Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Can't wait for BioShock?
Can't wait for BioShock?
2007-06-21, 4:17 PM #1
Edit: System Shock 2 is abandonware! Get it from The Underdogs.

Replay System Shock 2 with new mods and fan missions! There's a lot of great user made content for this game. There's a two part campaign composed of the Ponterbee Station and UNN Nightwalker levels that probably matches the length of the original game, and comes pretty close in quality. I just got done playing through both, they're :awesome:. Strangebedfellows is a good archive of SS2 info and mods, I suggest you guys check it out.

So because I'm bored and want to share the :awesome: of this game, here's a little guide on getting started with the latest user-made updates and content:

1. From a fresh install, use SS2 Kolya Tool to patch your installation and make it mod ready. This includes a patch to make the game run on XP and Vista.

2. Install Zombe's SS2 Mod Manager. This is the easiest and best way to manage mod. It uses .ss2mod files, which are just ZIP files with some extra info about the mod. You can also use any mod in a plain archive like ZIP or 7Z.

3. Download this modified install CFG file and put it in your game folder. Trust me, it'll make things easier, especially if you move your install folder later on.

4. Take a look at this if you want to run the game above 1024x768. It just tells you how to edit the config files by hand to change the resolution.

5. Get some mods! The most important are below. Don't worry about any conflicts SS2MM says when using the following mods together, it's fine. Others may cause problems though.
  • SS2 Rebirth mod. A lot like JKE, it replaces almost every character model in the game.
  • SHTUP, a texture upgrade pack. It makes signs and in-game text much more readable.
  • ADaoB - Anomalies, Discrepancies and outright Bugs mod. This is kind of like an unofficial patch. It fixes a lot of important stuff. Some gameplay balance changes but nothing that diverts from the original experience.
  • HiTorque's complete med/sci changes. This makes a lot of nice additions to the med/sci deck, like some nifty transparent glass doors, body lockers in the morgue, etc. It needs ADaoB to work.
  • Various other small mods that may interest you. There are a few weapon replacement mods, unfortunately the only good one is the Psi Amp replacement.
  • [Edit]No, not quite! I found this weapon replacement mod that's actually pretty decent.
6. If you've finished the original game, play some fan missions! The best are:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-06-21, 4:31 PM #2
BIOSHOCK.
2007-06-21, 5:52 PM #3
BIOSHOCK.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-21, 6:07 PM #4
HALF-LIFE 2: EPISODE 2.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2007-06-21, 6:08 PM #5
PORTAL.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2007-06-21, 6:13 PM #6
FALLOUT 3.
幻術
2007-06-21, 6:28 PM #7
SF_GOLDG_01's MMORPG.
Think while it's still legal.
2007-06-21, 6:34 PM #8
You are all useless. Go fall in a hole and die.
2007-06-21, 6:39 PM #9
Here, here.
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-06-21, 6:43 PM #10
Sounds good, Emon, I'm really thinking about getting SS2 what with all the buzz and reminders recently. Thanks for the guide.
2007-06-21, 6:44 PM #11
Originally posted by Emon:

I agree.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-21, 7:30 PM #12
Free, if you haven't played SS2 yet, you should. You can get it from The Underdogs as abandonware. It's made by a lot of the same guys that worked on Deus Ex, they share a lot of common threads. Some RPG elements, huge, non-linear levels, and some fantastic plot twists. The voice acting is fantastic, too. Funny thing is that it's all voice logs or via radio, you are alone the whole game. So...very alone...
2007-06-21, 7:57 PM #13
Sweet, you should have said earlier that it is abandonware!
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2007-06-21, 8:22 PM #14
SS2 also has multiplayer Coop which is a blast.

I wonder if the fan made maps work with the coop as well?
2007-06-21, 8:52 PM #15
Home of The Underdogs looks like a great site. They have some excellent old games on there.
2007-06-21, 9:54 PM #16
PONG.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-06-21, 9:56 PM #17
Free, if you haven't played SS2 yet, you should. You can get it from The Underdogs as abandonware.

I never played SS2 but meaning too. But why is it abandonware?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-06-21, 9:59 PM #18
Uh, you all do realize that "Abandonware" means nothing and has no legal standing. (It's just as illegal to download SS2 as it is Half-Life 2).
2007-06-21, 10:53 PM #19
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Uh, you all do realize that "Abandonware" means nothing and has no legal standing. (It's just as illegal to download SS2 as it is Half-Life 2).

