Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Darkness
The Darkness
2007-07-05, 7:09 AM #1
This game has to be one of the best out for the PS3 by far, although the X-Box 360 has some problems with it according to some people.

[http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1182/1172185618.jpg]
Darkness Creeper Mode

You're Jackie Estacado, a young aspiring hitman for a small time mob, and you just turned 21. Apparently, your Uncle Paulie doesn't like the way you want to handle the family business anymore and decides to put a hit out on you. Little does he know you're about to gain powers that will kill these henchmen in ways no one could describe.

The game's storyline is based off the comic its self, but there are some "changes" to make the plot more play-compatible. Despite these little nuances, the other subtle things in the game come out of the darkness and shine. Expert graffiti artist were hired in Sweden to put their art in game, watching full length feature films (To Kill a Mockingbird, The Man with the Golden Arm, and a Flash Gordon episode), hell I watched almost an hour and half straight of American-based metal music videos (Some of the bands were "eh" but the others were good), then went to watch Popeye on the next channel. The other little things include unlockable content via collecting phone numbers and dialing them to hear funny answer machines, minor side quest without feeling "distracted" from the main quest, and realistic characters in subway stations. The posters around town are also fun to look at.

[http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1182/1155998369.jpg]
Jackie and Jenny watching To Kill A Mockingbird

The Darkness is unique in which each gun has a separate trigger on the PS3/XBox 360 controller. It also has a compact HUD in which you forget it ever exist unless you're actually reloading or changing guns/darkness powers.

[http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1182/1153536030.jpg]
This is pretty much it for the HUD unless you're almost dead, out of ammo, or switching guns/powers. Poor guys.

The dialog in The Darkness is solid. Much like Oblivion and Baldur's Gate, you have options how to express what you want to say or do, and it's interesting to hear your character say those things. Most of it isn't stale and predictable, and catches the feeling of New York.

Although The Darkness has a nice wide variety of features, it does have its drawbacks. For one, even though the game features fancy guns and demons, most of it is a FPS. And that means you already know how to do things at first with your guns...point and shoot. When you get to summon forth The Darkness however (First 10 minutes in the game), the game features little puzzles on how to make more use of your guns by shooting out lamps, light-post, signs, and anything else that emits light.

You do get stronger in the game, and acquire new darkness skills and guns. To get new skills and level up your current ones, you devour the hearts of slain henchmen and anyone that attacks you., or have your summoned Darklings do it for you.

Despite it's explorable places, you really can't go back to some places of the game (Not true for all places, and you really don't need to) thus making the game feel slightly "limited", even though there's much more to explore. There are no loading screens for the most part, but when the game moves you from one place to another far away (getting on a train in the subway for example) you see a little video clip of yourself telling little pieces of information of your past. Overall, who doesn't like shooting one guy and having two demons kill another, and summoning little demon imp like creatures to help you along the way?

[http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1182/1153536031.jpg]
Love these little guys.

The game's unique spin on FPS with a nice comic-like storyline to follow gives this game a 9.2 out of 10.

(Images found here.)
2007-07-05, 7:32 AM #2
Funny you should post this. I hadn't even heard of the game until I saw a commercial last night. I probably would have missed it had I not heard Marilyn Manson's Cruci-Fiction In Space playing (not something you normally hear in a commercial).

Anyway, looks pretty cool. Is there a demo on Live yet?

Oh, and what kind of issues are people having with 360? If it's just crashing/RLOD, then IMO it's just as likely to happen when playing something like Gears.
2007-07-05, 8:27 AM #3
"There have been reports of disc errors and game freeze ups on game forums for the Xbox 360 release of the game.[1]"

The demo was delayed but should be out now.
2007-07-05, 8:41 AM #4
Originally posted by Anovis:
"There have been reports of disc errors and game freeze ups on game forums for the Xbox 360 release of the game.[1]"

My opinion concerning this quote:

You'll always hear the 10 who've had problems scream while the 1000 others are quietly enjoying the game in the comfort of their living room.

Bad disks happen. Its a shame for the few who suffers, but its rarely a mass problem.

I for one look forward to renting the game. (because I can't afford to buy games anymore)
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2007-07-05, 8:50 AM #5
Darkness! Darknesses!

Darkness is spreading.
2007-07-05, 10:07 AM #6
ha! take that bioshock! :awesome:
Welcome to the douchebag club. We'd give you some cookies, but some douche ate all of them. -Rob
2007-07-05, 10:14 AM #7
Just listen to the rhythm of my heart!

Sounds pretty awesome
2007-07-05, 10:24 AM #8
I thought of the song...
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-07-05, 1:54 PM #9
I thought of the band.

nope.
2007-07-05, 2:04 PM #10
Originally posted by saberopus:
Just listen to the rhythm of my heart!

oh yeah
2007-07-05, 2:08 PM #11
Looks pretty dumb. :/
2007-07-05, 2:24 PM #12
Wait, you can watch TV? In a videogame, you can watch TV?

