Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ground loop, how I hate you!
Ground loop, how I hate you!
2007-06-15, 8:25 PM #1
So, searching my dear friend the Google, I found out why my TV speakers hum when I switch it over to the S-Video to view/hear my computer through it, so I can watch movies my dad gets from MovieLink and lets me have an authorization for. He's old, has some cash to burn, and can't really do anything but watch movies or tv. (Some might remember me requesting help in finding a 20ft or so S-Video/RCA cable and I was complaining about quality or somesuchamabob)

Well, come to find out, it's from your buddy and mine, TEH CABAL COMPANEY! :gonk: Apparently they ground the cable at their end or some such, and it's not the same strength of ground by the time it reaches my TV, so when I introduce the powered goodness that comes from my computer: Turdur! Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

So, since I don't feel like unplugging the cable from my TV every time I want to watch computer goodness from my couch, I've been directed to these little guys. I'm a little weary about those things, because I remember at one point cable companies used to give out something similar looking they called a "filter", but now they don't. When I asked our one cable guy about it, he said it's because they didn't need them anymore. Then I read that stuff like Video on Demand wouldn't work with those things hooked up or something, which would suck harder than a hoover with a V8. (I think I'm understanding everything I've read from Mr Google and Friends)

So anyway, has anyone else had a problem like this? How'd you fix it? (It can happen with home theatre systems as well)

Hey look, I'm British, I spelled theater as theatre :neckbeard:
-Hell Raiser
2007-06-15, 8:38 PM #2
Well that "filter" isolates the two grounds with a transformer. As long as it covers the spectrum used by VoD services it should be okay.

Read this:
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/connecting-your-system/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz/
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-06-15, 8:41 PM #3
*shrug* it's only 10 bucks. Buy it and see if it works... ?
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-06-15, 9:16 PM #4
Ah, that read enlightened me quite a bit Emon! :neckbeard: Comcast in Denver used to have those "filters", but as I recall around the time I had a tech come out, VoD was out, and they didn't use them anymore. They were probably the cheap filters and filtered out more than they wanted.

And on a side note: $60 bucks for one that won't screw my modem and digicable!?! :gonk: I guess I might as well plop the $10 out for the one I found and go from there. I just wasn't quite sure about it until that fantastical and intellectually stimulating read. I should probably get some sleep now. Thanks Emon! :suicide: whoops, wrong one. :neckbeard: There we go. :tinfoil:
-Hell Raiser
2007-06-16, 5:27 AM #5
I was going to suggest trying a 50-cent ground lift on the TV.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-06-17, 12:07 PM #6
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I was going to suggest trying a 50-cent ground lift on the TV.

+1
2007-06-17, 12:43 PM #7
Originally posted by Hell Raiser:

Part Sex Press?
幻術
2007-06-17, 12:47 PM #8
lol! Parts Express :P
-Hell Raiser

↑ Up to the top!