Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Car modification question
Car modification question
2007-06-29, 12:50 PM #1
I don't really know if there's anyone here capable of answering this, but say this hypothetical situation came up:

Someone, henceforth known as "I," purchases an automobile, henceforth known as "a hearse."

"I" wanted to go with three friends on a roadtrip in said "hearse" but it only has two seats. We want to add two back seats/a bench style seat to the "hearse" so they could legally have a place to sit.

Does anyone know of how this would be possible?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-06-29, 12:56 PM #2
Pfft, everyone knows you should bolt a casket in the back and use it as a bed on the road.
nope.
2007-06-29, 12:57 PM #3
Yes, "U" can bolt seats into the floor/frame of a car with seat belts.
Pissed Off?
2007-06-29, 12:58 PM #4
You can buy seats and mounting brackets from summitracing.com.

Racing seats in a hearse = ftw.
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-06-29, 1:05 PM #5
This is a fascinating concept. "We" are greatful for your advice. Is there anywhere that sells.. used seats? Maybe? >.>

"We"'re thinking of like the old Astro bench-seat that collapses backwards, so it makes a bed-kind of thing. Any ideas?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-06-29, 1:11 PM #6
Also: How difficult/expensive is it to paint a car to look like, say, the Ghostbusters car?

Do you really need special paint, or could we just use regular paint? Spray paint?

Tell me more, tell me more! (Was it love at first sight?)
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-06-29, 1:17 PM #7
i suppose you've never heard of a junkyard before....
Current Maps | Newest Map
2007-06-29, 2:07 PM #8
Yeah. Breaker's yards are the best places, really. A lot cheaper, but things are more likely not-so-easy-to-install.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2007-06-29, 2:27 PM #9
You could just rip the bench seat out of an Astro-van. It should have the brackets in there, too. All you'd have to do is unscrew the brackets and bolt them to the floor of the Hearse.

Obviously it'd be a little more complicated than that, You would have to drill holes for the bracket bolts, but it's not something the average person couldn't do.

As for the paint, You can spray paint it, but it will look retarded.

You need to sand it down, put a layer of primer, paint and then clearcoat to make it look good. It would be easier to have someone do it for you since they already have the tools and skill to do it.

For the paint you would need A Sander, enough Primer, Paint and Clearcoat for atleast one coat of each on the car and a Paint Sprayer. And all this stuff wouldn't be cheap, It's easier to pay someone to put a cheap paintjob on it.

The paint job would cost anywhere from $200-$1000 depending on where you get it done.
2007-06-29, 7:33 PM #10
I love you Fister!
>>untie shoes
2007-06-29, 9:07 PM #11
I'd definitely recommend getting a professional to have a look at what you're planning to do. There are a lot of legalities around seatbelts, and the last thing you want in an accident is an unsecured seat ripping loose and slamming into the front passengers.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-06-29, 9:28 PM #12
Originally posted by Blood Asp:
i suppose you've never heard of a junkyard before....

Dumpsters too. :awesome:
Back again
2007-06-30, 12:14 AM #13
Originally posted by Antony:
I love you Fister!

o rly? I luv u 2

Except without the love.
2007-06-30, 12:27 AM #14
You 2 him?

Huh.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2007-06-30, 11:29 PM #15
Find seats with brackets. Drill holes in floor. Bolt in with Grade 8 bolts.

If you're really worried about how secure the seats will be, have a shop weld a bar to the frame on the underside of the car underneath your intended mounting points, then drill into that as well.
Little angel go away
Come again some other day
Devil has my ear today
I'll never hear a word you say
2007-07-01, 5:50 AM #16
Originally posted by Spork:
I'd definitely recommend getting a professional to have a look at what you're planning to do. There are a lot of legalities around seatbelts, and the last thing you want in an accident is an unsecured seat ripping loose and slamming into the front passengers.

Wouldn't happen. If you look at pictures of most hearses, there's a wall between the "cargo area" and the passenger area.

So we'd be fine.

Er. I mean "we" would be fine.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-07-01, 8:31 AM #17
Not so great for the passenger in said backseat though :P
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2007-07-03, 8:39 AM #18
Just put that friend who you don't *really* like, but tolerate because you feel bad, back there.

↑ Up to the top!