Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Barack Obama for President
Barack Obama for President
2004-07-28, 9:35 AM #1
The most awesome politician ever. He's brilliant and vibes integrity like an integrity-vibing machine. He gave the keynote address at the DNC last night. You should watch it, because it is one of the most inspiring speeches I've ever heard. The crowd gave him a two-minute standing ovation.

So, post links to public addresses that have changed your life or beliefs.

On a slightly related note, you can get a spy- and adware free Real Player here.
2004-07-28, 9:43 AM #2
If it's Real Alternative, I second that, it's fantastic. And it looks like the old style Media Player, total win!
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-28, 10:07 AM #3
yeah i was listening about him on the Daily Show -_-

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2004-07-28, 3:41 PM #4
Wonderful speaker. It's amazing how the media destroys the best speakers with terrible 30 second sound bites.

------------------
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
2004-07-28, 4:59 PM #5
He did an excellent job with his speach.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-28, 5:29 PM #6
Indeed, his speach was great.

He wasn't even halfway through and the crowd went crazy and started cheering "OBAMA! OBAMA!"

------------------
WAITER: Here’s your green salad, sir.
ANAKIN: What? You fool, I told you NO CROUTONS! Aaaaaaargh!

[This message has been edited by Flexor (edited July 28, 2004).]
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-07-28, 5:40 PM #7
I like the guy who is in charge of the DNC. I don't know his name, but he seems like the most level headed politician there is, liberal or conservative.

------------------
Kieran: The reason I put a link to it is because she is in underwear and I know the admins are touchy on that.
Yecti: Jaiph will touch himself for hours if he so much as smells a woman's underwear
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-07-28, 6:44 PM #8
He talked a lot, but didn't say much. Of course do you know a politician who doesn't? First he kept talking about issues that had been solved in the 70's and 80's. Then he told us why we need to vote for Kerry, but instead of talking issues he just said the we need to vote for Kerry because we want better education, health care, blah blah blah. Than he ragged on the war which Kerry had voted for, for a while. He did make it sound like people were forced to fight that war. It's a volunteer army for crying out loud. Then he made it seem like we accomplished nothing in Iraq. Then he said that Kerry wanted to fund the military better even though he's voted against military funding every time the issues come up in the senate. Then he did more rallying. I did agree that parents need to be more involved in their kids education, and some other things that I forgot. To be honest it mostly bored me. Political pep rallies usually do. Especially since their all self congratulatory and no talking about issues at all. Well, that and throwing insults at the other side. It the 21’st century and all the politicians are whining at each other like a bunch of babies. At least this guy wasn’t whining at the other side.
2004-07-28, 7:53 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
Indeed, his speach was great.

He wasn't even halfway through and the crowd went crazy and started cheering "OBAMA! OBAMA!"
</font>

Well, for Democrats that's so close to "OSAMA! OSAMA!" that I'm sure it would just roll of the tongue [insert boos and hissing here]. Just to be clear, that was a joke. I did notice at least a couple people on the news having to correct themselves for accidently calling him that though.

------------------
Have you forgotten ...
"I would rather claim to be an uneducated man than be mal-educated and claim to be otherwise." - Wookie 03:16

2004-07-28, 8:03 PM #10
[thinking]Just don't post. Leave the thread. It's political. Most massassians don't share your views. You'll end up flaming someone. Just click the back button. Just do it. Don't post. Leave. [/thinking]

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-28, 8:05 PM #11
Just say it man.

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-07-28, 8:10 PM #12
Not a bad speech, but he didn't say much. Continually talking about Kerry the war hero gets a little old too. It would be nice to know more specifics about what he stood for.

------------------
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2004-07-28, 8:12 PM #13
Wookie: It is funny how you never hear Republicans say Osama any more. What happened to that whole War on Terror thing, anyway? How did
"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
turn into
"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
in six short months?

