Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Odd Game Issue...
Odd Game Issue...
2007-06-06, 6:25 PM #1
Right, so i've tried running the original Aliens vs Predator twice, once on my old XP machine and now on my Vista machine. Both times, sound from the menu or a cutscene will repeat infinitely. Some times it's loud and annoying and sometimes it's quiet enought not be a distraction, usually the former though... I'm thinking this is a sound card issue, it ran fine on my REALLY old machine with a 16MB TNT2 and some ancient Soundblaster variant.

I'm wondering, is there any way to stop this?
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-06-06, 6:39 PM #2
Did you update your sound card's drivers?
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2007-06-06, 7:43 PM #3
Yeah... On both of them. My X-Fi still isn't working at the top of it's game...THANKS ALOT CREATIVE
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-06-06, 8:22 PM #4
Did you also try updating the game to the latest patch?

(Sorry if these seems like brain-dead questions but you did not say they you did these steps so I'm just going through them to make sure you actually did them.)
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2007-06-06, 8:23 PM #5
might be a compatibility issue with XP and/or Vista perhaps? That's an older game right?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-06-06, 8:36 PM #6
Yeah, on both counts. It runs fine except for that damn looping sound.
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-06-08, 6:44 PM #7
Update: It appears the compatability mode fixed it... This never worked in Pre-SP1 XP... Hrm...
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-06-08, 8:46 PM #8
There are some hacked X-Fi drivers floating around that love Vista. Just no DTS/ DD5.1 decoding from the optical in, which makes me sad :(
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-06-09, 5:49 PM #9
I've been having the same problem. However compatibility mode isn't solving the problem for me..

2007-06-10, 8:54 AM #10
Well, I have Vista so I presume they did something to the compatibility mode since XP.
<Rob> This is internet.
2007-06-10, 10:02 AM #11
The compatibility mode in XP does nothing as far as I've been able to determine.

The only way I've been able to get games like AVP1 and Mechwarrior 2 working is to run them on Windows 98 in a VM.
2007-06-10, 10:06 AM #12
Rats..

Well I figured if I turn off all cut scenes and hit escape at the right time during those intro sequences, I can eliminate that annoying looping sound

:downswords:

↑ Up to the top!