Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Shadowbane?
Shadowbane?
2007-07-06, 7:23 PM #1
Is this game any good?
I hear it has a good pvp system and it's a free game.

Anyone here plays/played this game?
Back again
2007-07-06, 8:57 PM #2
Is THIS what you're talking about?
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2007-07-06, 9:08 PM #3
I've played it. It's pretty terrible.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-07-06, 9:23 PM #4
Yeah, djw.

The intro scene is annoying and I can't seem to escape out of it.

I guess I'll play WoW.

---
plus you need subscription, how horrible
Back again
2007-07-07, 3:24 AM #5
When it first came out it supposedly had a pretty revolutionary PvP system. However, that was a few years ago and I would suspect that newer games have become superior as far as PvP goes. Age of Conan looks to have a really good PvP system.
2007-07-07, 9:59 AM #6
Warhammer Online looks pretty awesome too.
Back again
2007-07-07, 11:57 AM #7
FURY ONLINE
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2007-07-07, 12:42 PM #8
Sword Of The New World is free to play right now.

http://www.swordofthenewworld.com
2007-07-07, 12:45 PM #9
Beta wasn't all that interesting. The game is way too linear for an MMO

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-07-07, 12:49 PM #10
But it's fun to play. :)
2007-07-07, 12:49 PM #11
Not really. Attack moving from one end of a zone to the other isn't all that fun. There's too many enemies around to make use of the spells and abilities.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-07-07, 12:56 PM #12
Maybe you didn't play with the right guys, but I can clear out an entire room before it really starts to respawn.

And it's pretty easy to just run from one spot to another and ignore everything if you want.

Infact, having so many monsters on the screen at once was one of the things I enjoyed the most about the game. You don't wait around for spawns if you get a quest to grind things, you just find an unoccupied room or area and start kicking ***.

I kind of wish I had made something other than a scout though, the scounts are kind of useless. My Musketeer and my Fighter are both totally awesome to behold though.
2007-07-07, 2:38 PM #13
Originally posted by Gettleburger:
FURY ONLINE
Furry Online? Ohooo, you mean Furcadia? You play that?? I'm a level 28 otter-man of the otter-man empire, how about you! [http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5787/animal0020xp3.gif]

Shadowbane is decent, but only because of the PvP system, and, really, if you're looking for player combat and no subscription you might as well play Guild Wars: Factions. I can't endure Shadowbane because that would mean coping with prehistoric graphics, an inconvenient UI, and a lack of anthro races to choose for my fursona
2007-07-07, 2:46 PM #14
Originally posted by Rob:
Maybe you didn't play with the right guys, but I can clear out an entire room before it really starts to respawn.

And it's pretty easy to just run from one spot to another and ignore everything if you want.

Infact, having so many monsters on the screen at once was one of the things I enjoyed the most about the game. You don't wait around for spawns if you get a quest to grind things, you just find an unoccupied room or area and start kicking ***.

I kind of wish I had made something other than a scout though, the scounts are kind of useless. My Musketeer and my Fighter are both totally awesome to behold though.

I never said anything about the difficulty, I was complaining about the fun.

Clearing an entire room without casting a spell is boring. Going from one end of an area and back in order to level up without having to do anything is boring.

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2007-07-07, 2:50 PM #15
Originally posted by Rob:
Sword Of The New World is free to play right now.

http://www.swordofthenewworld.com
I'd like to point out that the art direction for this game is really ogod. The game kinda got mindnumbing a little more quickly than most online games (probably because of the emphasis on automated attacking), but the atmosphere and music made it enjoybbbable.
2007-07-07, 3:58 PM #16
Originally posted by money•bie:
Furry Online? Ohooo, you mean Furcadia? You play that?? I'm a level 28 otter-man of the otter-man empire, how about you! [http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/5787/animal0020xp3.gif]

Shadowbane is decent, but only because of the PvP system, and, really, if you're looking for player combat and no subscription you might as well play Guild Wars: Factions. I can't endure Shadowbane because that would mean coping with prehistoric graphics, an inconvenient UI, and a lack of anthro races to choose for my fursona

I thought he was talking about this.
Back again
2007-07-07, 4:22 PM #17
Ha that's a pretty big difference.

2007-07-08, 1:08 AM #18
Originally posted by money•bie:
I'd like to point out that the art direction for this game is really ogod. The game kinda got mindnumbing a little more quickly than most online games (probably because of the emphasis on automated attacking), but the atmosphere and music made it enjoybbbable.

Yeah, the art direction is what made me play the game to begin with.

I like the fighting styles alot.

I don't think I would pay a subscription to this game, but it is a GREAT time killer. 45-120 minutes at a time it's pretty fun.

It plays like Diablo with less clicking and more action.
2007-07-08, 9:41 PM #19
[url]www.unleashthefury.com[/url]

uses the unreal3 engine and, looks gorgeous, and is fun as hell

in the middle of closed beta atm
A dream is beautiful because it remains a dream.
2007-07-09, 11:57 AM #20
Yes. Shadowbane is awesome. Its still somewhat buggy but a lot better than it is when it came out. The PVP system is the what the game is built around, not leveling up or pimping out your character's gear. But you can still have a good time doing those things.

All cities in the game are player built and overtaken/destroyed by other players. There is open PVP everywhere except a few safehold cities dotted around the map, and the island where you start your character.

IMO, the only way to truly have fun in the game is to meet other players that you can get to know in ventrilo and enjoy participating in siege's and smaller fights with. On the Wrath and Vindication servers you can get from level 1 to 75 (highest level) in under 3 days with the help of a guild.

One drawback, is there are a lot of chinese players ever since the game went free, who mindlessly zerg. But North American and Euro players are currently rallying accross all of the servers to destroy their cities and kick them out, giving huge seige fights every other night.

Oh, and this is the site you wanna look at.

It's free, so give it a try.

Edit: Oh didn't notice your second post. The game forces you to sit through the intro scene the first time you start the game. You can press escape after that. I think it makes you watch the 5-second dell thing a couple times, but you'll never see it again after that.

↑ Up to the top!