Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Fair and balanced
Fair and balanced
2007-07-02, 4:23 PM #1
Hahaha!
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-07-02, 4:33 PM #2
wow, just wow. man im sure glad we have unbiased and balanced media in this country :rolleyes: the video was hilarious, but the cnn program was... disturbing?
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-07-02, 4:40 PM #3
What is Stephen A Smith doing on that show? Talk about out of place! I don't really even like his NBA analysis.

That said, good video.
2007-07-02, 4:47 PM #4
Poignant and rather hilarious. That CNN program hurts my head; you'd think fully grown adults would be past arguing like the righteous, misinformed dunderheads we all knew in high school.

I guess I have too high of hopes, though. My bad.
"Art is a lie that makes us to realize the truth."
- Pablo Picasso

blog thingamajig
2007-07-02, 4:56 PM #5
Good video.
2007-07-02, 6:20 PM #6
I really liked this video of his: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SabcvBDtSE0
幻術
2007-07-02, 6:33 PM #7
I can't believe that was on CNN. What's sad is that there wasn't an uproar about this anywhere.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-07-02, 7:11 PM #8
Originally posted by Achelois:
Poignant and rather hilarious. That CNN program hurts my head; you'd think fully grown adults would be past arguing like the righteous, misinformed dunderheads we all knew in high school.

I guess I have too high of hopes, though. My bad.

I have long accepted that humanity is woefully stupid and inept and it's only the small percentage of actual bright and/or reasonable-minded people are keeping us from regressing to Dark Ages times. Although I think their efforts will eventually be in vain.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-07-02, 8:41 PM #9
Wow, that CNN report really, really sucked. I'm not even atheist and I was offended. In fact, I was offended by both the portrayal of Christians and Atheists. (It's high time Atheist be capitalized >_>)
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2007-07-02, 8:41 PM #10
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
I have long accepted that humanity is woefully stupid and inept and it's only the small percentage of actual bright and/or reasonable-minded people are keeping us from regressing to Dark Ages times. Although I think their efforts will eventually be in vain.

hey, if we're lucky, maybe the comet or asteroid will hit us before then.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-07-02, 8:43 PM #11
I'm tiered of people confusing discrimination with opposition. Every time I turn around, I hear "We can't have giant statures of the ten commandments on the lawns of courthouses. The atheists will surely put us in concentration camps next!" and at the same time. "Oh noes, a few obsolete unenforceable laws that would not be used against anyway, mean that America is fast becoming a crazy fundamentalist state!"

Seriously, bickering over stupid little laws that have no effect on anyone's life besides allowing them to rub them in the oppositions faces, will never solve anything. If you really want to make a difference, try evangelizing* your position. that's the only way real change is going to take place. You can make all stupid legal victories you want, you're not changing anyone's mind.

My theory is that, when it comes down to it, people don't really care about changing things, they just like to feel oppressed and downtrodden, so they can be outraged about it.

*Before you say anything try looking up the meaning of this word, mkay? Or at least look at the context.

DISCLAIMER: I have just spent some time reading user comments on Digg and You Tube. My cynicism and total lack of faith in the intelligence of the human race is at a greatly heightened level.
2007-07-02, 8:55 PM #12
Wheeeee now it's an argument.
Ban Jin!
2007-07-02, 8:58 PM #13
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
I'm tiered of people confusing discrimination with opposition.

There is no confusion. There is a LOT of discrimination against atheists, especially in the south. Families have been ousted out of their homes when the town gets word they don't believe in god.

"Oh noes, a few obsolete unenforceable laws that would not be used against anyway, mean that America is fast becoming a crazy fundamentalist state!"

Wow, talk about putting words in others' mouthes. No one said America is fast become a crazy fundamentalist state. Just because laws are not unenforced does NOT mean it is okay for them to be there. Legally they CAN be enforced, which is the problem.

By your logic, the spoken law takes precedence over written law.:downswords:
2007-07-02, 9:47 PM #14
"Europe is becoming Islamist..."

