Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Overture
2007-06-06, 11:19 PM #1
This game is absolutely amazing. Some of you may remember the tech demo that was posted here a while back in one of the free game threads.

It's a fantastic survival/horror FPS. The writing is excellent. You don't know much at first, but the plot is slowly filled in with clues while you try to survive.

Very atmospheric and scary, it's right up there with System Shock 2 and Thief. Doom III doesn't hold a candle to this game. The suspense is well done, too. You aren't a tank, you're just a guy, which means it's usually better to avoid combat. You start the game with no weapons. So far, the best thing I have is a pickaxe and dynamite.

It uses the physics engine for just about all interaction. For example, to open a door, you walk up to it, and a little hand icon appears on the screen. You click and drag with the mouse in the direction you want to move the door. Same for all other objects. Pretty sweet.

$20 gets you the first episode in what is sure to be an awesome trilogy. It's available for Windows, Linux and soon OS X. It can be bought in stores (Best Buy, Target), at Amazon or downloaded.

Anyone looking for a new game should check this out. Especially if you're waiting for BioShock.

Should you get the game, I suggest reading this tweaks thread, especially the one on simplified swings for combat. The default method of swinging weapons is kind of ineffective, that tweak helps a lot.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-06-07, 1:09 AM #2
Holy crap, thanks for the heads up on this game, it's incredible!
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2007-06-07, 12:15 PM #3
So cheap.... must buy.... no money... AAARHGGGGG!

I'm going to get it after I pay my bills.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-07, 12:38 PM #4
Originally posted by RotM_igotissues:
Holy crap, thanks for the heads up on this game, it's incredible!

Ditto, thanks. Keep up the awesome threads.
2007-06-07, 1:21 PM #5
This looks neat, i'm downloading the demo now.

Not to dis the game at all but this just made me laugh
Quote:
He's found an inexplicable metal hatch,[...]. Inside, is something yet more unfathomable.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-06-07, 1:49 PM #6
So I just played the demo, and it's safe to say that you need to get this game. I'm going to drop the 20 bucks, and if you know how big that is for me, "Mr. cheap and download," you need to know how important that is. I usually just end up cheating/using walkthroughs at games like these, but it doesn't seem like I'd have to. It's VERY immersing, and something I've wanted in survivor horror for a long time. I hated RE, SH, etc.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-07, 1:56 PM #7
If you haven't played Thief or System Shock 2, you should play those as well. They're better than this by far, but they are more FPS and less survival.
2007-06-07, 2:12 PM #8
I've played thief, but it always feels so directed. And the AI sucks. Yes, you have the ability to do anything, but you don't. You just kill these guys, and get this item. I also really like the physics of this game, and I don't think either of those has that.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-07, 2:16 PM #9
Dude they're from like 1999 of course they don't have those physics.

And the Thief AI does not suck. :colbert:
2007-06-08, 12:59 AM #10
W00t, a Linux adventure. I will try it out as soon as I am home.

And Thief should always be played on Hard, where you aren't allowed to kill anybody. Much more exciting this way. And you have to steel more.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-06-08, 8:22 AM #11
just played through the demo,
Let me ask, is it possible to kill the dog or is that where the demo is supposed to end?
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-06-08, 11:50 AM #12
Dog? That must be a newer demo, I don't remember any dogs in the tech demo.

In the full game you can kill the dogs. It's rather easy with the simple swings tweak.

The only problem with this game is that the combat is kind of dull. There should be more stuff in the environment you can use to kill things. There were a few like that in the tech demo, and I haven't gotten that far in the game yet, but still.
2007-06-08, 12:29 PM #13
Downloading now. Also I just realized that Opera has a built-in bittorrent client, that's cool.
2007-06-08, 5:05 PM #14
I can't figure out how to open the hatch in teh beginning. I already smashed the rock... but the damn wheel doesn't turn.

[edit] Nevermind, weird opening mouse system :P [/edit]
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2007-06-08, 9:48 PM #15
Originally posted by Emon:
Dog? That must be a newer demo, I don't remember any dogs in the tech demo.

In the full game you can kill the dogs. It's rather easy with the simple swings tweak.

The dog was in the cave/mine looking place after you put the bar into the thing to open metal thing in the floor. :D
The dog came at me and I tried to swing my hammer but as soon as he got close I went down and everything went black.
I listened to myself get chewed on for a moment then came and ad for the full game.

Which was kinda dissapointing cause I really wanted to see how combat worked.

↑ Up to the top!