We've hit a new low ^_^
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-07-05, 3:33 PM #13
Originally posted by Baconfish:
I thought of the band.

Yeah and I was freaking confused by the screenshots.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-07-05, 4:07 PM #14
I've heard... mediocre reviews. It's got a pretty short singleplayer campaign and I can't see dropping RS:V or Gears of War multiplayer to play this instead. Perhaps I'll rent it.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-07-05, 4:34 PM #15
The game was okay. Stiff dialog, some wonky control issues, repetitive (albeit sometimes cinematic) gameplay, and some really bad shortcuts in lip syncing and cut scenes. The game was fun, but it was just very linear. Talk to a guy, he tells you to kill another guy, then that guy magically appears in the right location and you kill him...repeat. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. It was a bit above average in the FPS genre. You could do some cool stuff when you fought, but it god old fast when you realized you did the same move every time you shot a guy in the head at pointblank range. Eating hearts was cute. (7 / 10) It's worth a rent, but not much more. Low replay value and throwaway multiplayer.

(Also, not to turn this into a 360 v PS3 debate, but I heard the PS3 version had some lag and graphic issues)
Think while it's still legal.
2007-07-05, 5:39 PM #16
Originally posted by Victor Van Dort:
The game was okay. Stiff dialog, some wonky control issues, repetitive (albeit sometimes cinematic) gameplay, and some really bad shortcuts in lip syncing and cut scenes. The game was fun, but it was just very linear. Talk to a guy, he tells you to kill another guy, then that guy magically appears in the right location and you kill him...repeat. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing. It was a bit above average in the FPS genre. You could do some cool stuff when you fought, but it god old fast when you realized you did the same move every time you shot a guy in the head at pointblank range. Eating hearts was cute. (7 / 10) It's worth a rent, but not much more. Low replay value and throwaway multiplayer.

(Also, not to turn this into a 360 v PS3 debate, but I heard the PS3 version had some lag and graphic issues)

The PS3 version (I've noticed) has no lag or graphics issues. The only bad thing on the PS3 version is the multiplayer, since PS3 players can't really invite friends to a match, and some latency issues online (not in single player)

I agree with you on the "Talk to the guy, kill one other guy" gameplay. It does make the game very linear and somewhat restricting. It will go very quick for the "Run, bash through, kill kill kill" type person, however if the "sit down and watch the mini t.v. for an hour and continue on quest" person is you, you'll find the game a little more entertaining.
2007-07-05, 5:47 PM #17
The TV was amazing.
2007-07-05, 6:10 PM #18
Hmm maybe I should give this game some consideration if I ever become a PS3 owner.

Side note, PlayStation 3 will have a $100 ($499.99) price cut on July 15.
2007-07-05, 8:53 PM #19
You ACTUALLY watch a TV? Help me understand this concept. There's a TV, you turn it on by activating it? Help.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-07-05, 11:50 PM #20
I'll most likely never play this game, but I'm curious about the TV. Is it a Dick Justice-style slide show, or is it actual video?
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2007-07-06, 12:50 AM #21
Address Unknown

Part of our "Return to Sender" marathon
2007-07-06, 6:34 AM #22
T.V.'s in the game are usually automatically turned on. Most of the time when you approach one in the game, it offers a news report of what happened (what you just did) in the game. Sometimes it even helps you (If you're in a building, and they say "We see a few guys heading up to the building right now", you'll be prepared for them).

These clips are usually short and soon "return you back to normal programming", which includes a wide variety (for a video game, mind you, not actual T.V.) of music videos (Hour and a half worth), cartoons (30 minutes worth), and full length feature films. I watched all of To Kill a Mockingbird last night with Jackie's girlfriend, Jenny.
2007-07-06, 8:11 AM #23
I'm so glad this thread wasn't about that crappy band. That being said, the game looks pretty :awesome:
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-07-06, 8:17 AM #24
Cool to hear about the news bulletins referring to in-game stuff, that was always one of the things I really liked about Max Payne.
2007-07-06, 4:18 PM #25
One thing that just screamed LAZY was that your character has a map and on it you list locations you need to go. One of those locations is "Paulie's Mansion" ...That location is also on the map in the subway...Because I'm sure all the civilians are just dying to know how to get to "Paulie's Mansion"
2007-07-06, 8:10 PM #26
Originally posted by Rob:
Looks pretty dumb. :/

I agree. From what I've seen and heard I'm unimpressed. But... That is one of the things I love about Live... getting demos whenever I want them... So maybe I'll grab it later and check it out.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-07-06, 9:03 PM #27
Originally posted by Lord Kuat:
Darkness! Darknesses!

Darkness is spreading.

It's a celebration!
2007-07-07, 9:01 AM #28
Originally posted by Victor Van Dort:
One thing that just screamed LAZY was that your character has a map and on it you list locations you need to go. One of those locations is "Paulie's Mansion" ...That location is also on the map in the subway...Because I'm sure all the civilians are just dying to know how to get to "Paulie's Mansion"

And also he got a WWI map somehow in the Darkness's dream...

↑ Up to the top!