Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Firefox just got corrupted and destroyed all my Favorites *sigh*
Firefox just got corrupted and destroyed all my Favorites *sigh*
2004-07-25, 4:14 PM #1
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
The file or directory [...]Firefox[...]bookmarks is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.
</font>

This error keeps coming up, with different Firefox files as well.

Windows was *nice enough* to truncate the files in question. When I start Firefox now, I keep getting the above error as well as gazing upon an empty Favorite list and Boomark toolbar. I have reinstalled the program with no luck. Does Firefox keep favorites if you uninstall it completely?

[This message has been edited by KnobZ (edited July 25, 2004).]
2004-07-25, 4:19 PM #2
Favorites are stored in an html file called "bookmarks.html". This file should be located in your profile directory. If you can find this file intact, copy it off and import it.

Also, what version of Firefox are you using?

------------------
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
:wq
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-07-25, 4:22 PM #3
I'm using the latest version, 0.9.2.

Of three bookmarks.html files, all but one are corrupt.

2004-07-25, 4:30 PM #4
I would also like to add that the current bookmarks.html is almost 2 months old.

Even after running scandisk (and having the errors recognized), they keep poppoing up.

EDIT: I will do a fresh Firefox install.
EDIT2: The program is working fine now and I've imported my favorites, minus all the ones I've added and erased in the last 2 months. I guees it's better than nothing :|

2004-07-25, 4:42 PM #5
from my experience, the windows xp scandisk util isn't worth s*** if you have hard drive corruption. It says it fixes it, but it really doesn't, and I have to reinstall. (my video chipset drivers suck, and everytime a game freezes it causes corruption. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-07-25, 5:08 PM #6
Scandisk has ALWAYS been utterly worthless in my expierence. On an older computer I had, I used Scandisk for years and then got Nortons and ran a few tests. According to Nortons, virtually everything Scandisk had said it fixed it hadn't. Thus I was running on a completely corrupted HD. Then the computer died and I had to wipe the HD and start over.

Scandisk is crap.

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-25, 5:35 PM #7
?
I just bought real estate in your mind.
2004-07-25, 5:36 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
from my experience, the windows xp scandisk util isn't worth s*** if you have hard drive corruption. It says it fixes it, but it really doesn't, and I have to reinstall. (my video chipset drivers suck, and everytime a game freezes it causes corruption. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

</font>

nVidia is the sucks for Windows.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!