Wow. Debbie Schlussel, truly you are the destitute man's Ann Coulter.

Anyway, this whole thing just makes my head hurt. I'm absolutely a theist, but CNN has offended me as a thinking person. It's the kind of narrow-minded stupidity that I came to expect from my Christian high school, and to see it from a major national news source is just embarrassing.

Christians make it so hard to be a Christian sometimes. .(
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-07-02, 9:51 PM #15
Haha, so true. :P
Ban Jin!
2007-07-02, 9:52 PM #16
Originally posted by Emon:
There is no confusion. There is a LOT of discrimination against atheists, especially in the south. Families have been ousted out of their homes when the town gets word they don't believe in god.

I would really like to see some evidence of this. One or to instances of some red necks being discriminatory towards some atheists does not count as a "LOT" either. I promise for every case that you can find of atheists being discriminated against there's another outrage that a conservative Christan has.

Quote:
Wow, talk about putting words in others' mouthes. No one said America is fast become a crazy fundamentalist state. Just because laws are not unenforced does NOT mean it is okay for them to be there. Legally they CAN be enforced, which is the problem.

No one said that in this thread, anyway, but I'm not really attacking anyone in the thread.

And about the laws, no one is arguing that they are not a problem. It's just that they are clearly not THE problem, nor would removing them be the solution either.

The real issue is that people aren't try to bring about change by trying to change people's ideas, which is the only way to bring about real change. Instead they bicker about laws that are at best nothing but indications of what the society a whole believes.

To take it to an extreme where laws actually did make a sizable impact on people's lives, freeing the slaves sure didn't solve the black's problems in the South, did it? As long as the people think one way, all the laws in the world aren't going to fix the problem.

My point is, both Christians and Atheists have issues with each other, but for the most part, neither side is actually doing what it will take to get the issues resolved, which is to change the way people think. Getting minor legal victories is little more than flipping off the other side. All it does is make them even more outraged.

Mainstream Christianity has no excuse. Even the Bible says that they are going about it all wrong. I mean, you never saw any of the apostles running around in shock that non-Christians weren't adhering to the laws of Christ.
2007-07-02, 10:00 PM #17
Good video.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-07-02, 10:07 PM #18
Wait, what are you talking about, Obi? I'm kind of confused. Laws? Bickering? I don't think there's some invisible war.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-07-02, 10:19 PM #19
I promise for every case that you can find of atheists being discriminated against there's another outrage that a conservative Christan has.

Like what, dhem satinst athests takin ahur prayir outta sckools? :downs:
2007-07-02, 10:59 PM #20
Originally posted by Emon:

If it helps, the south is basically just a spawning pool. Subhumans live and die there, and when a human evolves they leave and rejoin civilization.

The instinct to repel atheists and wiccans and ay-rabs and dem witch-y "sciency folk" is a natural adaptation to ensure the humans leave the cess.
2007-07-02, 11:01 PM #21
Quote:
"Europe is becoming Islamist..."

You know, the amount of muslims here has increased lately. :tinfoil:

Quote:
I have long accepted that humanity is woefully stupid and inept and it's only the small percentage of actual bright and/or reasonable-minded people are keeping us from regressing to Dark Ages times.

Exactly my thoughts!

Oh, and damn you Americans are nuts.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-07-02, 11:02 PM #22
Originally posted by FastGamerr:
Oh, and damn you Americans are nuts.

guess what percentage you're in
2007-07-02, 11:04 PM #23
:saddowns:
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-07-02, 11:26 PM #24
You know, I think that the Order of the Phoenix will be the best movie in the series.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2007-07-02, 11:39 PM #25

:confused:
2007-07-02, 11:46 PM #26
It's pretty likely that anyone who's ever said 'HURRRR' to someone else in an attempt at mockery is in the greater percentage. :rolleyes:
2007-07-02, 11:52 PM #27
Originally posted by Jon`C:
If it helps, the south is basically just a spawning pool. Subhumans live and die there, and when a human evolves they leave and rejoin civilization.

