Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → moral dilemma
moral dilemma
2007-06-05, 9:45 PM #1
so ive been thinking it would be nice to have a laptop when im sitting around bored on campus waiting for class. so ive picked out a nice one that would suit my needs here.
but my dilemma is, i could either spend this $800 on a laptop or i could upgrade my aging desktop to be ready for all the cool new games coming out (BIOSHOCK). desktop specs: amd athlon 3200+, 1GB DDR 400, Geforce 6800 GT, also still running XP. those are the only things id be upgrading for the desktop.

so massassi, what do you think. upgrade the desktop or keep the aging desktop and have a shiny new laptop.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-06-05, 9:50 PM #2
Remember if MS has their way you'll have to upgrade to Vista to play any of the new games (Halo 2 in my case :().

A laptop would be good IN class for note taking (I always wished I had one, at any rate). Office OneNote looked like a useful app for that.

You could always have option #3... get a cheaper laptop and upgrade your desktop partially.

[Edit: This thread needs poll.]

2007-06-05, 9:59 PM #3
Get a cheapass palm and take notes on that. No matter what, upgrade the desktop. You'll get way more use. We only SAY we'll use a laptop, and never do.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-05, 10:00 PM #4
How does morality come into this?
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2007-06-05, 10:44 PM #5
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Get a cheapass palm and take notes on that. No matter what, upgrade the desktop. You'll get way more use. We only SAY we'll use a laptop, and never do.

Which is funny, because I've been using mine a **** load.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-06-06, 2:05 AM #6
Yeah, I don't think I've touched my desktop in about a year and a half. It's pretty much just a media storage box now and I stream crap to my entertainment center.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-06-06, 4:56 AM #7
Quote:
We only SAY we'll use a laptop, and never do.

My laptop is on my lap.

My desktop is in storage.

Get the laptop. You don't need to play the latest and greatest games; you do need to surf massassi from the toilet.
Wikissassi sucks.
2007-06-06, 4:59 AM #8
That explains the ****ty quality of posts here :suicide:
2007-06-06, 5:03 AM #9
Bioshock.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-06, 5:06 AM #10
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Bioshock.

Drop a few notes on a 360, play BIOSHOCK on that and use the remainder to upgrade your desktop.
2007-06-06, 6:43 AM #11
Originally posted by Deadman:
How does morality come into this?

twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-06-06, 6:48 AM #12
The morally correct decision is upgrade the desktop. Duh. :ninja:
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-06-06, 8:21 AM #13
The only correct moral choice is to sell your desktop, give the money to the poor and go live in a hole.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-06-06, 8:22 AM #14
Better yet, give the money to us.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-06-06, 9:49 AM #15
Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Better yet, give the money to us.

That guy has the right idea.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-06, 9:52 AM #16
Originally posted by Martyn:
Drop a few notes on a 360, play BIOSHOCK on that and use the remainder to upgrade your desktop.

Isn't that killing one bird with two stones?
2007-06-06, 11:52 AM #17
It does in one sense, but it also makes sure you can play Bioshock. You know, in case landy upgradeth and it's still not good enough. Because that would be pretty much the saddest thing in the world! :(
2007-06-06, 1:12 PM #18
The important thing is the bird is dead
2007-06-07, 3:06 AM #19
I do believe you just wrote about 87.5% of your own epitaph, Deadman.
omnia mea mecum porto
2007-06-07, 9:01 AM #20
Nah, that should be pretty much it.
2007-06-07, 9:35 AM #21
The Asus laptop appears to be a lush machine and it has the Intel DualCore CPU with is what powers my Dell Inspiron 6400 and its better than the AMD (thats my opinion). But if you are going to upgrade your older system, are you sure that you can get the hardware that you need is at a good price, but I dabbled with that concept and found it cheaper to have a new machine.

But yeah it was no easy choice to make (and besides Dad was paying for the thing). Hope you make the right choice :).
2007-06-07, 1:33 PM #22
Originally posted by Roach:
I do believe you just wrote about 87.5% of your own epitaph, Deadman.

Where do you think I got it from?

↑ Up to the top!