Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → JK: DF2 + Windows Vista 64-bit = NOT COMPATIBLE
JK: DF2 + Windows Vista 64-bit = NOT COMPATIBLE
2007-07-07, 4:33 PM #1
Recently I decided to build myself a new computer. 'Spent so much money on it that I had to borrow some from my bro, putting me in debt. I installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition on it, and ended up loving it. Other than a few other very minor compatibility issues, there's just one thing that bugs me...

JK: DF2 isn't compatible with the 64-bit version of Vista!!! :suicide:

Sure, I don't play or edit JK much anymore, but I hate not being able to. I think it may be compatible with the 32-bit version of Vista, but I'm not sure, and I don't really care. I want to be able to play it on Vista 64-bit! Has anyone else had this problem? We need a (user-made) patch! :argh:

... Either that or I could just get another copy of XP Pro and dual-boot with Vista Ultimate 64-bit. :saddowns:
- _R__Y__A__N_ (A.K.A. Saber_Ryan1)
/ www.rycast.com - Rycast Productions \
2007-07-07, 4:44 PM #2
It works on Vista 32 bit.

As for 64 bit, what is the exact problem you are having? It may be a driver issue rather than a 64bit problem.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-07-07, 4:50 PM #3
Perhaps try VirtualPC, and set up a Windows 98 (of some other JK-friendly OS) virtual machine on it.... I think that it would do the job, unless you don't happen to have an installation disc for some other operating system handy. :v:
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2007-07-07, 4:57 PM #4
I think since jk was coded a while back parts of it were done in 16 bit instructions (i think?) and those 64 bit os's can't read. 32 bit os's can read 16 and 32 while 64 bit read 32 and 64 from what i've read.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2007-07-07, 4:58 PM #5
I don't think so.

The JK executable is a 32bit one for windows 95/98. DOS games are 16bit i think.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2007-07-07, 5:14 PM #6
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't run :/
2007-07-07, 6:02 PM #7
well this is a huge loss
2007-07-07, 6:09 PM #8
All the more reason for SITH 2!

/me runs
2007-07-07, 6:59 PM #9
Possible solutions:

1. ALT-TAB out and back into the game, it fixes some problems on Vista.
2. Don't use Vista 64, because you don't need it anyway.

(psst, 64-bit doesn't mean it's twice as fast!)
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2007-07-07, 7:07 PM #10
I've run into this problem on XP 64bit. It won't run because the installer is 16bit. No way around it. :( Vista and XP 64bit only run 64 and 32bit code.
2007-07-07, 7:09 PM #11
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
No way around it. :(

Just copy the files manually. They aren't even compressed. Or if they are, rip them with Universal Extractor or another tool that can extract InstallShield CABs.
2007-07-08, 1:11 AM #12
This is the best news I've heard in a while.
2007-07-08, 5:58 AM #13
Do not use the installer for JK. Use these instructions.

:)
2007-07-08, 11:34 AM #14
Ohh, the installer is 16-bit. I wondered why I could run old 32-bit games and not JK... Why the hell is it 16-bit? :mad: I can install other old games like Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (which was released the same year as JK) with no problems, but not JK!

Quote:
Perhaps try VirtualPC, and set up a Windows 98 (of some other JK-friendly OS) virtual machine on it.... I think that it would do the job, unless you don't happen to have an installation disc for some other operating system handy.

Hmm. I didn't think of using a type of emulator, which is what this "VirtualPC" seems to be... It might just work.

Quote:
Possible solutions:

1. ALT-TAB out and back into the game, it fixes some problems on Vista.
2. Don't use Vista 64, because you don't need it anyway.

(psst, 64-bit doesn't mean it's twice as fast!)

No, I don't need it, but I still want to use it. :P After all, I paid nearly $1,000 for a 64-bit capable quad-core CPU -- I might as well use it to its full potential. I have a few applications already that take advantage of 64-bit... And no, it's not twice as fast, but it's still faster! :D

ZeqMacaw and Emon were right. Moving the files manually worked... Except that I'm getting a lot of graphical artifacts in-game. I guess my video card is too new. :P This is where that VirtualPC might come in handy... Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Thanks everyone!
- _R__Y__A__N_ (A.K.A. Saber_Ryan1)
/ www.rycast.com - Rycast Productions \
2007-07-08, 1:09 PM #15
Originally posted by Emon:
Just copy the files manually. They aren't even compressed. Or if they are, rip them with Universal Extractor or another tool that can extract InstallShield CABs.

Yay! I never thought of that!

