Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → All these stories about people not responding to others in need...
All these stories about people not responding to others in need...
2007-07-08, 10:30 AM #1
...and when this guy does, he gets fired.

Contact form for Village Green...if you disapprove of their actions, feel free to let them know... ;)
woot!
2007-07-08, 10:34 AM #2
Quote:
"Colin demonstrated extremely poor judgment in responding to this situation," the complaint said. "Colin's failure to immediately report this incident ... could have serious ramifications to the property, its associates and residents."

What. The. ****?
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-07-08, 10:46 AM #3
Hmph. Nutwackos.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2007-07-08, 10:49 AM #4
I admire what he did, but his reason for not reporting the incident immediately was "eh"

"He said he could have called his supervisor but didn't think she could do anything at the time"

It sounds like the complex called him into the office for his account the next day once they found out.

The article's skewed though to make it sound like he was fired for saving a woman's life. All he had to do was make a phone call, and he'd probably have kept his job.

I think the shotgun was just another reason, but to me that's not really much of an issue.
2007-07-08, 10:59 AM #5
Originally posted by Demon_Nightmare:
I admire what he did, but his reason for not reporting the incident immediately was "eh"

"He said he could have called his supervisor but didn't think she could do anything at the time"

It sounds like the complex called him into the office for his account the next day once they found out.

The article's skewed though to make it sound like he was fired for saving a woman's life. All he had to do was make a phone call, and he'd probably have kept his job.

I think the shotgun was just another reason, but to me that's not really much of an issue.

So he should've called his supervisor at 3am..? What's his supervisor going to do? He was called in the same day...about seven hours after it happened.
woot!
2007-07-08, 11:03 AM #6
The gist I got was that the shotgun was as much a reason for being fired as for not reporting it immediately.

In fairness to the bloke, I wouldn't think of calling my boss at two in the bloody morning to report something like that, especially as he was 'acting as a citizen' at the time (out of work hours).

Reminds me of Nestlé's staff policies. Beurocratic brown-nosing ****wits.
2007-07-08, 11:43 AM #7
Originally posted by JLee:
So he should've called his supervisor at 3am..? What's his supervisor going to do? He was called in the same day...about seven hours after it happened.

It doesn't matter what his supervisor can do. They have a policy in state about reporting incidents. He was the leasing agent. He did not follow the policy.

It's like no one understands business culture here. You don't decide against a policy because it seems irrelevant to you. You simply do the policy. Some might view that as being a peon - but it comes with the terms. He didn't follow it and got fired.

For instance, it'd be like if I just left my work to do personal stuff and was still being paid. However, while I'm running errands I find out someone's planning to rob our store. I tell the manager. I get fired. Should I not get fired because I did the right thing? No, because I was breaking a policy. They're not firing me because I saved the store.

If you have a job in the real world and something major happens at 2 am on its stie, watch how your company will respond if you don't call your supervisor because you feel 'they can't do anything'.
2007-07-08, 11:48 AM #8
This was on Digg like....a month ago maybe? :hist101:
2007-07-08, 11:54 AM #9
It doesn't matter what his supervisor can do. They have a policy in state about reporting incidents. He was the leasing agent. He did not follow the policy.

It's like no one understands business culture here. You don't decide against a policy because it seems irrelevant to you. You simply do the policy. Some might view that as being a peon - but it comes with the terms. He didn't follow it and got fired.

For instance, it'd be like if I just left my work to do personal stuff and was still being paid. However, while I'm running errands I find out someone's planning to rob our store. I tell the manager. I get fired. Should I not get fired because I did the right thing? No, because I was breaking a policy. They're not firing me because I saved the store.

If you have a job in the real world and something major happens at 2 am on its stie, watch how your company will respond if you don't call your supervisor because you feel 'they can't do anything'.

All I hear is "blah blah blah, I'm a corporate brown nosing *** kisser."
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2007-07-08, 12:01 PM #10

He wasn't on company time. Big difference. If he has to adhere to company policy in his off time in his home & neighborhood, he should be paid 24/7. The fact that he works for the company owning the complex is, in my opinion, irrelevant.

Quote:

So, what if he completely ignored what was happening outside? Would he still have been fired? Somehow I doubt it. Since he did respond, but didn't report it immediately? 'omgleikfirehimwithnowarning' is not, in my mind, appropriate.

But hey, that's just my opinion.
woot!
2007-07-08, 12:03 PM #11
Say what you want, it's the business culture.

If you don't follow the rules, you get fired.

I guess your place of work you can do whatever you feel is right? You're aware of the rules - but you decide when to follow them

:ninja:
2007-07-08, 12:11 PM #12
Originally posted by JLee:
He wasn't on company time. Big difference. If he has to adhere to company policy in his off time in his home & neighborhood, he should be paid 24/7. The fact that he works for the company owning the complex is, in my opinion, irrelevant.

