Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Jedi Knight is finally unavailable
Jedi Knight is finally unavailable
2007-06-27, 5:31 PM #1
It's not for sale anymore on Lucasarts. It was in December of 2006..

Heres to JK!!! YEA!!
2007-06-27, 5:34 PM #2
You can still find it in stores here.
幻術
2007-06-27, 5:36 PM #3
I still have my Strategy Guide somewhere...

I don't know why I even have it in the first place..

I'm thinking about buying another copy of JK, because my current copy is so damaged...
2007-06-27, 5:46 PM #4
Originally posted by Koobie:
You can still find it in stores here.

Same here.
2007-06-27, 6:03 PM #5
I never played the game.
Back again
2007-06-27, 6:07 PM #6
This is madness.
2007-06-27, 6:29 PM #7
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
I never played the game.

Infidel.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2007-06-27, 6:32 PM #8
My copy of JK is still near-mint, 8 years later.

I've gone through quite a few cd-r backups, though.
2007-06-27, 6:44 PM #9
Originally posted by Cloud:
This is madness.

Madness? THIS IS 2007 so its actually quite reasonable
2007-06-27, 7:08 PM #10
I still have my original CDs, and they're still playable, I think...
woot!
2007-06-27, 7:58 PM #11
How many of you still play JK?

Only game I play from the 90's is Starcraft.
Back again
2007-06-27, 8:01 PM #12
How many of you still play JK?

Now and then. I also play a ton of other 90's games, come to think of it. Half Life (w/ some mods), System Shock 2, Starcraft, Starsiege (not tribes, the mech game), Diablo (walk, don't run), etc.
2007-06-27, 8:08 PM #13
Well Half life is and always will be genuine, unlike HL2, but I can't find my HL cd.
Back again
2007-06-27, 8:13 PM #14
You could run in Diablo's expansion :O

Also, Earthsiege > Starsiege
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-06-27, 8:15 PM #15

you suck at appreciating N64, SNES and Mega Drive Games.

****, PSX and Saturn had some incredible titles too... heres hoping you die soon.
2007-06-27, 8:18 PM #16
Well Half life is and always will be genuine, unlike HL2, but I can't find my HL cd.

Do you still have the key? Register it on Steam and download it. :)
woot!
2007-06-27, 8:20 PM #17
I play Doom 2 time to time.

[quote=Glyde Bane]Earthsiege > Starsiege[/quote]

What really kills me is that no one makes FMV cutscenes anymore.
幻術
2007-06-27, 8:43 PM #18
i have like 200 back up copys lying around in my room somewhere

the orginals are tucked away somewhere safe
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2007-06-27, 8:58 PM #19

Indeed. I think the most recent game that did that is C&C3, and before that there's a massive gap.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-06-27, 9:13 PM #20
Does that make JK abandonware?
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2007-06-27, 9:21 PM #21
I gave my original JK CDs away when I got the special edition of Jedi Outcast that packaged JK and Dark Forces.
2007-06-27, 9:30 PM #22
How is Half-Life 2 NOT genuine and Half-life is?
Because it's a sequal?
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2007-06-27, 9:31 PM #23
Originally posted by Glyde Bane:
You could run in Diablo's expansion :O

Also, Earthsiege > Starsiege

Plot or play wise? Or both? I never got a chance to play it, sadly.

On a tangent, Starsiege's box... man those were the days. Thick full color manuals, an absolutely beautiful book filled with the backstory of the universe... that and Homeworld's supplements hold a prime space on my bookshelf. Now we get a dinky *** box with a black and white key card. If that.

Was HW 90's? I still play that as well.
2007-06-27, 9:42 PM #24
I'd say gameplay wise. The plot is sorta fuzzy right now, it's been a while. But dying and being examined by the enemies in a neat FMV was cool.

Yeah, I miss the old boxes. I still have an original Star Crusader box with the big manual and everything. Those were the days. The front opening ones, where you pulled off the face.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-06-27, 9:53 PM #25
Originally posted by Cloud:
This is madness.

THIS IS MASSAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIII
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2007-06-27, 10:45 PM #26
Originally posted by DEFINOTELY NOT SPE:

****, PSX and Saturn had some incredible titles too... heres hoping you die soon.

I meant PC games.

But, it's my fault for not mentioning that.
Back again
2007-06-27, 10:47 PM #27
Originally posted by Veger:
How is Half-Life 2 NOT genuine and Half-life is?
Because it's a sequal?

Pretty much.

Most sequ e ls aren't as great.

