Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Safari on Windows
Safari on Windows
2007-06-14, 8:21 PM #1
http://www.apple.com/safari/

It's not bad, it looks just like it does on the Mac, even the fonts and anti-aliasing looks the same. Might be useful for those in web design/programming.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-06-14, 8:23 PM #2
Is it compatible with Aero?

", even the"

what's supposed to be next?
Back again
2007-06-14, 8:25 PM #3
Yes it is. And its alright I guess, but its still beta software so its not fully functional.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-06-14, 8:31 PM #4
I'll wait 'till they are finished with beta.
Back again
2007-06-14, 8:40 PM #5
NoESC, did you write that post on Safari? If so, I can already see one reason not to use it :p
2007-06-14, 8:49 PM #6
Indeed, it didn't look like that in safari.

It's still in beta though, like everyone has already said.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-06-14, 9:12 PM #7
It's a pretty big memory hog, even worse on Windows than in OSX. Even us OSX don't use Safari.

It's bollocks, don't use it, firefox is superior.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-14, 9:58 PM #8
Safari uses an average of 200MB when running on my Windows machine hahaha.

And yes, I use Camino in OSX (Camino > Firefox). Shiira is pretty cool too
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2007-06-14, 10:02 PM #9
Originally posted by fishstickz:
It's a pretty big memory hog, even worse on Windows than in OSX. Even us OSX don't use Safari.

Me prefers Camino to FF. Not sure why. :neckbeard:
2007-06-15, 12:04 AM #10
I can finally test websites on Webkit, don't care if the browser is any good. The rendering engine beats the pants off Firefox though.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-06-15, 5:56 AM #11

That's interesting. When I used it Windows was reporting it using about half of what Firefox was sucking down.

Regardless, I'm interested in seeing how Safari ends up being, but for now, I'm sticking with Firefox. It's the more useful browser, and Safari is missing out on a lot of little things I like.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-06-15, 7:29 AM #12
..Isn't page load time more based on your internet connection speed?
2007-06-15, 7:40 AM #13

Indeed, I only used Safari once - to set up my RSS feed screensaver. I've been tempted to try Camino, but Firefox is :colbert:.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-06-15, 7:43 AM #14
Safari is an absolute waste of time. However, this will be cool for site testing. Now we just need to get linux browsers and legacy IE/firefox working in XP/Vista.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-15, 7:50 AM #15
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Safari is an absolute waste of time. However, this will be cool for site testing. Now we just need to get linux browsers and legacy IE/firefox working in XP/Vista.

vmware, qemu, etc?
2007-06-15, 8:47 AM #16
vmware is a LOT of work for crosstesting linux. Not to mention, I don't know of any VMware that'll let me run IE5, IE6, IE7, AOLIE, Firefox 1.5, Firefox 2.0 all without a reboot.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-15, 8:57 AM #17
...wat

A. Only a very small percentage of people still use IE5. And it renders much like IE6.
B. AOLIE? wtf?
C. Firefox 1.5 can be installed in windows just fine, I don't see the need for emulation...
D. Linux browsers can be installed in cygwin. Or just access sorrowind via SSH and use them there :p
2007-06-15, 9:01 AM #18
Don't know about IEs, but you can get portable versions of Firefox (meant to run from USB flash drives). That would make it easy to test multiple versions, only downside is you can't run them simultaneously.
2007-06-15, 9:30 AM #19
AOL IE is IE5 with some Java brute fixes.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-15, 9:41 AM #20
People who use IE 5 and AOLIE should be punished by not haveing websites work for them.
2007-06-15, 10:03 AM #21
This is really handy on Linux for web developers. It easily installs IE 5, 5.5, 6, and you can install the IE7 rendering engine inside IE6 with a hack.

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-06-15, 10:58 AM #22
IE5/Mac = Officially Discontinued, no obligation to support or test
IE5.5/Win = Officially Discontinud
IE5.0/Win = Interestingly is not discontinued (because Windows 2000 is still supported by Microsoft) but nobody cares anyway.
IE6.0/Win = Still needs to be supported, but is very easy to test in since Microsoft not only supplies the Virtual PC software but also the disk image of an XP install dedicated to testing IE6, for free.

Also, there are standalone builds of all IE browsers on evolt.org which work just fine except when you need to use User-Agent sniffing (never) or Conditional Comments (sometimes but can be worked around easily enough).

As for Linux browsers the only ones we need to worry about are Links/Lynx, Konquerer and Firefox. If you have developed your site properly using good HTML and CSS you don't need to worry about Lynx. Konquerer uses WebKit which is the same rendering engine as Safari which conveniently we can now test in windows. Firefox is obviously not an issue.

Mac Browsers are all either based on WebKit or modified versions of Firefox so no problems there.

CoolMatty, IE5 and IE6 render very differently, IE6 and IE7 render the same as IE5 when in quirks mode. The main difference between IE5 and IE6 is the box model. But if you design your CSS intelligently this is very rarely an issue.

The reason why the text looks blurry in Safari on windows is because Apple's font rendering is designed to remain true to the font which unfortunately causes some blurring when aligned to the pixel grid. Microsoft's method is to smooth the font to the pixel grid for more readable screen display. Both approaches have merits and to be honest i'd prefer to have the choice which to use in the operating system settings and also on an application-by-application basis.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-06-15, 11:16 AM #23
detty gets it
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-06-15, 2:38 PM #24
Originally posted by Detty:
The reason why the text looks blurry in Safari on windows is because Apple's font rendering is designed to remain true to the font which unfortunately causes some blurring when aligned to the pixel grid. Microsoft's method is to smooth the font to the pixel grid for more readable screen display. Both approaches have merits and to be honest i'd prefer to have the choice which to use in the operating system settings and also on an application-by-application basis.

Agreed. That's one of my few complaints about Safari. Only it doesn't so much look blurry to me so much as everything is boldfaced.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-06-15, 2:49 PM #25
Well, that's good for mac type people who are more into printing.

And I don't at all disagree with you Det, but I do have clients that still use those kinds of outdated browsers. Some of us don't have the luxury of good clients. You make a fantastic point with Safari and webkit, which is awesome.

Could you elaborate on "smart code" box model that are clean through ie 5 and 6?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-15, 3:13 PM #26
There is no such thing as a "good client"
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-06-15, 4:54 PM #27
Originally posted by MBeggar:
There is no such thing as a "good client"

How about a dead one (assuming an unlimited supply of lime to cut down on the smell)?
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-06-15, 4:59 PM #28
I've heard of good clients. Dragons, trolls, and good clients, all in the lovely world of bulius****ia
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-16, 6:31 AM #29
I found this to be an interesting point of view. While I'm not going to just up and stop using Firefox, I do have to admit that Safari has a few good things going for it at this point and I'm looking forward to seeing what direction they'll be going in with this.
2007-06-16, 10:41 AM #30
Opera is probably the best browser. I still can't bring myself to use it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-16, 10:44 AM #31
Opera's 'copy text to notepad' function is genius when you're doing research. Absolute godsend.
2007-06-16, 11:31 AM #32
It's bad enough that it doesn't look native, but the feel is off, too. All the hotkeys are different, for example. Pressing WIN-M minimizes all your windows. Except for Safari.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!