Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Copyrights and software.
Copyrights and software.
2007-06-23, 8:39 AM #41
i really challange the market, though, to imagine software without copyright. It would be radically different, but i argue it would be much more competitive in some respects. For example, as much as people would hate to see microsoft swallow linux, i would equally like to hack microsoft machine code. It would certainly help people get away from this arbitrary dellusion of 'source code' religion and begin to take things for what they are. Of course, there could still be non-disclosure agreements, and people would be much more reluctant to share information. Still...
2007-06-23, 8:52 AM #42
Originally posted by Mystic0:
i really challange the market, though, to imagine software without copyright. It would be radically different, but i argue it would be much more competitive in some respects. For example, as much as people would hate to see microsoft swallow linux, i would equally like to hack microsoft machine code. It would certainly help people get away from this arbitrary dellusion of 'source code' religion and begin to take things for what they are. Of course, there could still be non-disclosure agreements, and people would be much more reluctant to share information. Still...

...you can already "hack microsoft machine code." Copyright law doesn't prohibit you from doing this. Copyright law also doesn't prohibit you from distributing a program to automatically apply such a hack, although distributing a hacked copy is a violation since it is a derived work.

You actually can buy a source code license for Windows, it's just... well... beyond the financial means of most people.
2007-06-23, 10:10 AM #43
I was commenting on Obi, not the length of patents and the public domain of expired copyrights. I agree with you 100%, really.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-06-23, 10:18 AM #44
Yeah, like I say, I don't know anything about patents or copyrights, I was just trying to say that I think the length of time that the software is protected could be shorter.

↑ Up to the top!