Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Attempted bombings in the UK
Attempted bombings in the UK
2007-06-30, 3:08 PM #1
Little surprised this hasn't made it on to the forums yet but then no loss of life has occurred yet, luckily.

This story on the bbc should fill anyone in who isn't aware of what has happened in the UK over the past 2 days, linky.

I am not at all put off from doing my day to day activities because of what has been going on and I steadfastly refuse to be no matter what happens. However what is really starting to annoy me and get me angry is the people these terrorists are targeting, its nothing new, but none the less really gets me mad :argh: They don't target government institutions or buildings but instead target the public, most of whom have no gripes with these people other than when their activities interfere with them and their own lives.

There is also the fact that there is currently very little any of us can do in the UK (or aboard) to help prevent such things from occurring, at most we can report strange looking parked cars and people acting suspicious. But if everybody did that the country would crawl to a standstill because of it.

I'm currently nearing the end of my first year of my PhD and already I am thinking of my career afterwards and more and more I am leaning towards taking a career within certain government departments that could in some way prevent these things from occurring....now I begin to look at my screen name with some sense of irony...
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2007-06-30, 3:30 PM #2
Couldn't they find a face that belongs to that car? I mean, isn't London infamous for its abundance of surveillance cameras?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-06-30, 4:12 PM #3
I mentioned this in the chat and nobody really gave a toss so I didn't post the thread. :P

Even if they didn't go for a government building, I can at least understand targeting London, but why the hell attack an airport in scotland? Hell, Glasgow isn't even the capital.

[Edit: What I'm more surprised about was that there wasn't a thread about Blair not being Prime Minister anymore.]
nope.
2007-07-01, 2:24 AM #4
Hmm odd, why haven't I heard about it before this? Oh well...
/fluffle
2007-07-01, 4:54 AM #5
indeed, i am surprised also.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2007-07-01, 5:37 AM #6
Well, I find it funny how it was originally downplayed so much in the news. Here in GA, it did not make any of the front pages of the newspapers (One was on the 7th page, can't remember the other).

But then again, they didn't really do much after the plot for the JFK airport was revealed last month. Seems like they only really cover things that are executed, not foiled plots.
2007-07-01, 9:51 AM #7
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
But then again, they didn't really do much after the plot for the JFK airport was revealed last month. Seems like they only really cover things that are executed, not foiled plots.

The whatnow?
nope.
2007-07-01, 11:14 AM #8
Try as I might, I just can't think of anything useful to say about this that hasn't already been said by someone else somewhere else.

/me mutters something about incompetent terrorists/trial by fire for Brown/three million surveilance cameras mumble mumble mumble.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-07-01, 11:19 AM #9
You know, somewhere Osama Bin Laden has heard about this and is shaking his head and going on about how things aren't what they used to be for Muslim Terrorists.

I mean honestly, is this the best they could do? Come on!
2007-07-01, 5:56 PM #10
Originally posted by Baconfish:
The whatnow?

I hope you're joking...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/02/jfk.terror.plot/index.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/06/02/national/main2877931.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6715443.stm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/02/AR2007060200606.html
2007-07-01, 6:11 PM #11
Originally posted by James Bond:
They don't target government institutions or buildings but instead target the public, most of whom have no gripes with these people other than when their activities interfere with them and their own lives.

That's exactly the point - kill a number of innocent civilians in a public, shocking way, and you have the whole nation living in fear.
幻術
2007-07-01, 6:12 PM #12
Nope, never heard anything about it.
nope.
2007-07-01, 10:19 PM #13
Originally posted by Baconfish:
Nope, never heard anything about it.

You, sir, have beaten the terrorists.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-07-01, 10:22 PM #14
Originally posted by Michael MacFarlane:
Try as I might, I just can't think of anything useful to say about this that hasn't already been said by someone else somewhere else.

Seconded, which is why I didn't post in this thread yesterday.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-07-02, 2:35 AM #15
The German minister of the interior is trying to use these attempted bombings to press on his agenda to bring us secret online surveillance of private PCs.

I was born in 1984. :(
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-07-02, 2:37 AM #16
I'm really glad those bombings were stopped. This **** is getting old fast.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2007-07-02, 7:38 AM #17
Yknow the one at Glasgow was successful...
nope.
2007-07-02, 5:28 PM #18
It was? I thought a flaming van burned up a security station but that, aside from that, the airport is fine.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2007-07-02, 6:30 PM #19
They weren't exactly going to destroy the airport with one jeep, but they did at leasta send it through the front of the terminal.
nope.
2007-07-03, 9:11 AM #20
What the ****? Wrong profession guys.

No seriously, what the hell?
2007-07-03, 1:04 PM #21
Britain has been the target of so many terrorist attacks I think we're just starting to shrug it off.

Heck, our history is just full of death and destruction.
2007-07-03, 1:15 PM #22
And theres that thing I pointed out ages ago. After 9/11, the US shut down all the airports and stuff like that, nobody would go on planes for a few days. The London bombings however, folk were back at the bus stop waiting for the same buses the next morning. :P
nope.
2007-07-03, 3:35 PM #23
Why does Britain seemed to get targetted by the rookie division of Al Queada? We've had some of the lamest terrorists ever, like that shoe-bomber guy. They ought to start sending their guys to be trained by the IRA.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2007-07-03, 4:13 PM #24
Wait, you want them to attack us with the big guns?
nope.
2007-07-03, 4:22 PM #25
I think he's just making fun of them for sucking so bad at sucking.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-07-03, 4:56 PM #26
If you suck at sucking, you're good. :P
nope.
2007-07-03, 8:40 PM #27
Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
Why does Britain seemed to get targetted by the rookie division of Al Queada?

because you don't have the cia?

↑ Up to the top!