Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Forgotten Realms Books
Forgotten Realms Books
2007-06-14, 8:51 AM #1
Here's the deal: I'm going on holiday next month, and I need a book to keep me occupied for the week. I've been meaning to look into these for a while, and my recent adventures with Icewind Dale reminded me to make more of an effort. So to those of you who have read anything from these series, what would you recommend? Any good places to start? From what I can tell, some of the series are connected, and I don't want to jump in halfway through a story.

I found an online directory, but a fair few of them seem promising. So I turn to you guys :D
2007-06-14, 9:16 AM #2
I read most of the Elminster series. They are good.
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-06-14, 9:49 AM #3
Drizz't, lol
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-14, 9:58 AM #4
One of the better Forgotten Realm books I've read was Red Magic. Its about the Red Wizards of Thay, their fight for power, but better yet, the story of a harper druid finding himself forced to lead an undead army against a greater evil. Its part of the Harpers series, but its a good stand alone story.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-06-14, 10:10 AM #5
Other great books :

Daughter of the Drow Trilogy

Other series :

Dragonlance : Doom Brigade
Warcraft : Rise of the Horde
2007-06-14, 10:38 AM #6
The Cleric Quintet is a great series by R.A. Salvatore. I highly suggest giving it a go.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-06-14, 10:48 AM #7
Originally posted by Jep:

Aye, that was pretty good.

Spellfire and Crown of Fire (books 1&2 of the same story). If you ask me, anything with Manshoon in it is good. He's the Man.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-06-14, 10:50 AM #8
Or you could read something not Forgotten Realms.
2007-06-14, 10:57 AM #9
I could, but like I said I haven't gotten into them yet, and I want to. So hush.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Keep 'em coming if you got 'em :D
2007-06-14, 11:04 AM #10
All the FR books by Salvatore are a must, the reading order is:

Dark Elf Trilogy (Homeland, Exile, Sojourn)
Icewind Dale Trilogy (The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, The Halfling's Gem)
The Legacy of the Drow (Legacy, Starless Night, Siege of Darkness)
The Cleric Quintet (Canticle, In Sylvan Shadows, Night Masks, The Fallen Fortress, The Chaos Curse)
The Legacy of the Drow (Passage to Dawn)
Paths of Darkness (The Silent Blade, Spine of the World, Servant of the Shard, Sea of Swords)
The Hunter's Blades Trilogy (The Thousand Orcs, The Lone Drow, The Two Swords)
The Sellswords Trilogy (Promise of the Witch-King, Road of the Patriarch)

I haven't actually read any other FR novels yet.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-06-14, 11:12 AM #11
Thanks, that list is incredibly helpful. I guess I'll be starting with Homeland.
2007-06-14, 12:16 PM #12
I just read the Horse Whisperer.. It was actually pretty good (No homo)
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-06-14, 12:22 PM #13
BIOSHOCK The Wheel of Time series
2007-06-14, 12:26 PM #14
If you're interested in vampires and fantasy, the Ravenloft series are good. Vampire of the Mists is the best. Otherwise, again, I stress the Warcraft books, they are written with a lot of skill.

Otherwise, the first book of the Star Craft Dark Templar trilogy came out recently.

(Christie Golden rules.)
2007-06-14, 4:14 PM #15
To Kill a Mockingbird.
Back again

↑ Up to the top!