Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → LotR
LotR
2007-07-02, 7:59 AM #1
Last night, my wife and I finished watching LotR again (extended cuts). I'm glad my wife likes them (she likes them more than Star Wars). I enjoyed them so much (again), that I've started The Silmarillion and plan on reading The Hobbit and LotR.

Anyway, on to the point: I like all three films, but for some reason, Fellowship seems more special to me than the others. I don't know if it's because of the cool monsters or the introduction of the characters or what, but I like it better than the last 2.

Vote. Go.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-07-02, 8:06 AM #2
I don't know, it's between Fellowship and Return of the King for me
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2007-07-02, 8:19 AM #3
I don't know if I liked any of them enough to warrant choosing a favourite, although I enjoyed watching them.
2007-07-02, 8:21 AM #4
I might like Fellowship the most, as well. It's a bit more coherent than Return of the King because it's not nearly as packed so they can take it more easy and the pace is thus more suitable for longer cuts and scenes that can be built more meaningfully.

And also, the scene that has the most impact for me in all three films is the death of Boromir. Interestingly enough the later films (EEs) only make that scene even more powerful as Boromir's better sides are revealed in more detail.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-07-02, 8:24 AM #5
TTT simply for the Forth Eorlingas sequence (incluidng the coming of Gandalf) and opening with the Balrog. Oh yeah, and Sam's little monologue.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-07-02, 8:25 AM #6
Ya know, I think the "deaths" were part of it too. Even though I read the books, you still had the feeling of "Wow, they're screwed" at the end - Gandalf was gone, Boromir died, Frodo and Sam left on their own... I think that was a big part of it for me.
2007-07-02, 8:48 AM #7
Fellowship of the Ring is my favorite, although the Extended Edition of The Two Towers was a big improvement over its theatrical release (I haven't seen RotK's EE).
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2007-07-02, 8:56 AM #8
They were all really boring.
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-07-02, 9:09 AM #9
Two Towers, by far.

It begins in darkness, Gandalf dead, Boromir dead, Merry and Pippin captured, Sam and Frodo escape, the "fellowship of the ring" is broken, their numbers are dwindling, it appears all hope is lost for our heroes.

The story continues through darkness, the trip through the Dead Marshes, the broken king of Minas Tirith, the introduction of Gollum (To the Hobbits), the little hope of Faramir's men, the fear of Minas Morgal.

The actual writing of The Two Towers exudes isolationism, everything they do is being done alone, as opposed to the more group oriented dialogue in the other two books. The speech is sparse, there is always an air of uncertainty. It's such a juxtaposition from the first book.

The book is left in darkness, as well. Frodo is feared dead, and then captured by the orcs, gollum has left Sam. And it's left to Sam, the most helpless character in the book up until this point, to save Frodo, the ring, and the world.

All the events up to this point, rely on him, and everything seems hopeless. It's the feeling that has always stuck with me after reading the entire series, it's one of the greatest situations in any novel I've read.

And Ents rock \m/
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-07-02, 9:16 AM #10
It's a close one between Fellowship and 2towers.
But I voted Fellowship. However, at the time I had forgotten about the ents, so I dunno, probably a tie between teh first two.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-07-02, 9:28 AM #11
I'm going to take the "LotR was actually one really long book" route and say that the movies are actually one really long movie so I don't have to pick a favorite.
Pissed Off?
2007-07-02, 10:18 AM #12
Originally posted by Avenger:
I'm going to take the "LotR was actually one really long book" route and say that the movies are actually one really long movie so I don't have to pick a favorite.

Ditto. But I lurves Return of the King. Mostly just for the battles.

Originally posted by SMOCK!:

You fail at life.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-07-02, 10:21 AM #13

I saw the first one and developed haemorrhoids because it was just that long.

Or at least, it felt like it.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2007-07-02, 10:25 AM #14
The extended cut of Return of the King is one of the greatest pieces of filmmaking in existence.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2007-07-02, 11:13 AM #15
I really loved the Fellowship of the Ring. I had never read the books prior to seeing the movies, and the first movie was really just plain awesome. I loved every bit of it.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2007-07-02, 11:18 AM #16
Ewww, sick poll results. Fellowship was by far the best movie... The sense of newfound adventure, excitement, and wonderment, the discovery, the mystery, and the fear, etc, were all so great.

The second two were awesome, but just not quite there.
2007-07-02, 12:04 PM #17
Fellowship.

TTT raped my memories and don't get me started on Searchlight Sauron from RotK.

FotR was by far the easiest to endure.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-07-02, 12:52 PM #18
I can't choose, so I'm going for the 4th option.
nope.
2007-07-02, 1:18 PM #19
I think the Order of the Phoenix will be the best movie in the series.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2007-07-02, 1:32 PM #20
Originally posted by Veger:
I think the Order of the Phoenix will be the best movie in the series.

