Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Who's right? The girl or the school?
Who's right? The girl or the school?
2004-07-26, 8:55 AM #1
Personally I think the girl is right.
http://www.durhamregion.com/dr/youth/news/story/1738526p-2009322c.html

It happened a block away from the school! To suspend someone for that is rediculous. Doesn't that mean that according to the school, they are liable of any dangerous/illegal activities within that 1 block radius?
What do you think?

------------------
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-07-26, 8:57 AM #2
The girl's right. The school doesn't have jurisdiction over a public street.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-07-26, 9:01 AM #3
Talk about bull****

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-07-26, 9:02 AM #4
I think the whole situation is idiotic, they suspended her outside of jurisdiction on the word of one witness.
Her word against theres and she loses automatically because she's 'just' a schoolgirl.
"Lets not get carried away"? its far too late for that

------------------
I AM NOT SKOOJ!!!
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-07-26, 9:05 AM #5
The girl is right. Even if the school is within their rights to punish a student for jaywalking outside of school (which I doubt they are) a suspension is completely absurd.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-07-26, 9:07 AM #6
That is rediculous. The Girl is right.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-26, 9:12 AM #7
I got the **** kicked out of me five yards outside of school premesis by a lad in my year who (at the age of 13) was high on solvents. (at 13 I'd never though the need to sniff glue, but hey, whatever floats your boat) It wasn't even a fight, he just hit me many many times and busted up my face nicely. I eventually punched him so hard int he balls he hobbled off. I went to hospital.

The school did sweet F.A.

Then, my next door neighbour (who I didn't really like to be honest) got in a fight in the adjoining village, about half a mile away from school. He got expelled.

Now I don't like the guy much, but what's all that about?! The lad who brayed my got picked up for ABH for what he did to me, from what I know, the kid in the other fight didn't press charges, yet one get's expelled, the other a "we can't get involved as the incident did not take place on school property. Wankers.

As for the article. What a pile of ****e. To be honest I fail to see why Jaywalking is even a crime/misdemeanour. Surley it's just crossing a road? For the school to not even issue a warning to an otherwise good pupil. It's not even like they're making an example of her for something like being caught with drugs for the first time! It's silly.

/Rant

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-07-26, 9:20 AM #8
Although it is rediculous, the school has every right to do that AFAIK.
It is an insurance-case. The schools insurance pays for every school-related accident that happens to a student. It does not matter how far away from school it happens, it matters that she was on her way from school home.
It is in the school's decision how they see to it that nothing happens to the children on their way home (although they [irony]slightly[/irony] overreacted in this case).

------------------
Sorry for the lousy English
Sorry for the lousy German
2004-07-26, 9:38 AM #9
As long as it was during school hours and/or she was technically under the supervision of the school they have every right to punish her for her actions, whether they be on or off campus. However, from reading the article it sounds to me like she was walking home or something after school... meaning they've let her lose from their supervision therefore forfeiting any jurisdiction to regulate her actions.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-07-26, 9:49 AM #10
Laws on street are maintained by law enforcement officials. There's something called boundries of jurisdiction. After school hours (especially), school administrators do not have the right to punish students once they leave the property. They can, however, punish minors if they leave the property during school hours without permission and do some activity against the law or school rules. None of this give them the right to punish the girl for jaywalking.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
"Massassi's cuttin' into my free time, man."

Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-26, 9:53 AM #11
The girl is right.

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan

[This message has been edited by FastGamerr (edited July 26, 2004).]
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-07-26, 10:11 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FastGamerr:
The girl is right.</font>

------------------
Wise men say that fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so look before you leap, so to speak, because the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-07-26, 10:32 AM #13
In the US, private schools can punish someone for offenses outisde of school hours and off the school property (happened to someone in my class when I was in high school), but a public school can't.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-07-26, 10:44 AM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
Talk about bull****

</font>

------------------
Kill Your Idols!
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-07-26, 11:07 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
In the US, private schools can punish someone for offenses outisde of school hours and off the school property (happened to someone in my class when I was in high school), but a public school can't.

</font>

Not legally. If they are off the school property after school hours, they are out of a schools 'jurisdiction.' It's kind of like how city police have no jurisdiction outside of the city limits.

------------------
For a healty meal, eat mashed potatoes, peas, and catloaf.
cuttin' into my free time, man."