That's true, but "Abandonware" is one of the cases where what is technically legal diverges from what is for all intents and purposes legal. There are entire websites devoted to listing things that are technically illegal, but where the laws are effectively irrelevant.
If the companies who own the rights to these games are blatantly ambivalent to the issue, then aren't they effectively condoning it? Granted they would have the right to change their minds at any point. The admins should probably clarify their stance on this just in case.
I think it makes sense for them to take the same position on "abandonware" as that of the companies who own the games in question.
2007-06-21, 10:57 PM #20
Originally posted by Bobbert:
That's true, but "Abandonware" is one of the cases where what is technically legal diverges from what is for all intents and purposes legal. There are entire websites devoted to listing things that are technically illegal, but where the laws are effectively irrelevant.
If the companies who own the rights to these games are blatantly ambivalent to the issue, then aren't they effectively condoning it? Granted they would have the right to change their minds at any point. The admins should probably clarify their stance on this just in case.
I think it makes sense for them to take the same position on "abandonware" as that of the companies who own the games in question.

TTLG HATES the underdogs (or from what I was reading on their forum when I tried to get SS2 to work for my hyperthreaded CPU; which, if any of you have that, you have to disable ss2 from using both in the task manager). Well, not hate, but you can rest assured they don't like their game being listed.

Not like I care, underdogs is where I got it from.
2007-06-21, 11:11 PM #21
There are entire websites devoted to listing things that are technically illegal, but where the laws are effectively irrelevant.

Pretty much. Abondonware is illegal but often considered moral. Since the game is out of production, it doesn't hurt anyone to download it.
2007-06-21, 11:15 PM #22
Thanks for this Emon. I've been wanting to replay since I probably won't be able to play Bioshock... now I don't have to look for all the mods.
2007-06-22, 1:47 AM #23
These are great... but does that "unofficial patch" count as an XP fix (as well as making the movies work once again)?
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-06-22, 5:33 AM #24

Except SS2 hasn't been abandoned, and EA holds most of the rights. They still send cease and desist orders out for "fan-made" content on other games.

This is why I think abandonware is bad. It pretends that it's okay to copy old programs, when in reality half the time the websites don't even check up on the copyright status of a game.
2007-06-22, 10:20 AM #25
Anyways, I never did manage to finish the game for some reason. I got to the part you meet SHODAN and have to do some quest for her on the top deck, but then kind of got bored. Still have it installed, though. Might have to try again.
幻術
2007-06-22, 10:50 AM #26
MONKEY ISLAND 5

What?
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-06-22, 11:07 AM #27
SS2 has problems running on XP

2007-06-22, 11:24 AM #28
No ****, that's what the XP patch is for. :downs:
2007-06-22, 12:30 PM #29
The XP patch seems to require a CD.
2007-06-22, 12:39 PM #30
Bioshock.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-22, 12:43 PM #31
BIO ....wait what?
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2007-06-22, 12:56 PM #32
SHOCK
2007-06-22, 1:02 PM #33
I like this, but I don't think the fan made patch that allows xp play is compatible with the official patch that lets you play co-op :(.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2007-06-22, 1:06 PM #34
Originally posted by Gilgamesh85:
The XP patch seems to require a CD.

Install the game, run SS2 Kolya Tool with all the options and you won't need a CD.

You people should learn to read.
2007-06-22, 1:09 PM #35
Originally posted by tinny:
I like this, but I don't think the fan made patch that allows xp play is compatible with the official patch that lets you play co-op :(.

:psyduck:

Yes, it is. Seriously people, read the SS2 Tool page before posting something stupid. I linked to it for a reason.
2007-06-22, 1:15 PM #36
I'm sorry, noticed that after I reread after posting :(.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2007-06-22, 6:43 PM #37
Install the game, run SS2 Kolya Tool with all the options and you won't need a CD.

You people should learn to read.

I did run the Kolya Tool...ohhhhh, maybe I didn't when I installed it the 2nd time. I was doing a lot of tinkering. Let's see if this works...
...no dice. Ah well, maybe I'll fiddle with it later.
2007-06-23, 11:06 AM #38
JEDI KNIGHT: DARK FORCES 2
2007-06-23, 12:53 PM #39

PITFALL

:P
nope.
2007-06-23, 1:02 PM #40
System Shock 2.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!