Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ooooo.. Glossy :)
Ooooo.. Glossy :)
2007-06-15, 2:09 AM #1
Followup!

So I got my new laptop LCD screen from eBay yesterday. It's one of the glossy, half reflective screens rather than the flat dull screen I had before. That wasn't in the description:D

It took a little bit of modifying to get the new model screen to fit into the bevel of my over 2 year old Inspiron 6000. I had to cut off the metal tabs on the top of the screen because they were in the way of the latches for the lid and the inverter I had didn't fit on the screen, so it's just laying in there unsecured (but it's not in any awkward position, just not screwed into place)... only about an hours worth of work in all.

I'm fairly happy with it. I half expected there to be a broken screen when I opened the package it came in, but I was pleasantly suprised. :)

So post your recent eBay purchases.... I guess....
2007-06-15, 2:35 AM #2
A bunch of LP's and 12"s (not really a fan of 7"s), some books and (my latest) an original big-box copy of Deus Ex (lost mine a few years back, so I decided to get another boxed one now).
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-06-15, 3:29 AM #3
I won an auction for The Bible Code documentary off eBay. In the morning I went to the bank to send my payment, and when I got home to let him know it was on its way I discovered the sellers account had been frozen due to fraud investigation. I checked his feedback and apparently a lot of people were paying and not getting their items. Oh snap. $20 gone, next time I'll know better.
But then a few days later they arrived in the mail. God works in mysterious ways.
2007-06-15, 3:39 AM #4
Silly Jin should check feedback before winning auctions.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-06-15, 3:48 AM #5
The only thing I've ever bought off eBay was a MGS cigarette lighter (it had the Fox-Hound logo on the front). Then I quit smoking just over a month ago so now it's just sitting around, looking pretty.
2007-06-15, 7:41 AM #6
Originally posted by Stormtrooper:
Followup!

So I got my new laptop LCD screen from eBay yesterday. It's one of the glossy, half reflective screens rather than the flat dull screen I had before. That wasn't in the description:D

It took a little bit of modifying to get the new model screen to fit into the bevel of my over 2 year old Inspiron 6000. I had to cut off the metal tabs on the top of the screen because they were in the way of the latches for the lid and the inverter I had didn't fit on the screen, so it's just laying in there unsecured (but it's not in any awkward position, just not screwed into place)... only about an hours worth of work in all.

I'm fairly happy with it. I half expected there to be a broken screen when I opened the package it came in, but I was pleasantly suprised. :)

So post your recent eBay purchases.... I guess....

Did it end up fixing the problem you were having?
2007-06-15, 8:24 AM #7
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110133763568

630lb/hr 630cc/hr injectors for my car. Cost a bit, but they're good for 500-600hp with the right other mods so they should suit my needs well.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-06-15, 11:39 AM #8
Originally posted by Stormtrooper:
It's one of the glossy, half reflective screens rather than the flat dull screen I had before. That wasn't in the description:D

Ew. Say hello to high glare and less accurate colors.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-06-15, 2:50 PM #9
Originally posted by Aglar:
Did it end up fixing the problem you were having?

Completly
2007-06-15, 3:00 PM #10
Good to hear.
2007-06-15, 11:04 PM #11
Originally posted by Emon:
Ew. Say hello to high glare and less accurate colors.

Not true of the screen on my Inspiron E1505. There is only minimal glare and colors look incredible.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2007-06-15, 11:17 PM #12
Minimal glare that would be far less on a matte screen. Of course the colors look incredible, it's probably a Samsung panel, and panel quality matters more than anything else.

Glossy screens often have richer colors which are less accurate.
2007-06-15, 11:17 PM #13
Flossy, flossy.

G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S.
2007-06-15, 11:36 PM #14
accurate colours only matter to people who work with imaging/graphic design. i didnt know this about laptop screens but its useful information to have. thanks emon.

i bought this a couple days ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190120266643&rd=1&rd=1

cant wait to play with it. :D
My girlfriend paid a lot of money for that tv; I want to watch ALL OF IT. - JM
2007-06-16, 6:16 AM #15
Quote:
the inverter I had didn't fit on the screen, so it's just laying in there unsecured (but it's not in any awkward position, just not screwed into place)

I would recommend securing your inverter with double-sided tape. If you're not incredibly mobile it won't matter much, but for people who are constantly on the move, I've found that an unsecured inverter will typically come unplugged after some time.

Glad to see your problem has been resolved.
2007-06-16, 6:19 AM #16
Originally posted by Emon:
Minimal glare that would be far less on a matte screen. Of course the colors look incredible, it's probably a Samsung panel, and panel quality matters more than anything else.

Glossy screens often have richer colors which are less accurate.

You know, most people don't give a damn about accuracy. If richer colors = better looking picture, then who cares?
2007-06-16, 2:51 PM #17
Originally posted by MentatMM:
I would recommend securing your inverter with double-sided tape. If you're not incredibly mobile it won't matter much, but for people who are constantly on the move, I've found that an unsecured inverter will typically come unplugged after some time.

Glad to see your problem has been resolved.

My laptop never moves off my desk, just moves around on top of it depending where the open space is and how many bottles are sitting around. :\
2007-06-16, 3:34 PM #18
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
You know, most people don't give a damn about accuracy. If richer colors = better looking picture, then who cares?

Hey. Shut up. :colbert:

↑ Up to the top!