Valuable Life Lesson: Frog + Potato Gun = Blindness
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2004-07-26, 11:25 AM #16
Ok im guessing the girl is right by what everyones saying but what the heck is jaywalking?

------------------
www.oxyonagon.com
nope.
2004-07-26, 11:34 AM #17
What a heap of monkey diharrea.

[edit: monkey diarrhea. No good making know-better comments if you can't spell, eh?]

------------------
No signature for you.

[This message has been edited by Gandalv the Gray (edited July 26, 2004).]
No signature for you.
2004-07-26, 11:38 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Boco:
Ok im guessing the girl is right by what everyones saying but what the heck is jaywalking?

</font>

Walking where it is illegal to do so. Crossing the street through traffic, away from a crosswalk or a controlled intersection, et cetera. Jaywalkers are retarded and should not be allowed to live. I believe committing vehicular homicide on jaywalkers is only considered manslaughter rather than murder, but I think that's still too high of a punishment for doing God's work.
2004-07-26, 11:41 AM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Boco:
what the heck is jaywalking?

</font>

jaywalking is where you cross the street, but you dont happin to be at the corner of an intersection.

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-07-26, 11:43 AM #20
Hey, this kind of thing happens. I was on my way home one day, just a picking away at my nose, flicking boogers everywhere. Damn teacher saw me, confinscated my boogers, and expelled me for a day. You know, being expelled for a day is hard, especially when you're such a good kid like me. I think I should fight it, and call the news. Nah, they wouldn't care, but hey, a crappy news website jumps at the chance to write an article on something so obviously stupid. Wow, I think we should fight it. Damn system, and how much they don't make sense. I might not even be able to have kids now.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-26, 11:44 AM #21
Ok, I must reconsider the statement I made in the post above. I think the school is right. Of course the school is allowed to take all the measures it needs to make sure their students grow up to be honorable and just citizens. To set an example, I believe that capital punishment is in order.

------------------
No signature for you.
No signature for you.
2004-07-26, 12:24 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
Not legally. If they are off the school property after school hours, they are out of a schools 'jurisdiction.' It's kind of like how city police have no jurisdiction outside of the city limits.</font>

Actually, Avenger is correct. By attending a private school, you implicitly agree to any rules the school has. They can do this because if you don't want to follow all of their rules, you have the option of attending a public school for free. For example, the student handbook from the Christian high school I went to contains the following statement:

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When students participate in unwholesome activities, regardless of when or where this may take place, the school may take some disciplinary action. This applies to conduct taking place outside the school's jurisdiction which nonetheless suggests the studend may not be a desirable member of the school community or which reflects adversely on the school's reputation.</font>

Now, I don't think that a private school should do things like this, but they do have the legal right to.

Anyway, this is somewhat beside the point. I would assume from references in the article to the the Durham District School Board that Anderson Collegiate is not a private school.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-07-26, 12:30 PM #23
Were it a private school, the girl would have been tortured and beat, and would have never told her mother about the situation. Uh oh, the blue suit coats are comming, damnit, someone, quick, help me, no wait, heeeeeelp!

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-07-26, 12:55 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
Jaywalkers are retarded and should not be allowed to live. I believe committing vehicular homicide on jaywalkers is only considered manslaughter rather than murder, but I think that's still too high of a punishment for doing God's work.</font>

I take offense to that. As I see it, it is ok to jaywalk as long as you look both ways and make sure both ways are completely clear. I had to jaywalk to school all the time where I live because of the lack of a proper cross walk. The reason I HAD to jaywalk there because it would take me an additionly 15 minutes just to go around the safe way to get to that one bus stop that I usually jaywalk to. Recently, however, a crosswalk and stop light has been placed at the bus stop because of the amount of jaywalking that occured there so I no longer have to jaywalk anymore.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-07-26, 1:12 PM #25
Quote:
Not legally. If they are off the school property after school hours, they are out of a schools 'jurisdiction.' It's kind of like how city police have no jurisdiction outside of the city limits.

</font>

Private schools can do whatever they want since the parents and students sign some sort of conduct contract. They don't have to keep you. At my school, someone got into a fight with another student at a bus stop 15 miles from the school, but he was still expelled because the school didn't want to be represented by that kind of student.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-07-26, 1:34 PM #26
Quote:

</font>

Actually no, they can. Being a private school they have the right to sort of "deny service" to anyone. A couple of kids at my school have been suspended for a week or so when one of the teachers saw them street racing.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!