Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My new frosty comp
My new frosty comp
2004-07-21, 6:46 PM #1
Pictures (taken in low-light conditions)

[http://www.missouri.edu/~msc42/compy1.jpg]

[http://www.missouri.edu/~msc42/compy2.jpg]

I was a little worried when I built it because I had an awful hard time getting the CPU fan to clip on. I finally forced it down with a screwdriver, hoping that I hadn't damaged anything. Apparently I haven't.

I'm not overclocking yet, and the highest temp the CPU has gotten to is 38C, after a fragging session in Painkiller. Which leads me to ask: what are normal operating temperatures, and when should I back off on overclocking?

Other thing is that I have an Athlon XP 2800+ Barton, and in the BIOS it shows it clocked at 1250Mhz. Now, I know AMD chips clock slower than Intel chips, but is 1250 Mhz correct for a 2800+? If not, then my mobo is very good for overclocking.

So, to make this thread legitimate and to prevent a move, post your case!

Oh, final note, the case fans weren't my decision, they came with the case. I would've avoided LEDs altogether, but oh well.

[Edit]Notice the one fan on top of the case? Yeah, that's on top rather than inside because the stupid PSU fan was too big. Impacted the case fan. Grrr.

------------------
Our very existence is at stake

Yay! I can finally join the snail-racing crew.

-@%

[This message has been edited by Ric_Olie (edited July 21, 2004).]
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-07-21, 6:48 PM #2
It should be fater than that. My AMD 1.8 is clocked at 1.5. There should be a frequency setting n the BIOS that will let you run it faster.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-21, 6:52 PM #3
thats pretty swank...

------------------
yay for not posting much ever
enjoy.music
yay for not posting much ever
2004-07-21, 6:53 PM #4
I'm able to OC my +2500 to a +3200.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-21, 6:54 PM #5
bnmjgv
2004-07-21, 8:04 PM #6
A 2800+ should be clocked at 2.3-ish. That means your CPU is either NOT running at 2800+, the CPU is unlocked and the multiplier jacked up, or the FSB has been jacked up. I know my dad's 500 MHz AMD XP Mobile runs at 1500+, so I'm not going to say that this is impossible. As far as normal temps--38C is rather cool. Usually they run around 50-60C, you should start worrying around 70C, and I think the chip melts at 90C. The computer should shut down at 80C though, or 85. Something like that. But if you want to overclock, go into the BIOS, chipset settings, and then bump up the processor's FSB MHz by MHz until it becomes unstable (use Prime95 to test stability) and then bump it down to the last FSB it was at.

I believe I covered all the bases.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-21, 8:16 PM #7
Ok, figured it out. Turns out that I didn't properly set the CPU clock setting. Was at 100 mhz, now I have it at the 166 Mhz it should be at. Running at the appropriate 2083 Mhz. I'm not exactly sure how the multiplier works just yet, but I'll figure that out.

It's running at 35C now, though I am in an air-conditioned room, and it is right next to the vent. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-07-21, 8:41 PM #8
KICK IT UP A NOTCH!

Try 180. That's a solid FSB. If it's stable, kick it up...more.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-21, 9:43 PM #9
Anything under 40 degrees is very cool. My 64 2800 runs at about that. It's overclocked to 3000 speeds and is the definition of stable.To give you an comparison, Intel Prescotts run (with standard cooling) at 50-60 degrees under load.

If you're going to overclock, make sure you know where your mobo's reset defaults switch is first. Just read the manual, usually it's a jumper you just have to put in place for 10 seconds or so. Kick it up a notch, see how it runs. If it runs ok, test it a little higher. Go as high as you can (use the reset jumper if it wont startup), then give it one hell of a testing to make sure it's stable.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited July 22, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-22, 7:33 AM #10
Haven't got any experience with athlon's, but your system temp is very good, i'm running a P4 2.8 Ghz (with only standard cooling at the moment mind), and under load after a hard 5 hour gaming session on Theif 3 its at around 50-55C, depending on room temp at the time.

Otherwise its quite happy to sit at 40C most of the time. You should definatly be able to get some more speed out of the system.

and maybe its just me, but I personally don't at all like the look of the LED's in the fans...

