Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Democratic National Convention
Democratic National Convention
2004-07-26, 5:53 PM #1
Carter was pretty bad, Gore was alright, Clinton was fantastic. You know things are going well when all 4 news advisors on Fox News agree that Clinton's speech was extraordinary, much due to the fact that the monotone Bush-bashing has finally been replaced by some positive thinking.

On the other hand, Carter's speech was horrendous. He talked like a lame mule (pardon me, but that is the only way to really describe it) and his word usage was extreme (calling Republicans radical and extremists). I think they should have just dropped Carter from the program altogether.

Which poses the question: why do Democrats feel the need to use the Bush-is-teh-Dev1l approach if they can do so much better? Apparently, Clinton needs to teach Kerry a thing or two about effective speech making.
2004-07-26, 5:58 PM #2
I forced myself to watch part of it. I watched through Gore's speech, and turned it off in disgust. He is still upset about his loss in '01. He dwelled on that too much.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-26, 6:00 PM #3
Both Clinton and Edwards have learned that making negative speeches endear themselves to no one that doesn't already support them. Kerry hasn't.

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-07-26, 6:09 PM #4
Well the campaigning we've seen to date has been Democrats energizing their "Anyone but Bush" base. They have to change the tone or risk alienating themselves from potential voters.

I found it funny that Carter talked about America's victory in the Cold War since that is most attributable to changes that occured in America after he was defeated.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-26, 6:23 PM #5
You mean people watch the Democratic National Convention?

Seriously, I'm a huge political junkie, and I don't think I could bring myself to sit through that. From what I can tell, these conventions have more to do with self-congratulation than actual politics.

Edit: Although, come to think of it, the two may have more in common than I originally thought.

------------------
"Why aren't I'm using at these pictures?" - Cloud, 4/14/02

[This message has been edited by Michael MacFarlane (edited July 26, 2004).]
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2004-07-27, 2:47 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by finity5:
I forced myself to watch part of it. I watched through Gore's speech, and turned it off in disgust. He is still upset about his loss in '01. He dwelled on that too much.
</font>

He didn't lose.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-27, 5:16 AM #7
Maybe not in '01 but he certainly did in 2000. You see, that's why he isn't President. I can understand some bitterness. Afterall he did receive more popular votes and the whole thing would have been a moot point if he could have carried his homestate.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-27, 5:51 AM #8
Oh I can see where this is going..

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-27, 5:56 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
He didn't lose.</font>

Spare me.
2004-07-27, 5:56 AM #10
Although I did not agree with most of what clinton said, his speech and the way he presented it was excellent.

------------------
I have found that you can transform your character solely by the power of belief: as you believe yourself to be, so you shall become over time.
2004-07-27, 7:14 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gandalf1120:
Oh I can see where this is going..

</font>

2004-07-27, 7:24 AM #12
Ok, it is time for the ridiculous debate committee to sit down and pick sides on the retarded issue at hand. Shall we use the same team players as the 'chick' debate or shall we reset the side?

------------------
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
"She turned me into a newt!"
Pause
"Well I got better..."
2004-07-27, 7:33 AM #13
I think we should put everyone's names into a big hat, and just draw names for each side at random. Should make the debate even funnier.
2004-07-27, 7:38 AM #14
Well, to get back to the topic at hand, I didn't watch any of the speeches all the way through. I caught a smidgeon of Gore, I thought it was funny when he said he was the first one laid off. Watched abit of Carter. Don't really have anything good to say about his speach. Clinton as usual did a good job. He's very charismatic. The substance of his speach was crap, in my opinion, but he's preaching to the choir and the weak minded anyway (I don't mean that derrogatorilly, weak minded in respect to those that will simply believe whatever they hear without applying any thought process of their own to it).

On a side note I was watching Fox News, O'Reily at the time, and he was interviewing Joan Jett. I'm always curious to hear celebrities views because more often than not I disagree with them. I thought she was great. She's a Democrat and a liberal and manages to carry on a conversation without being insulting to people that may hold different views. She's intelligent and is considerate enough to not insult those in her fanbase that might disagree with her views. In the end that serves to benefit her more professionally and financially. I don't understand why so many celebrities don't get that.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...

↑ Up to the top!