Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Half-Life
Half-Life
2004-07-24, 5:25 PM #1
So I was in our Target today, which is be reconstructed into a "Super Target" I think. Anyway, after 15 some odd minutes of searching, I managed to find the software section again and started browsing games. As usual, nothing really there that I wanted, then I noticed Max Payne. I considered getting that, then I noticed the Half-Life Platinum Pack. I opted for that instead seeing as how I've never played Half-Life and considering all the raves about it.

I'm very sorry I didn't get it sooner. I've installed everything (it comes with Half-Life, Team Fortress Classic, Opposing Force, Counter-Strike, and Blue Shift) but haven't even LOOKED at anything other than Half-Life. I literally spent the last 2 and a half hours glued to my seat playing. No game has done that to me since I bought Deus Ex two years ago. I'm in love with it.

I like it. It drew me completely in, I'll have to admit being quite scared so far in places. And then there are the times when you see some poor guy being consumed by the aliens and you can't freaking break into the room he's in to help him...

So yeah, awesome game. Anyone want to give me a very general idea of what to expect out of the others?

------------------
Put me in the hospital for nerves and then they had to commit me,
You told them all I was crazy,
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, God damn you.
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2004-07-24, 5:36 PM #2
Half-Life will be the best single player experience while Counterstrike will be the best multiplayer experience of the series. Opposing Force and Blue Shift are extensions of the story; they are decent but are basically inferior to the parent game. I never liked TFC for some reason. . . .

------------------
Multiplayer Game Alias: II88BlackOps
UT2k4 is awesome!
Corrupted Paths, my dead WIP for JA. Screens here: http://imagebase.freewebspace.com/photo.html

My quote: "People choose to side with the left, and the others choose to side with the right. I go forward."
2004-07-24, 5:56 PM #3
Yeah, Half-Life is a pretty good SP game, although it falls apart a tad when you get to Xen. The ending more than makes up for that part though. Opposing Force is a pretty good expansion pack and it seems even more challenging than the original although the ending is a bit of a let down. I haven't played Blue shirt so I can't comment on that. I heard Blue shirt is quite short though - you could complete it in like two hours. I'm pretty sure Counter-Strike in that pack is pretty outdated so you probably have to download a whole patch through steam to play it. CS is an ok mod but the community if crap so be aware of a lot of whiners and lamers before you go off to play that. I highly suggest you check out some other Half-Life mods such as DoD and NS while your at it as well. As for TFC, that game looks really ugly but it plays fair. Not really horrible but not super either.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-07-24, 5:58 PM #4
You should download Day of Defeat, it's even better.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-07-24, 6:34 PM #5
How big are some of these mods, and can I get some links for them?

Now for a problem I hope you guys might be able to solve. Once I start up a game, and hit escape to access the menu, I get nothing. Just a black screen. I've found that hitting escape again, of course, send me back to the game. Q asks me if I want to quit, and S brings up the save dialouge. That's really the important stuff I guess, but it'd be nice to be able to actually SEE the menu.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2004-07-24, 6:46 PM #6
You're going to want to get Steam eventually if you already haven't, (Finish SP first, Steam has REALLY bad SP support) 'coz WON multiplay is going to be obsolete soon. (If it already isn't)

------------------
Moo.
Moo.
2004-07-24, 7:08 PM #7
You'll be drooling alot once you get to the silo (you'll see what I mean!). But after that, it starts to get boring, seeing as the story -never- evolves.

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-24, 7:58 PM #8
You can always use the console. I love the console, the Steam console more than the WON console. But yeah, they're pretty big, so if you're not on broadband, you may as well forget it.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-25, 2:56 AM #9
You'll have a lot of downloading to do if you want to play MP [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif].

