Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Video Card went BOOM
Video Card went BOOM
2007-07-03, 2:07 PM #1
So the other night my second monitor went black and my computer stopped recognizing that it was plugged in. Thats always fun!

Last night however I was sitting at dinner and I heard my computer go

"BEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP"

I got into the computer room to see that my computer had restarted. Further research shows that the POST i had (1 long beep, 3 short) means that somethings wrong with my video RAM. I unplugged everything (except for the video card) and I still got the POST error.

Am I jumping to conclusions that its the video card or should I start looking for a new one?
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2007-07-03, 2:48 PM #2
Quote:
Further research shows that the POST i had (1 long beep, 3 short) means that somethings wrong with my video RAM.

Seems like a logical guess. :)
woot!
2007-07-03, 4:01 PM #3
POST errors pointing to video RAM are also often used to refer to faulty memory or CPU cache. I know on my old boards, it was one error for ANY type of memory ANYWHERE in the system. Probably because BIOS programmers are lazy ****s.

If you have another video card, try that. If not, try swapping RAM.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-07-04, 9:33 PM #4
Sadly I dont have another PCI-E card around. I might have some RAM i can try. But if i dont, im gonna just bite the bullet and buy a new card.
2007-07-04, 9:36 PM #5
If you pay shipping I can send you one.
>>untie shoes
2007-07-04, 9:46 PM #6
to keep or just to borrow? :p

Seriously, it might just be worth it to buy a new card. Thats probably the problem anyway.
2007-07-04, 10:10 PM #7
i just found a GF4MX in my drawer, its been rattling round with random cables and pieces of metal completely unboxed for ages.

Wait a month and I'LL pay the P&P.
2007-07-04, 10:15 PM #8
Originally posted by mb:
to keep or just to borrow? :p

Seriously, it might just be worth it to buy a new card. Thats probably the problem anyway.

I've got an X850xt laying around. You can have it if you want. I don't need it.
>>untie shoes

↑ Up to the top!