The instinct to repel atheists and wiccans and ay-rabs and dem witch-y "sciency folk" is a natural adaptation to ensure the humans leave the cess.

Wait...

So when I make fun of wiccans I'm encouraging them to do something other than smoke pot and not shower? :/
2007-07-02, 11:52 PM #28
It's also pretty likely that any given person is in the greater percentage. :)
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-07-02, 11:55 PM #29
:argh:
2007-07-03, 9:14 AM #30
Originally posted by Freelancer:
It's also pretty likely that any given person is in the greater percentage. :)
WHAT? That's not how probability works!
Ban Jin!
2007-07-03, 10:59 AM #31
Originally posted by JediGandalf:

I believe that the majority of people have some positive qualities that, when cultivated, have the potential to contribute to the benefit of humanity. Wisdom is required of leaders to make use of these qualities.

This could just be my naive idealism talking, though.
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2007-07-03, 11:14 AM #32
Originally posted by Krokodile:
I believe that the majority of people have some positive qualities that, when cultivated, have the potential to contribute to the benefit of humanity. Wisdom is required of leaders to make use of these qualities.

This could just be my naive idealism talking, though.

yeah, but thats like saying "hmm... rob could be nice today" you know its not going to happen ;)
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-07-03, 11:20 AM #33
Yeah. :(
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2007-07-03, 11:31 AM #34
Just bring up the cure. :P
nope.
2007-07-03, 2:39 PM #35
Really, I think everyone's quick to stereotype the south here. I'd like some links to the radical incidents that've been quoted. The extreme things always make the news - but for the most part, we're (I live in GA) just like everyone else. We don't go around kicking out people who shun God. It is the bible belt, yes. But people have a very skewed view of what that means for public life.

My dad was in the army, so I've lived many places. From the north-east, to the south, to even Germany. There's a lot of misconceptions everywhere about people in different regions.

I just find it funny people are so quick even in this tread to make accusations, which show their own ignorance. Remember, the radical things will always make the news. Always. The normal people will rarely make the news. There's always going to be messed up areas, but the south is not just this general area where people drive trucks holding their bibles.

[just a rant on how the South always gets stereotyped]
2007-07-03, 2:45 PM #36
I've traveled in the south. I've spent months in new mexico, texas, arkansas, etc, etc. I believe about 60% of the vehicles had the flag, and 50% had religious stickers. The rest were out of state plates. I'm sorry, but I've had family from the south, and I know lots of people who live in the south. It's not as bad as some people think, you're right, but it's still pretty ****ing bad. Especially the towns with crosses on top of the public schools. I asked the lady at the rock shop in NM about that and she looked at me like I was crazy. "Why wouldn't there be a cross?"
"It's unconstitutional."
"We're all Christians here. Or catholic."
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-07-03, 3:13 PM #37
That doesn't mean they'd force an atheist out of their homes. Most people, I think, just don't realize that some people might be different from them.
Ban Jin!
2007-07-03, 3:38 PM #38
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I've traveled in the south. I've spent months in New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, etc, etc.

erm... thats more of the south/west... the "south" is more like Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana... ect.
2007-07-03, 3:58 PM #39
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
I'd like some links to the radical incidents that've been quoted. The extreme things always make the news - but for the most part, we're (I live in GA) just like everyone else.

For the most part, yes, of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_atheists

Check out the references.

It's not that atheists are the only group discriminated against. I mean, there's still a lot more against blacks. The difference is that it's generally thought to be okay to bash atheists. At the very least, you won't find many theists standing up for atheists like a white man does for a black man.

I think what hurts more than anything else, though, is how atheists get treated normally until people find out they are atheists. Just one sentence "I don't believe in god" can completely change the perception of someone.

Yeah, atheists have never had it as bad as blacks or jews, but that doesn't make it right.
2007-07-03, 4:39 PM #40
Lol. Yes the athiests will "shut up" and stop fighting for equal rights if you give em their own Hallmark card.

↑ Up to the top!