Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Post you'r specs. And more!
Post you'r specs. And more!
2007-06-21, 12:28 AM #41
Primary Desktop:

-22 Inch NEC 20WMGX2 lcd
-1.86 Ghz Conroe 6300 iirc
-2 GB of ram, maybe upgrade it to 6 GB of ram later this summer
-6x 250 GB harddrives for 1.5 terabyte of storage
-Plain ol' lite-on dvd burner
-Motherboard video card aka, Intel GMA3000

Old/Gaming machine:

-22 Inch NEC 20WMGX2 lcd
-2.8 ghz Pentium 4c
-2 GB of ram
-Dead 36 Gb raptor in the case to distract the evil harddrive destroying voodoo of the motherboard
-250 Gb USB harddrive, which is my primary harddrive, its a tad slow, but once stuff gets loaded into memory its fast enough for me.
-Radeon 9800 pro
-Haupapage PVR250

Laptop/Mobile ssh/X11/vnc/rdestop machine:

-IBM thinkpad T42
-14 inch laptop display
-1.7 ghz Pentium M
-2 GB of ram
-60 GB harddrive
-Radeon 7500

Old router/server:

-An ancient Dell
-366 mhz Pentium II
-256 Mb of ram
-20 GB harddrive
-Neomagic something has 4 mb of video memory

New upcoming router/server:

-Via Mini-ITX system
-1.3 to 1.5 ghz Via C7 chip
-512 Mb to 1Gb of ram
-512 mb to 1Gb compact flash
-4 Gb to 8 GB solid state drive
-4x 100mbit ethernet with an pci slot avaiable for additional 4x 100mbit

And the list goes on and on and on, I got dozens of old machines laying around at my parents house that i outta to retrieve some day and resurrect....

Detailed enough eh?

[edit!] oh almost forgot about the games...
All of the computer listed above with exception of the old gaming machine all runs some varant of BSD or Loonix, and the old gaming machine is the only machine with half way decent video card in it even though the motherboard is half dead anyway...

Anyway enough rambling here's the game list:

Galactic Civization
Galactic Civization II + Expansion
Civization III
Civization IV
Independence War: Edge of Chaos
Diablo II + Lord of Destruction
Homeworld
Homeworld 2
Catalysm
Icewind Dale + Heart of Winter + Expansion
Icewind Dale II
Baldurs Gate + Expansion (forgot its name sword of the coast i think)
Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn + Throne of Bhaal
Planetscape Tournment
Neverwinters Night + Shadow of Undertide + Hordes of the underdarks
Morrowind + Tribunal + Bloodmoon
Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire
Serious Sam
Black and White
Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords

And I think about a dozen more, but I've forgotten and I'm not going to waste 20-30 minute of my lifetime trying to coax the damn machine to bootup anyway. Due to the motherboard being semi dead, and due to the fact that I've hacked the hell out of windows XP to get it to boot off an USB harddrive leads it to be a little bit flanky on startup, sometime takes half a dozen of restarts and cussing before it will finally start to load up windows xp, then another 10 minute to wait as it slooowly load up.
Echoman: If I can create energy from stupidity, the world's power supply will never end...
2007-06-21, 8:19 AM #42
Just buy a cheap 7900GS.
[/url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127277[/url]

Install windows on another HDD and dual boot for games.

Save you the trouble.
2007-06-21, 12:44 PM #43
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Just buy a cheap 7900GS.
[/url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127277[/url]

Install windows on another HDD and dual boot for games.

Save you the trouble.

The issue is basically other than a slave slot on the IDE cable connected to the cdrom, I've effectivly maxed out this motherboard already, so the only real way of connecting an additional harddrive would be to somehow figure out how to route the sole IDE cable through the case to the harddrive on the bottom of the case and up to the burner on top of the case... Its an very cramped/tiny case.

The case

And beside the point I hate dual booting, because it can take 10 or more minute sometime to startup this computer anyway so I tend to leave it on all the time anyway. Main reason why it takes so long is, it takes time to check all of the harddrive, then initalize the RAID array (5 seperate raid), then once the RAID array is setup, It got to check it, then setup the LVM2 physical, and logical partition, then after that, it finally loads up the filesystem, and if one of my data filesystem needs a log replay/check god help you, it takes a while to check about 750-1 terabyte of usable space.

So in all honesty, I've actually thought about that idea of dual booting and installing an new video card into the new computer, but it was in the end cheaper and faster to just stuff windows XP into a USB harddrive and put up with occasional long bootup process.
Echoman: If I can create energy from stupidity, the world's power supply will never end...

↑ Up to the top!