So, what if he completely ignored what was happening outside? Would he still have been fired? Somehow I doubt it. Since he did respond, but didn't report it immediately? 'omgleikfirehimwithnowarning' is not, in my mind, appropriate.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Many companies have policies addressing how whether you're on duty or not, if you're on company property - you have responsibilities. This is why you can be fired for sexual harrasment if you come and visit the work site when you're off duty, and make inappropriate comments.

The article does not disclose the details of the policy though. Is there any connection between his living there with work? (Discounted rent, etc).
2007-07-08, 12:17 PM #13
You're missing the point though. He was doing a good deed that harmed nobody and he got fired. Who gives a damn if there's a policy somewhere saying that he's not allowed to do what he did?

The person who fired him was a slave to his/her job, and a coward. End of story.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2007-07-08, 12:18 PM #14
See, Demon..every example you've given so far involved doing something inappropriate -- personal stuff on business time, sexual harassment, etc -- this guy did nothing wrong, except fail to report the incident immediately. Maybe he was going to report it the same day - he did say he intended on reporting it, no?

One would think that the "business culture" would be proud to have an employee such as him. Apparently not.
woot!
2007-07-08, 12:24 PM #15
Trust me, I get your argument. But being from the other side, I see it's POV as well.

I'm interested to know how liable the company is for what happened though. When they said it could damage them, I'm unsure as to how far it can be taken for their responsibility. I'm assuming that is the essence of their grounds - is that they need to cover their assets of the company, and by failing to let them know - he potentially impacted their response.

Whether that be with the media relations, getting a representative in contact with law enforcement, etc. Though this has hurt media relations as well

:colbert:

[EDIT] Detty, and make sure you're arguing it right. He got fired for 2 violations (though like I said, I think they just included the gun to give it more grounds). The only one that really effects them is the phone call. He was not fired for saving someone's life. But it's a good soundbyte to link them together.
2007-07-08, 12:25 PM #16
He was at home, in the apartment complex he lived in. He also happened to work there, but was not on the clock, he was simply AT HOME. So when he responded, he was, as he said 'doing so as a citizen, not an employee' or whatever... I doubt the incident went unnoticed by whoever WAS working at the time? The police, the ambulance, and whatever general hysteria should have been enough, it wasn't like nobody knew about the incident until later. So all it should have been his duty, off the clock, to 'report', was perhaps his own involvement, which doesn't seem that big a deal, ESPECIALLY considering the quality of his actions. And why exactly should he report that he was involved before he was asked, or before he signed in the next day to work? That wasn't a fact that had any bearing on the events that were taking place, that I can think of.
2007-07-08, 12:32 PM #17
Again, that's assuming there's nothing in his contract stating that. However, it's implied from the article that there WAS something that bound him to report this. Like I've said, we know nothing of what the contract states. Many companies have clauses for actions on-property - onduty or not. Since he happened to live there, they probably addressed that too (if he has responsibilites for any incident).

For instance, was he like an RA? Free rent, yet always on duty (at least where I live that's how they do it)
2007-07-08, 1:34 PM #18

Yeah, maybe you've never seen someone who's been shot or stabbed.

It's kind of hard to collect yourself after something like that.
2007-07-08, 3:43 PM #19
Oh, business culture. Sorry, my bad, I forgot, I'm working proletariat, not the elite. Which is ironic that so many people think of non "business" people as such.

"Oh, you just don't understand because the place you work doesn't understand if you **** up the fries!".

Bottom line is, he didn't call immediately, even the term immediately is a relative term. However, even if there is a company policy in regards to calling immediately, they must have a ****ty HR department (probably none at all, so they must not really be part of the "business culture") to not have required that he be suspended (and not fired) until he was sent to counseling. Sorry, but THAT is business culture. That's a really stupid term by the way.

But I carry a thing that goes bang and drive a Zamboni on the side. What do I know about 'business culture'?

EDIT:Biggest thing is, like Rob said, after you see someone bleeding to death, it's hard to get things straight. It's not like he saw a car accident happen and waited a week to call, he FOUND SOMEONE BLEEDING TO DEATH (by the way, if he put a tourniquiet on, he probably new how to use it-chances are she had an artery hit and was going to die within five minutes, he knew that, it had ot have shaken him up) and for all he knew he was in danger of being shot himself. And then he went home and tried to recovery until the next morning. If I was his manager, I would be glad, there is no way he can give an accurate account when he is still disoriented from a situation like that. But like I said; me grunt, me only have blue collars. grunt grunt.
Epstein didn't kill himself.

↑ Up to the top!