Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Er... what?
Er... what?
2007-06-22, 12:15 AM #1
Dick Cheney thinks he's part of the legislative branch.

Is this seriously happening? Can't someone resolve this dispute by simply telling Cheney to stop being ridiculous?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-06-22, 1:18 AM #2
Oh Cheney, he's so crazy.

Just one more year... :tinfoil:
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2007-06-22, 6:17 AM #3
Saw this on AC360 last night.

He doesn't deserve any branch of Government.

Edit: I can't believe 2 people voted for "His own branch"...that makes me :D

He's president pro tempore of the United State if he actually presides. But I don't think Cheney ever did. So Executive for Cheney's case.
2007-06-22, 6:18 AM #4
well, he doesn't really do anything besides give the President advice and be President of the Senate.

which, in reading, it refers to choosing Other officers, which means the ones already stated are the VP and the PpT. By that I would be of the belief that the Vice President isn't not indeed part of the Executive Branch.

He is a Civil Officer of the United States, but no where in the Executive Branch area is he mentioned as a member besides having to have the same qualifications for office that the President has
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-06-22, 6:18 AM #5
Well I suppose he is the president of the senate. But I believe that would square him in the executive column as well.
>>untie shoes
2007-06-22, 6:27 AM #6
I hate politics.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-06-22, 6:29 AM #7
isn't it funny how people play semantics when they basically have nothing else going for them?

if he's investigated or held liable there would be such hell to pay it wouldn't be funny. I don't think there's been such a criminal, corrupt and incompetent cabinet since president grant.

also, I'm pretty sure the penguin spends even less time working than Bush does.
2007-06-22, 2:10 PM #8
Originally posted by genk:
well, he doesn't really do anything besides give the President advice and be President of the Senate.

which, in reading, it refers to choosing Other officers, which means the ones already stated are the VP and the PpT. By that I would be of the belief that the Vice President isn't not indeed part of the Executive Branch.

He is a Civil Officer of the United States, but no where in the Executive Branch area is he mentioned as a member besides having to have the same qualifications for office that the President has

The problem (aside from the fact that if Cheney were really just a member of the legislative branch as he claims, his title would be President of the Senate) is that it's not really even a constitutional issue. Cheney is subject to an executive order requiring oversight of executive offices that handle classified documents. Past VPs have complied with the order. Cheney himself complied with the order for the first few years of the administration, up to the point when the need arose for him to cover his *** and he threw out this ridiculous defense about not being part of the executive branch. It was always the intent of the order to include the VP's office, and Cheney doesn't get to arbitrarily decide it doesn't apply to him now.

Anyway, if he hasn't done anything wrong, he's got nothing to hide, right?
2007-06-22, 2:25 PM #9
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
It was always the intent of the order to include the VP's office, and Cheney doesn't get to arbitrarily decide it doesn't apply to him now.
right?

look were talking about a guy who shot another guy in the face, and not only did he not get any serious flack about it, he got the other guy to apologize for getting in his way! the way things are going as of right now, mr. Cheney gets to "arbitrarily decide" just about anything he feels like. :suicide:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-06-22, 2:34 PM #10
The VP is executive, but if he has to break a tie vote in the Senate, that would be a legislative duty. Beyond that rare happening though, not so much part of the legislative.
Pissed Off?
2007-06-22, 2:37 PM #11
[http://www.dccomics.com/mad/media/downloads/pirates_poster.jpg]
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-06-22, 2:42 PM #12
Hahaha.
2007-06-22, 8:52 PM #13
Even more crazily...

White House defends him!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2007-06-22, 9:00 PM #14
Originally posted by genk:
Even more crazily...

White House defends him!

What a twist...
2007-06-22, 9:22 PM #15
This is so downs..
2007-06-22, 9:28 PM #16
He serves at the pleasure of the president, not the pleasure of the senate.

A strict constitutionalist would say he's part of the legislature, but a strict constitutionalist seems to avoid the elastic clause when it's convenient. (Kind of when religious crusaders ignore that "Love you neighbors" bit in the Bible when it comes time to bash the gays.)
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-22, 9:29 PM #17
Also, I wish you made this public so I could see who said Judicial.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-22, 9:40 PM #18
Yeah, as soon as I voted in the poll I realized, "Damn, I really should have made this public." Whoever voted judicial though, thank you. You seriously made my day.

Something else to consider: Cheney got out of giving details on his meetings with Enron officials by claiming executive privilege. How does a member of the legislature swing that?

The more I think about this, the more I'm amazed at just how much is wrong with it. If this goes to court, there's no reason Cheney shouldn't be ripped apart.
2007-06-22, 9:51 PM #19
there's no reason cheney shouldn't be ripped apart if this goes to court or not.

seriously. he's evil. he's pure ****ing evil. he's the architect behind everything that has happened during the bush administration.
2007-06-22, 11:16 PM #20
Originally posted by Jon`C:
seriously. he's evil. he's pure ****ing evil. he's the architect behind everything that has happened during the bush administration.

Yeah, that's incredibly apparent. There's no other way.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-06-22, 11:29 PM #21
Oh come on even i know the answer.
2007-06-23, 12:59 AM #22
.......... What the ****? Good ****ing christ, what is going on in our government? That's just stupid as all ****. It's like a set-up for a John Stewart joke, or something. You've GOT to be ****ting me.

"Dur hur, I aint part of no executive branch, you crazy sonsa*****es! I be the head of the you knighted straights of amen!"
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!