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-07-25, 3:13 AM #10
HL = Good
HL - Xen = Very Good

Oh and after you finish HL, OPFOR, etc -> download They Hunger 1, 2 and 3 by Neil Manke. User created SP doesn't get any better.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-25, 5:22 AM #11
Why does Xen get such a bad rap? True, I hated the jumping puzzles, but other than that, it looked trippy and cool. The first xen level was really beautiful and surreal, IMO.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-07-25, 4:54 PM #12
Ok. I'm stuck. I've made it to the Lambda Reactor Complex thingie and started up the reactor... I think... I'm pretty sure I did. I'm finding it harder to keep track of some of what I do because I don't have an objectives type thing or a map. Anyways. I'm now standing outside some tall spinning thing with lots of teleporters. I've been in and out of most of them (again, trying to keep track of where I've been is hard) and I seem to be getting nowhere. I have zero idea what I'm supposed to be doing/looking for/going to.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and where I'm at? Or should I post a screen for reference? Some help here would be nice.

Jaiph: Can I get some links to those please?
JkWhoSaysNi: Seeing as how I very much dislike internet gaming right now, I'm probably going to look into putting the multiplayer games on the other computer in the house and then just do LANs.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!

[This message has been edited by phoenix_9286 (edited July 25, 2004).]
Last Stand
2004-07-25, 6:25 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Jaiph: Can I get some links to those please?
</font>

http://www.planethalflife.com/manke/

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-25, 6:29 PM #14
Download Natural Selection

------------------
"The quality of the levels you make is determined by the skill of the person not by the editor in which they use!"
-Michael Kyle

MAK Studios 3D
2004-07-25, 7:03 PM #15
http://www.dayofdefeat.com
Yesssss..yess... come to the light side of the force

------------------
Member of the Minnessassian Council
2004-07-26, 4:52 AM #16
Half-Life's MP modes are great (especially CS) but I always seem to get motion sick when I play the real game. It doesn't usually happen, so I'll try to slog through it later.

------------------
You could no more evade my wrath than you could your own shadow.
2004-07-26, 6:10 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Ok. I'm stuck. I've made it to the Lambda Reactor Complex thingie and started up the reactor... I think... I'm pretty sure I did. I'm finding it harder to keep track of some of what I do because I don't have an objectives type thing or a map. Anyways. I'm now standing outside some tall spinning thing with lots of teleporters. I've been in and out of most of them (again, trying to keep track of where I've been is hard) and I seem to be getting nowhere. I have zero idea what I'm supposed to be doing/looking for/going to.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and where I'm at? Or should I post a screen for reference? Some help here would be nice.

</font>

iirc, you have to go through the teleporters in the correct order. You're actually quite close to the end (If you're where i think you are..) I think they were numbered too, which made it easy to remember where you'd already tried. The idea was to make it to the top then when you got there you got to a similar place with moving spinny block thingys. The game kinda goes downhill from there though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!
----@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-07-26, 6:38 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:

iirc, you have to go through the teleporters in the correct order. You're actually quite close to the end (If you're where i think you are..) I think they were numbered too, which made it easy to remember where you'd already tried. The idea was to make it to the top then when you got there you got to a similar place with moving spinny block thingys. The game kinda goes downhill from there though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

</font>

I ****Hated**** that puzzle. It made little to no sense and seemed to be there only for the player to jump through extra hoops.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-07-26, 7:33 AM #19
I never played HL Single Player.

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-07-26, 8:02 AM #20
I reinstalled Half-Life just last week, so many good memories. I suggest you play Blue Shift after you finish up Half-Life, it's a lot shorter than Opposing Force, and it ends about half way through the Half-Life storyline, where as Opposing Force begins half way through the storyline.

------------------
"I'm praying for mayhem, I'm praying for tidal waves, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna watch it all go down..."
"I'm praying for mayhem, I'm praying for tidal waves, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna watch it all go down..."
2004-07-26, 11:46 AM #21
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I haven't played Blue shirt so I can't comment on that.</font>

UNINTENDED JOKE OF THE DAY!!

------------------
No signature for you.
No signature for you.
2004-07-26, 3:37 PM #22
I actually got past the teleporter part. After a load of trying, I gave up and noclipped to the right place. From what I read, that one thing right there, is considered by many to be the lamest part of the entire game. Now I'm just stuck in some lame part of Xen trying to figure out where the heck I need to go.

I started on Opposing Force today for kicks really. I must say I've found it just as addicting so far.

I'll probably head back into Half-Life later tonight and try to finish the game. I'm probably only an hour or two away from the end.

------------------
============
Frogblast the Vent-Core!
Last Stand

↑ Up to the top!