If you liked KotOR, try Baldur's Gate 2, Dungeon Siege (2), Neverwinter Nights...
2007-06-03, 9:47 PM #8
Fallout 1/2
Civ 2/3/4
2007-06-03, 9:50 PM #9
Sid Meier's Pirates!

In fact, I think I'm going to install that on my laptop now.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2007-06-03, 10:09 PM #10
N.

It even has boss mode, where you hit tab and the game halts and goes blank until you hit tab again.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2007-06-03, 10:42 PM #11
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
Sid Meier's Pirates!

Seconded!
Pissed Off?
2007-06-04, 2:15 AM #12
Fallout 1+2. I'd also suggest Fallout: Tactics, but you said you're not particularly strategically minded. To be honest, I think even you'd get something out of it, since you don't really need to play it in a particularly tactical way. It's more of a squad-based shooter.

Baldur's Gate 1+2 are both great games which will run pretty much flawlessly on a laptop. I'd imagine Icewind Dale 1+2 would also fit that description, but I'm still waiting for my copies to arrive :D

Neverwinter Nights won't look as good as it would on a desktop, but it'll run pretty well.
2007-06-04, 2:17 AM #13
Along the same lines as Baldur's gate, Siege Of Avalon is a great game too.
2007-06-04, 4:15 AM #14
Gothic 1+2, although some people find the controlls hard at the beginning. But you can play it with the keyboard, which should be a pluss for a laptop, in my opinion.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-06-04, 5:05 AM #15
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
Sid Meier's Pirates!

Thirded.
幻術
2007-06-04, 9:19 AM #16
EA Sports: Cricket 2004

:tinfoil:

2007-06-04, 12:06 PM #17
I didn't like Pirates.
2007-06-04, 12:23 PM #18
I don't know if it fits your requirement of "long", but HL1's SP (and the Opposing Force expansion) runs on pretty much anything, is enjoyable, and is easy to pick up and put down.

Of course, since it's an FPS you'd need a mouse to play on your laptop.
2007-06-04, 12:37 PM #19
Originally posted by Acharjay:
N.

It even has boss mode, where you hit tab and the game halts and goes blank until you hit tab again.

This game is going to rape my life. It's A-D-D-I-C-T-I-V-E.

↑ Up to the top!