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots website
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2004-07-22, 7:54 AM #11
Good god that is an awesome comp!

------------------
Massassi - Muh-Sah-See
2004-07-22, 7:58 AM #12
Love the case [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
Now clean up those wires! Get that air moving! GO GO GO!

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-22, 9:50 AM #13
That kicks ass. Make me one. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

[Since when did massassi stop censoring 'ass'?]

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
"Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man."

Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness

[This message has been edited by DogSRoOL (edited July 22, 2004).]
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-22, 10:13 AM #14
massassi

[This message has been edited by Delphian (edited July 22, 2004).]
2004-07-22, 10:14 AM #15
I don't think the multi on that chip is unlocked, especially if it is a newer one, so you may only be able to play with fsb settings and leave the multi at 12.5. And here is my case. The 120 mm case fans and slk 900a hsf with 92 mm fan keep my heavily overlcocked 2400 mobile's temps under 40 celcius, at all times, I love it.

------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-07-22, 5:38 PM #16
DFI has done a great job with their Genie BIOS system. I can change FSB, AGP Clock Setting, CPU Ratio, CPU Voltage, AGP Voltage, CHIPSET Voltage (I'm guessing this is the Northbridge) and DRAM Voltage. Plus, the Phoenix AwardBIOS is pretty decent.

The LEDs on the case fans weren't really my decision, they came with the case. And I'm not spending ~$30 to replace them all with normal fans.

I'll clean up the cabling when I finish installing all the other parts I need.

------------------

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-07-22, 5:59 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RotM_igotissues:
....my heavily overlcocked 2400 mobile's temps under 40 celcius, at all times, I love it.</font>

Gotta love the mobiles. I have a mobile 2500+ running at 2.4ghz. It idles at 40C and only pops up to 45-47C under load, and that's on an average hsf.

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-07-22, 6:09 PM #18
Which DFI board did you get Ric? If you got the lanparty ultra b, I'm going to need your address, and um, a key to your house. And a time in which it will be empty.

Thanks!

------------------
2004-07-22, 6:12 PM #19
My friend got one of those DFI Lan Party boards. Nice board, but all the LAN stuff is just over the top. He put the big "It's Party Time!" logo on his case window. Bad move, the thing wont come off and and frankly looks pretty damn dorky [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-22, 6:24 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Delphian:
massassi</font>
What's your point?

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
"Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man."

Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-22, 7:42 PM #21
That lan party board paired with a mobile proc and a good stepping would knock my socks off. Best athlon overclocking board available.

------------------
2004-07-22, 9:24 PM #22
Eewww.... you computer is nekkid!!! Quick - someone get a towel before the whole world sees!

j/k. Nice computer. Very swank!

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-07-23, 8:21 AM #23
The only thing I don't like about these cases is that you will see all the dust and will have to clean it a ton if you want it looking pretty all the time.

------------------
2004-07-23, 10:28 AM #24
Nice looking comp, hopefully it's not too hard to keep clean.

Bad pic of my computer:
[http://imagecorner.sorrowind.net/125/7.jpg]

------------------
Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
2004-07-23, 1:18 PM #25
swank and sexy. nice fans.

------------------
What once was...
2004-07-24, 4:07 PM #26
It's not a LAN Party board. It's a NFII Ultra AL. Not top of the line, but the price was right, and it's not bad.

Yeah, nad I found out that the multiplier is indeed locked. I can change it in the BIOS, but it doesn't do anything. I think I'm going to have to get some conductive paint. But other than that, OC is going pretty well. I got it to POST at 200fsb, but Windows wouldn't load. I might need to bump up the CPU voltage a bit. Got it at a conservative 175 fsb right now.

------------------

-@%
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2004-07-24, 5:12 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RotM_igotissues:
That lan party board paired with a mobile proc and a good stepping would knock my socks off. Best athlon overclocking board available.

</font>

I would actually argue that the Abit NF7-S Version 2 is the board best coupled with the mobile chips.

------------------
Pause
"Well I got better..."
Pause
"Well I got better..."

↑ Up to the top!