So much hate.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-07-02, 1:34 PM #21
Originally posted by Impi:
Fellowship.

TTT raped my memories and don't get me started on Searchlight Sauron from RotK.

FotR was by far the easiest to endure.

The worst part of the RotK was the extended presence of the ghosts. It had the feeling of the police showing up at the end of Monty Python and the Holy Grail to get the movie finished up.
2007-07-02, 2:02 PM #22
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
It had the feeling of the police showing up at the end of Monty Python and the Holy Grail to get the movie finished up.

You're joking about that, right?

Possibly the most awesome comedy ending ever.
2007-07-02, 2:17 PM #23
...Jesus Christ Obi, do you have a sense of humour? Or is it too british for you?
nope.
2007-07-02, 2:29 PM #24
RotK could have used the policemen showing up to end the movie. It ended like five times! And all the endings were boring!
Ban Jin!
2007-07-02, 2:36 PM #25
It ended once you backward crude human, you know... when the credits rolled.

After an 11 hour film it takes more than a AND THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER to effectively tie everything up.
2007-07-02, 2:46 PM #26
Everything everyone's said about TTT is why it's my favorite. It's a lot more artistic, and appeals to the writers I think. It's very very well done depressing work. Very few authors/film makers can nail depressing and dark.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-07-02, 2:50 PM #27
Originally posted by DEFINOTELY NOT SPE:
It ended once you backward crude human, you know... when the credits rolled.

After an 11 hour film it takes more than a AND THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER to effectively tie everything up.
That's why one doesn't make 11-hour movies.
Ban Jin!
2007-07-02, 5:55 PM #28
Though I love them all, whenever I want to watch one on DVD, I choose RotK. Probably because I love a good ending. Also, I really love the line, "... here, at the end of all things." For a second there, I actually thought they might die.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2007-07-02, 6:13 PM #29
Originally posted by saberopus:
Ewww, sick poll results. Fellowship was by far the best movie... The sense of newfound adventure, excitement, and wonderment, the discovery, the mystery, and the fear, etc, were all so great.

The second two were awesome, but just not quite there.

I agree. I voted RotK but when I think about it, Fellowship is better.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-07-02, 6:14 PM #30
Originally posted by Chaz Ghostle:
For a second there, I actually thought they might die.

i never got much tension from the plot itself... i read this massive 1000 page spoiler before the films came out. :(
2007-07-02, 7:04 PM #31
You're joking about that, right?

Possibly the most awesome comedy ending ever.

Right. The exact opposite of an Epic movie ending, which is why it didn't work with lotr.

Or were you joking?
2007-07-02, 7:12 PM #32
Does anybody else dislike the Extended Cut of Return of the King? Many of the added scenes just don't fit well...

I voted RotK anyway.
2007-07-02, 7:26 PM #33
It's been so long since I've seen it in the theaters, I don't remember what scenes were added. There were some things I didn't like though, like the Mouth of Sauron. He looked... odd... His helmet looked retarded and he acted silly. Didn't like the Spotlight of Sauron either. Can't think of what else off the top of my head right now...
2007-07-02, 7:35 PM #34
I liked the mouth of sauron... but I hated the scene where Aragorn uses the palantir... it just didn't really fit. And the Houses of Healing scenes too...
2007-07-02, 7:38 PM #35
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Right. The exact opposite of an Epic movie ending, which is why it didn't work with lotr.

Or were you joking?

i wasnt even talking about lord of the rings. (also, that wasnt the ending).
2007-07-02, 8:19 PM #36
What was the ending? Was it when Aragorn was crowned king? Or when the Hobbits were reunited? Or when they left on the boat? You'll probably say when Sam said "Well, I'm back" (they did that right?) but each of the other scenes too effectively ended the movie. Somehow having those scenes worked in the book, but not in the movie.
Ban Jin!
2007-07-02, 8:22 PM #37
i wasnt even talking about lord of the rings. (also, that wasnt the ending).

I know, but the way it wrapped that battle up so quickly sort of felt like the end of the the Holy Grail, which, while hilarious, doesn't work with lotr. Got it?
2007-07-02, 8:35 PM #38
Yeah i got you but what did you want, another 30 minutes of fighting to punctuate the previous 30 minutes of fighting? I can't fully remember how it was done in the book but I thought it worked well to move the story along instead of just having more mindless cg violence.
2007-07-02, 9:18 PM #39
What was the ending? Was it when Aragorn was crowned king? Or when the Hobbits were reunited? Or when they left on the boat? You'll probably say when Sam said "Well, I'm back" (they did that right?) but each of the other scenes too effectively ended the movie. Somehow having those scenes worked in the book, but not in the movie.

It worked fine. Those other scenes wrapped things up and told us how the world went back to normal, and how some things were even better. It's just like Sam said: "... But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer." This had to be shown.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."

↑ Up to the top!