The name thing actually evened out in the current US Senate race in Illinois. His former opponent, Jack Ryan (7 of 9's ex-husband), shares the same last name as our previous scandalizing governor, who was renowned as a 'spend and spend' Republican.

Malus: His website is instructive. Here.

[This message has been edited by Ictus (edited July 28, 2004).]
2004-07-28, 8:23 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ictus:
Wookie: It is funny how you never hear Republicans say Osama any more. What happened to that whole War on Terror thing, anyway?</font>

I think it's a double edged sword. If they talk about it too much they'll be criticized for drum beating and scaring people. If they don't talk about it at all people will think it's over. I just look at the fact that we still have continuous military operations ongoing. Iraq sucked but I really wouldn't want to be in Afghanistan. Those guys are really earning their pay out there (just an expression and not an implication that soldiers elsewhere aren't).

------------------
Have you forgotten ...

2004-07-28, 8:39 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill:
[thinking]Just don't post. Leave the thread. It's political. Most massassians don't share your views. You'll end up flaming someone. Just click the back button. Just do it. Don't post. Leave. [/thinking]</font>

Same thing went through my mind [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-28, 10:44 PM #16
I listened to the speech on the radio, whilst stuck on the damn I-15 for an hour (you Californians know what it's like).

Like some have mentioned, he didn't have much substance to his speech. In fact, most of what he did was "crowd-pleasing" and very shallow. It's very easy to go up and tell everyone what they want to hear. You know, those lines that get everyone motivated to yell and clap, but are either redudant or superfluous, aimed only at making the crowd feel "inspired", "proud", or "awed". It lacked any real meaning.

However, considering where the speech was given, his aim was not to change opinions, acquire votes, or even give information, but to get people into a frenzy. In that repect, the speech was well done. It managed to get all the Democratic liberals on this board excited, which is probably a good representation of the rest of the nation.

------------------
Empty.
2004-07-28, 10:56 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kieran Horn:
I like the guy who is in charge of the DNC. I don't know his name, but he seems like the most level headed politician there is, liberal or conservative.

</font>

. . .

Anyway, I like him (Obama, not McAuliffe...)
as well. The fact that he's a black politician who's successful not because he's black, but because he's an appealing candidate, is very cool. On a national level, it is also somewhat rare in the Democratic party.

Was I the only one who noticed when Al Sharpton's stupid *** called him Obama Baracka[sic] in his rant? I loled

Also when Jesse Jackson's son said he was the first black US Senator, despite the fact that he A) has yet to be elected, and B) will not be the first when he is. The DNC needs more Obama and less Jackson/Sharpton.

[This message has been edited by Sine Nomen (edited July 29, 2004).]
A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

art
2004-07-29, 5:44 AM #18
Well, at least he didn't say Obama bin Baraka! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Have you forgotten ...

2004-07-29, 6:01 AM #19
He might as well go bomb some barracks.*looks around*

------------------
Massassi - Muh-Sah-See
2004-07-29, 7:46 AM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ictus:
Malus: His website is instructive. Here.</font>

Ah, thank you. Seems just like every other politician. . . unless he actually fulfils his promises.

------------------
2004-07-29, 7:51 AM #21
What I like so far about the DNC is it doesn't have a "Republicans suck" feel to it. It's more of a "Democrats rule" type thing. Which I like. If politicians would stop pointing out how bad their opponents are for two seconds, maybe they could point out some of their own attributes. The Democrats, I think, are doing a great job of this. Not to mention Clinton and Obama were awesome.

------------------
I figure that one day I'll either be famous, or in prison. But I guess if I'm going to prison, I should probably try to do something that would make me famous anyway.
>>untie shoes
2004-07-29, 7:57 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sine Nomen:
. . .

The DNC needs more Obama and less Jackson/Sharpton.

[This message has been edited by Sine Nomen (edited July 29, 2004).]
</font>

Glad to see you back Sine [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Artur Davis is also another very successful black politican because he is good.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

↑ Up to the top!