Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Mr. Brooks
Mr. Brooks
2007-06-04, 1:55 AM #1
Really great movie. Go see it now.
>>untie shoes
2007-06-04, 4:11 AM #2
Really great? Does that mean Kevin Costner somehow figured out how to not be Kevin Costner? I need to know how big of a Costner fan you are before I can trust "really great."
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-06-04, 6:22 AM #3
I never really got the "Kevin Costner is a terrible actor," mentality. Of the performances I've seen him in - JFK and Field of Dreams, he's great.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-06-04, 6:34 AM #4
He was so dreamy in Robin Hood ^_^
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-06-04, 7:56 AM #5
I would expect this sort of review from sajn_fatster, but certainly not from you!
Think while it's still legal.
2007-06-04, 8:23 AM #6
I think he's trying to beat the hippie-haired freak to the punch.
2007-06-04, 8:52 AM #7
What's that movie about?
All I know of it is a poster at the theater which gave no indication of the premise of the movie.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-06-04, 8:53 AM #8
Its about a certain Mr. Brooks, obviously. Doof.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-06-04, 9:08 AM #9
From IMDb:
The story follows a man (Costner) with a murderous alter ego (Hurt). A tough detective (Moore) whose devotion to her craft catches the attention and respect of the serial killer she is hunting, leads to a symbiotic relationship.

Just add Dane Cook in there as the guy who photographed Costner's character killing some people and you've got the premise.
2007-06-04, 10:59 AM #10
I can see it now...

Coster: Hello Dane. You filmed me doing some of my nasty business.

Cook: Now what is it with serial Killers? Do they eat alot of cereal? You figure they spend so much time plotting and planning so that even the mice and rats in the cold, dark room are surprised by how ingenious it was.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2007-06-04, 11:12 AM #11
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
From IMDb:
The story follows a man (Costner) with a murderous alter ego (Hurt). A tough detective (Moore) whose devotion to her craft catches the attention and respect of the serial killer she is hunting, leads to a symbiotic relationship.

Just add Dane Cook in there as the guy who photographed Costner's character killing some people and you've got the premise.

umm, sorry, but does anyone see a freakishly huge resemblance to silence of the lambs in there? I mean, lector doesn't really have an 'alter ego', per se, though a bit in red dragon, but still, come on now.
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2007-06-04, 11:35 AM #12
Originally posted by Jep:
Its about a certain Mr. Brooks, obviously. Doof.

Garth?
nope.
2007-06-04, 11:40 AM #13
Basically Costner is just a guy who gets off killing people. William Hurt plays his dark side, and Dane Cook is pretty much a villan.

Also, if you hate Dane Cook, go see this movie. It's worth it.
>>untie shoes
2007-06-04, 11:41 AM #14
Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
umm, sorry, but does anyone see a freakishly huge resemblance to silence of the lambs in there? I mean, lector doesn't really have an 'alter ego', per se, though a bit in red dragon, but still, come on now.

Uh... Hannibal Lecter doesn't have a split personality... Also, Costner isn't confined to a cell for 90% of the film, either.
2007-06-04, 11:43 AM #15
Well, metaphorically speaking, yes he is confined to a cell.
>>untie shoes
2007-06-04, 6:35 PM #16
Uh... Hannibal Lecter doesn't have a split personality... Also, Costner isn't confined to a cell for 90% of the film, either.

a) the overview i quoted didn't say split personality, it said alter-ego. this is a very different thing. if you see red dragon, lector does have an alter-ego until he's found out. He gives a very ritz dinner party at the start ofthe movie and is generally made out to have been a former socialite in all the movies. and i should have specified that i don;t mean jsut silence of the lambs, i mean the lector series in general. silence of the lambs is jsut the most famous.

b) uhh, so? jsut because he isn't confined to his cell doesn't suddenly make it not a rip-off.
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2007-06-04, 8:49 PM #17
Alter-ego storylines weren't born with Silence of the Lambs.
2007-06-04, 8:58 PM #18
Alter-ego storylines weren't born with Silence of the Lambs.

No, but alter-ego murderer stories where the lead detective becomes the object of the serial-killer's affection/obsession, while probably not born with SotL, do tend to draw one's mind to it.
A Knight's Tail
The Never Ending Story²

-----@%
2007-06-04, 9:41 PM #19
Just caught the end of it, and I loved it. I thought it was hilarious, actually.
2007-06-04, 9:55 PM #20
Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
No, but alter-ego murderer stories where the lead detective becomes the object of the serial-killer's affection/obsession, while probably not born with SotL, do tend to draw one's mind to it.

Yeah, I guess that's a good point.

Originally posted by RingMaster481:
Just caught the end of it, and I loved it. I thought it was hilarious, actually.

I heard that there's actually a lot of intentional humor in it, which perks my ears a bit to hear that it actually works in a film that seems to be serious from the trailer.
2007-06-04, 10:37 PM #21
Well it's actually a dark comedy. It doesn't come through very well from the trailer, but the final product is a great dark comedy.
>>untie shoes
2007-06-06, 3:34 PM #22
When I saw this thread, I thought that Anthony found out my name and was paging me..... Creepy
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve

↑ Up to the top!