Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I just caught a tadpole...
I just caught a tadpole...
2007-06-20, 12:39 PM #1
Now what?

I have it in a milk jug that I cut the top off of to make it into a sort of bowl.
I think there may be three or four small tadpoles in with one slightly large one, along with some insect looking things that I'm afraid will give me rapies if I touch.

Anyway, I don't plan on spending any money on this little guy. The jug is sitting by a window so that it gets a lot of sunlight. After I brought him in I realized that he didn't have any pond scum or pond dirt in his jug so I threw some backyard dirt/leaves in the jug. Not very much, just about a handfull.

Does anyone have any idea what I feed the little fellow, how often I should feed him, temperatures, etc? The milk jug is probably a bad place to keep him, too. If anyone has suggestions on a household object (that doesn't cost money) for to keep him in that would be swell.

He also needs a name.
2007-06-20, 12:43 PM #2
If he doesn't have legs, you can call him "spermy".

Google gave me this: http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/tadpoles/
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-06-20, 1:03 PM #3
Originally posted by Axis:
insect looking things that I'm afraid will give me rapies if I touch.

....:awesome:
2007-06-20, 1:08 PM #4
Call it Dave!

EAT IT!
nope.
2007-06-20, 1:25 PM #5
When I was in kindergarten I caught a tadpole and kept him as a pet in a small jar. I fed him breadcrumbs. He survived about a day and a half, and I woke up one morning to find him floating belly-up. I was so sad. :(
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-20, 1:28 PM #6
Kill it.

With a Hammer. Make a game of it. Whackapole.. ...wait
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-06-20, 1:28 PM #7
Originally posted by Freelancer:
When I was in kindergarten I caught a tadpole and kept him as a pet in a small jar. I fed him breadcrumbs. He survived about a day and a half, and I woke up one morning to find him floating belly-up. I was so sad. :(

amphibian baby killer!
My blawgh.
2007-06-20, 1:58 PM #8
I second the motion to call him Dave.
2007-06-20, 2:00 PM #9
Eat it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-20, 2:25 PM #10
Originally posted by Martyn:
I second the motion to call him Dave.

Thirded, kind sir.
2007-06-20, 2:38 PM #11
His name shall be Dave.
2007-06-20, 2:43 PM #12
My goldfish are all named Dave.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-06-20, 2:44 PM #13
I'd have called him Paul... (tad) Paul. :(
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-06-20, 2:46 PM #14
That is brilliant. If it turns out there are more than one in the jug, I'll name one Paul.
2007-06-20, 2:54 PM #15
The jug is sitting by a window so that it gets a lot of sunlight.

Tadpoles need shade! :argh:

Our teacher in year 2 told us to keep the tadpoles we caught at the local pond somewhere where they will get a little sunlight but mostly shade. We used to feed them chopped up lettuce.

Also whatever you do dont use tap water to fill up the jug, chlorine is deadly to the little guys.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-06-20, 2:59 PM #16
I'll be sure to move the jug out of the sun.
2007-06-20, 3:15 PM #17
If your tap water just has chlorine, you can let the water sit out for 24 hours or so before adding it to let the chlorine dissipate into the air. If you have chloramines instead, you'll have to treat it with special chemicals (costs money) or use other water. Also avoid distilled water (probably fine for just adding a little bit, but don't let the solution become hypotonic). If you use bottled water, first examine what exactly is in it. Your best bet may be water from the pond where you caught the tadpole.
2007-06-20, 3:26 PM #18
He's in pond water right now. Would garden hose water have chlorine in it?
2007-06-20, 3:31 PM #19
Yes.
2007-06-20, 3:33 PM #20
Would garden hose water have chlorine in it?

The water that comes through the hose is the same that comes through the sink, plus anything it might pick up from the inside of the hose (dirt and such).
2007-06-20, 4:38 PM #21
Originally posted by saberopus:
....:awesome:

PACMAN
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-06-20, 4:40 PM #22
Hey, I started the "I caught a ..." thread trend.

Maybe I'll go start a new one. Recently I've caught a small turtle, a rabbit, and a baby goose.
Stuff
2007-06-20, 4:41 PM #23
...A gooselet?
nope.
2007-06-20, 4:57 PM #24
Quote:
In England, Smokey the Bear is not the forest fire prevention representative. They have Smackie the Frog. It's just like a bear, but it's a frog. I think that's a better system. I think we should adopt it, because bears can be mean; when you see a bear, you say, "Oh no, here comes a bear! Run!" When you see a frog, you don't say, "Oh no, here comes a frog! Run!" You say it more delighted: "Look, here comes a frog. I hope it comes next to me, so I can pet it, and put it inside of this mayonnaise jar with a stick and a leaf, to recreate what he's used to. And I will poke holes in the top cause he's damn sure used to oxygen."
:neckbeard:
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-06-20, 5:22 PM #25
Originally posted by MBeggar:
:neckbeard:

I love that guy.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-06-20, 9:37 PM #26
Originally posted by Baconfish:
...A gooselet?

Gosling.
2007-06-20, 9:39 PM #27
call it dave

then eat it.

↑ Up to the top!