I'm surprised that they don't require registry entires to run.
2007-07-08, 6:55 PM #16
I've been installing JK like that for a bit as well. As a matter of fact, these days I just keep a copy of it patched with JKE on my server with all of my setups etc. It's a huge time saver.
2007-07-08, 8:53 PM #17
Originally posted by Saber_Ryan1:
I have a few applications already that take advantage of 64-bit... And no, it's not twice as fast, but it's still faster! :D

In all reality, it's probably not faster at all. Like, zero speed increase. Nothing.
2007-07-08, 8:56 PM #18
64bit apps are. I mean, real 64bit apps, not programs recompiled to work natively in 64bit mode.
2007-07-08, 8:59 PM #19
I don't think you know what 64-bit means.
2007-07-08, 9:03 PM #20
Even most 64bit apps run slower at the moment. They have to deal with addressing larger pieces of memory.

In general, the downsides far outweigh the upsides, unless you really need 4GB+ RAM for some reason.
2007-07-08, 9:21 PM #21
Which you know, he probably doesn't.

But more than likely still has anyways, because he's a "power user."
2007-07-08, 9:26 PM #22
I don't get why my Nintendo 64 won't play Final Fantasy. :(
2007-07-09, 2:53 AM #23
Lol, discussion.

I'd suggest using Daemon tools and DOSbox. That's how I play DF on my XP box. Then again, I don't know if there's a verions of either one supported on Vista at this time. :\
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2007-07-09, 3:06 AM #24
DOSBox? For Jedi Knight?
幻術
2007-07-09, 7:52 AM #25
Originally posted by Alan:
Lol, discussion.

I'd suggest using Daemon tools and DOSbox. That's how I play DF on my XP box. Then again, I don't know if there's a verions of either one supported on Vista at this time. :\

Interesting thing about Deamon tools. You have to get 4.0+ to get it to work on 64bit systems. The free version has "optional" Adware, but apparently opting out means simply getting spyware than you can't see. If figured this was the case and installed it anyway, and sure enough, Spyware! It's just about gone. I've still got some left over registry entries, but I don't really feel like finding every single one. Hopefully the program itself won't reinstall them.
2007-07-09, 6:15 PM #26
I don't think you know what 64-bit means.

There's more to it than more addressable memory. There are plenty of apps that see a performance gain with out using the extra memory.

BTW, JK is not letting me use all my different resolutions. It always has before. Is there any way to force it?
2007-07-09, 6:40 PM #27
AMD64/EM64T has a lot of improvements, very few of which have to do with extending the virtual address space. Older x86 processors can use PAE to address up to 64 GB physical memory so the potential RAM increase effectively does not exist yet.
2007-07-09, 7:23 PM #28
BTW, Jon'C, how do you know all this stuff? Do you just read articles or are in in the industry?
2007-07-09, 7:29 PM #29
I want to know how he knows a lot of things.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2007-07-09, 7:39 PM #30
There's more to it than more addressable memory.

Of course, but none of which most people need at the moment.

There are plenty of apps that see a performance gain with out using the extra memory.

None of which are games, operating systems or drivers.
2007-07-09, 7:59 PM #31
None of which are games

Actually, x86-64 has way more registers (16 64-bit integer registers, 16 128-bit xmm registers). Any well-written game should run faster although SSE optimization support isn't in VC 64-bit yet.

AMD64 processors have hypervisor support and hardware exclusion bits so a 64-bit operating system is more secure, assuming the OS supports those features.
2007-07-09, 8:10 PM #32
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Any well-written game should run faster although SSE optimization support isn't in VC 64-bit yet.

I meant stuff that's out now.

Originally posted by Jon`C:
AMD64 processors have hypervisor support and hardware exclusion bits so a 64-bit operating system is more secure, assuming the OS supports those features.

:awesome:
2007-07-09, 8:14 PM #33
There's more to it than more addressable memory. There are plenty of apps that see a performance gain with out using the extra memory.

And most of them are PERCIEVED instead of ACTUAL.

Seriously.

There isn't any real point to 64bit vista or XP at the moment.
2007-07-09, 8:55 PM #34
sure there's a reason.

HE WANTS TO.

Seriously guys, get off his back. This was not about the benefits or lack of benefits of 64 bit over 32 bit. This is about him trying to get his game to work correctly.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2007-07-09, 9:03 PM #35
Originally posted by Rob:

yes there is, but I can count the number of people on this forum who would notice a difference on one hand
2007-07-09, 9:09 PM #36
I meant for the average user.

But tell me, does that hand have any fingers?
2007-07-09, 9:32 PM #37
yes and I even have a finger for you
2007-07-09, 9:44 PM #38
:masterstroke:
2007-07-09, 9:58 PM #39
Originally posted by Rob:
And most of them are PERCIEVED instead of ACTUAL.

Seriously.

No, most of them are actual, but usually are only found in business and image manipulating, which the the average user doesn't use. I'm not an idiot, I'm going off of bench marks.

I didn't say that games would automatically be twice as fast. I said that there are some applications that see performance gains from moving to x64. Stop putting words into my mouth. I was right about what I said. Deal with it.
2007-07-09, 10:01 PM #40
No one said you said that...

↑ Up to the top!