Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Friend14 left massassi for new and bigger things:
Friend14 left massassi for new and bigger things:
2007-07-04, 7:13 AM #1
http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/04/steorns-orbo-free-energy-machine-demonstrated-tomorrow/
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-07-04, 7:14 AM #2
Oh jesus not these hacks again.
2007-07-04, 7:25 AM #3
"Free energy has always been available in every 3rd rate projector found in most schools."
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-07-04, 8:30 AM #4
Why don't these people take a high school physics course?
2007-07-04, 8:36 AM #5
I could use some free energy. The energy company I'm buying power from is going to raise the transfer fee... Greedy bastards...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2007-07-04, 8:40 AM #6
yeah free energy would be great, it would stop pollution and save baby seals
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2007-07-04, 9:16 AM #7
I vaguely remember something in my science book about this not being possible.

Is there a video?
2007-07-04, 9:29 AM #8
Originally posted by Fardreamer:
yeah free energy would be great, it would stop pollution and save baby seals

uh oh! i best get my seal club ready then... :)
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-07-04, 9:31 AM #9
I don't know. 'Free' energy isn't possible, but in this case i think the energy would be coming mostly from gravity and some from magnets. I have no idea whether that's possible but 'free' is not really a valid description.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-07-04, 11:53 AM #10
Yeah.

Dudes

I can get metal stuff to spin with magnets too. Doesn't mean it's free energy.
2007-07-04, 3:26 PM #11
Originally posted by Axis:
I vaguely remember something in my science book about this not being possible.

Is there a video?

There was going to be a live demonstration webcast, then there wasn't, then there was going to be an upload of the vid, then there wasn't, then there's going to be one at 6pm EST... which is just about now then.

(Not gonna happen)

This is like... the physics variant of the Phantom console. =D
Seishun da!
2007-07-04, 3:44 PM #12
Energy can't be free but it can be stolen.

We've known for a long time that you can get "free" energy using magnets - the 'extra' energy comes from reducing the organized state of the magnets (demagnetizing them). Or by demagnetizing the planet. Or by robbing the planet's angular momentum.

I'm not trying to claim that physics is immutable or that we will never discover new energy sources, but this isn't it.
2007-07-04, 4:23 PM #13
is there a deep and meaningful reason you hit return twice after the first sentence?
2007-07-04, 4:58 PM #14
Zero-Point Modules baby! We'll suck the energy out of some other universe. There's an infinite number of them anyway!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-07-04, 7:36 PM #15
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Zero-Point Modules baby! We'll suck the energy out of some other universe. There's an infinite number of them anyway!

:hist101:
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-07-04, 7:39 PM #16
Yarrr! :hist101::hist101::hist101:
2007-07-04, 8:31 PM #17
if terrorists (read: individuals) ever find a way to break the laws of physics there'll be hell to pay
2007-07-04, 8:41 PM #18
Hah, I love how the unveiling was postponed due to "technical difficulties." Yeah, creating a perpetual motion machine is quite the technical difficulty.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-07-04, 9:03 PM #19
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Why don't these people take a high school physics course?

Except high school physics is wrong.

Science isn't real. It's just something we make up to explain why things happen. Greeks had their gods, scientists have atoms and neutrinos and gravitrons.

But at least science is more reliable than God, right?
2007-07-04, 11:08 PM #20
Originally posted by Vincent Valentine:

Science isn't real. It's just something we make up to explain why things happen. Greeks had their gods, scientists have atoms and neutrinos and gravitrons.

welcome to friend14 country :downs:
2007-07-04, 11:27 PM #21

:suicide:

definition of 'science'

Originally posted by Wikipedia:
Science (from the Latin scientia, 'knowledge') is a system of acquiring knowledge based on the scientific method
2007-07-04, 11:32 PM #22
Originally posted by Mystic0:
if terrorists (read: individuals) ever find a way to break the laws of physics there'll be hell to pay
It's happened before, luckily Superman was always around to save the day. :rolleyes:
2007-07-05, 12:53 AM #23
Wasn't free energy tested on Mythbusters awhile back?

They did all sorts of different things that were supposedly able to harness free energy. I think it was busted all the way around.
2007-07-05, 1:27 AM #24
Originally posted by Fardreamer:

Look at how retarded you appear right now
2007-07-05, 2:24 AM #25
@spe: ?
2007-07-06, 7:47 AM #26
okay, but how do we know that superman won't become a terrorist?
2007-07-06, 12:01 PM #27
Originally posted by Mystic0:
okay, but how do we know that superman won't become a terrorist?

Duh, because the terrerists have kryptonite mood rings...
2007-07-06, 2:27 PM #28
Originally posted by JediGandalf:

Of course, because interdimensional rape is acceptable, since it isnt our universe, after all.... :v:

.....right? :psyduck:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2007-07-07, 5:16 AM #29
Originally posted by Admiral Zarn:
Of course, because interdimensional rape is acceptable, since it isnt our universe, after all.... :v:

.....right? :psyduck:

a universe that would be useful for zero point energy extraction would require a higher zero point energy than our own universe. which would basically mean it would need to be at maximum entropy (i.e. a dead universe)

please do not compare two activities you do not fully understand
2007-07-07, 12:29 PM #30
http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/07/steorns-ceo-states-the-obvious-we-screwed-up/

My favorite part:
Quote:
As shyster-Sean explains, Steorn brought three systems to London, one of which they got working for "about 4-hours" on Tuesday night. As we all know by now, it mysteriously ceased to function after it was moved to the display room. At that point, there was a breakdown of the watchmaker-quality bearings causing friction to "go to hell." Sean no longer attributes the failings to the lamp heat, lamenting only that his team doesn't know the cause.

I just feel bad for the people who actually got duped into investing.
2007-07-07, 4:26 PM #31
It sounds to me like this device isn't creating new energy (if it exists at all) but is rather just taking energy from a previously unconsidered source.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2007-07-07, 7:08 PM #32
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Or by demagnetizing the planet. Or by robbing the planet's angular momentum.

I can't help but think that those are bad ideas for the long run.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-07-07, 7:52 PM #33

It's TRUE. Modern science is just another branch of mysticism, developed in the 17th century out of alchemy and Hermeticism! Isaac Newton was primarily an alchemist, you know!
I'm just a little boy.
2007-07-07, 8:10 PM #34
Originally posted by GhostOfYoda:
It sounds to me like this device isn't creating new energy (if it exists at all) but is rather just taking energy from a previously unconsidered source.

Thats what I was thinking.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2007-07-07, 8:13 PM #35
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
Thats what I was thinking.

I don't think that's legal.
D E A T H
2007-07-07, 8:59 PM #36
How well established is the "multiverse" concept anyway?
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2007-07-07, 9:20 PM #37
Originally posted by Jon`C:
a universe that would be useful for zero point energy extraction would require a higher zero point energy than our own universe. which would basically mean it would need to be at maximum entropy (i.e. a dead universe)

please do not compare two activities you do not fully understand

Can anyone take a joke these days?
2007-07-07, 9:27 PM #38
Originally posted by Anakin9012:
Can anyone take a joke these days?

wow.... someone caught my stale-dry attempt at humor :neckbeard:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.

↑ Up to the top!