Personally I liked HL better than HL2 because it was all a new experience.

It's like eating chocolate for the first time, but then you eat the same chocolate with sprinkles.
Back again
2007-06-27, 10:49 PM #28
Originally posted by DEFINOTELY NOT SPE:

Starcraft was released on the N64... :p
2007-06-27, 10:53 PM #29
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Starcraft was released on the N64... :p

No battle.net compatibility = Fail
Back again
2007-06-27, 11:01 PM #30
I will sell my copy of jedi knight for $200.

Mysteries of the Sith for $300 because it includes the manual.
2007-06-28, 3:15 AM #31
I have the JK and MotS demo CDs, 2 sets of JK discs (original and the one that came with JO SE), and an MotS disc (original). I still play JK on a regular basis.
2007-06-28, 4:26 AM #32
Originally posted by MentatMM:
I have the JK and MotS demo CDs, 2 sets of JK discs (original and the one that came with JO SE), and an MotS disc (original). I still play JK on a regular basis.

I don't.

$500 to add to your collection!
2007-06-28, 5:52 AM #33
I still have my origional JK and MOTS cds, manuals, and JK strategy guide. The discs just are a bit damaged, so I'll charge only $600.

Also, is it illegal to download a pirated version of a game you own?

[EIDT]

Some games I still play from the 90's include JK, MOTS, Starcraft, Trespasser, and Rogue Squardron 3D. I have many more but they all suck. Console-wise I still play MGS and such...
2007-06-28, 7:53 AM #34

Yeah, I really don't understand this. People normally say the main reason is cost, but video games make so much more money these days than they did back when FMV cutscenes were popular.
2007-06-28, 8:10 AM #35
Originally posted by Aglar:
Yeah, I really don't understand this. People normally say the main reason is cost, but video games make so much more money these days than they did back when FMV cutscenes were popular.

You just answered yourself. They make more money because they save in places.

Besides, I thought it broke immersion when the characters in the FMV looked nothing like they did ingame. I'll take a well animated cutscene (Gears of War) over an FMV any day.

MOST of them had poor acting anyways. Cept Wing Commander with Mark Hammillorhoweveryouspelllukeskywalkers'sactor'sname :D
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-06-28, 8:36 AM #36
Originally posted by Jep:
You just answered yourself. They make more money because they save in places.
uh, no, they don't. They make more money because more people buy them. Game budgets have never been higher than they are right now. We're starting to break into the $100 million per game territory here.

Originally posted by Aglar:

Live action FMVs aren't used because they suck. Trying to use them is an enormous design hurdle and it essentially involves doing the same work twice (at two different levels of detail). You can't even have as many of them because game discs aren't big enough, so in order to tell a story that consists of more than "FIND LIGHTSABER IN GARAGE, BECOME JEDI" you're going to have to do a whole lot of in-game cutscenes anyway so you might as well choose the least jarring way of doing it.

This is not about money. Game companies can easily afford to hire competent actors (like Patrick Stewart). The thing is, games are by and large made by competent people who, for some bizarre reason, aren't retarded enough to think 1997-era gaming conventions are worth perpetuating.
2007-06-28, 9:09 AM #37
Originally posted by Jep:
Besides, I thought it broke immersion when the characters in the FMV looked nothing like they did ingame. I'll take a well animated cutscene (Gears of War) over an FMV any day.

I'll admit that I preferred the flow in Gears that in-game cutscenes allowed.
2007-06-28, 10:37 AM #38
Command and Conquer 3 showed that FMVs are not dead, but when used correctly, really make a game. Yes, they're corny. Yes, they break the flow. Yes, they put actors from BSG and Lost as fan service. But they're still fracking awesome.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-06-28, 10:42 AM #39
Originally posted by fishstickz:
Command and Conquer 3 showed that FMVs are not dead, but when used correctly, really make a game. Yes, they're corny. Yes, they break the flow. Yes, they put actors from BSG and Lost as fan service. But they're still fracking awesome.

That's different, though. So is Wing Commander. They're games that can use FMV to good effect because in-game cutscenes aren't really possible.

That said, page one of the book on effective game design says that, if you can't tell the story without using cutscenes, your story isn't right for your game. The story doesn't make C&C3 a better game, it's an excuse for the game to happen.
2007-06-28, 11:04 AM #40
I actually don't like games without cutscenes, regardless of how well the story is pulled off ingame.

It gives me a chance to relax, stretch out my fingers a bit, and you can cover a lot more than you ever could ingame.

↑ Up to the top!