Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Galaxies Rant
Galaxies Rant
2004-07-26, 7:39 AM #1
Well, I purchased Star Wars Galaxies the Day it came out. It was put away in a closet somewhere. Recently, they came out with a Galaxies Free Trial. I dowloaded it and played it for its 14 days. It was the best game I have EVER played. Well, then I took out the version I bought and put in the CD Key to subscribe, only AFTER did I find out that you have to buy at least a month of Galaxies to use the free month they give you! What kind of crap is that? Sure the game is awsome, but I want to play it for a month, because I don't know how appealing it will be in a month! /rant

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-07-26, 7:43 AM #2
People still play that game?

------------------
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room.
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com

"I have no clue why people trust statistics like that. 99% of the time they are made up." - Raoul Duke
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-07-26, 7:45 AM #3
You don't have to "buy" a month. Well, you do, but you can always play for your free month, then cancel, and you'll never be charged.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-07-26, 7:49 AM #4
Like freelancer said just "pay" for one month and then cancel. You wont be charged. Also, if you create another character JOIN SCYLLA!!! I need somebody to play with [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
[url="http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2004-07-09
What"]http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/?t=archives&date=2004-07-09
What[/url] I would do for a beta invite...only in a less extreme way not involving the skull and the *Hem hem*
Currently on the hunt for sajn.
2004-07-26, 7:56 AM #5
Although I do realise the need for monthly subscriptions in games like that, I will probably never, ever, subscribe to such a thing.
No game could be involving enough for me to want to pay to play it every month.
Once I buy a game I expect that to be that, I want to be able to play it for a while, then come back any time later on and play it again.
Games you have to subscribe for you can't just play as a spur of the moment thing, you have to pay for a whole month.
Screw that, screw that right off

------------------
I AM NOT SKOOJ!!!
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-07-26, 7:58 AM #6
I don't have a problem with paying a monthly fee as long as they provide new content worthy of it.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-07-26, 8:10 AM #7
Unfortunately, few, if any, do that.
2004-07-26, 8:21 AM #8
MMORPGs provide a unique gaming experience, which in City of Heroes and (especially) Asheron's Call I am yet to find anywhere else. If that experience costs a small fee, well then so be it, here's my credit card number.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-26, 9:24 AM #9
Hopefully Guild Wars and the other free decent looking MMORPG's in development will start a new trend. I absolutely love DAoC, but money has been tight lately and I was forced to cancel my account. Right before the Frontiers expansion too. :/

------------------
www.MentatMM.com (status = down :/)
Napalm Death Squad (status = alpha)
2004-07-26, 9:27 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:
Hopefully Guild Wars and the other free decent looking MMORPG's in development will start a new trend.</font>

Guild Wars should be interesting. I will probably look into it, since there is no monthly fee.

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-26, 11:46 AM #11
I've been playing SWG Trial for almost two weeks now (it expires on Tuesday) and I have to say that I'm bored out of my mind. I don't even play the game anymore because it is so repetitive and uninteresting. I can't see how I would want to pay 15 bucks a month for such a boring game.

-- SavageX

------------------
"...and if you don't like that, then you need to be slugged in the face repeatedly, until my hands are soaked in blood. Have a nice day!"
http://geocities.com/savagex378
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2004-07-26, 12:00 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:
I've been playing SWG Trial for almost two weeks now (it expires on Tuesday) and I have to say that I'm bored out of my mind. I don't even play the game anymore because it is so repetitive and uninteresting. I can't see how I would want to pay 15 bucks a month for such a boring game.

-- SavageX
</font>

I heard it got repetative and boring, but that just sounds horrible [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-26, 12:58 PM #13
I downloaded the trial, got boring and repetetive after 2 days so i uninstalled it, they aint gettin my £8 a month, and can someone tell me when coh comes out in the uk, ive been wanting to get that for like a year now

------------------
www.oxyonagon.com
nope.
2004-07-26, 1:23 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SavageX378:

-- SavageX
</font>

Yup, I tried and tried and tried to like that game, but honestly the developers are so clueless as to how to make it enjoyable that I didn't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1, 2 & 3 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-07-26, 2:06 PM #15
Well, turns out, I don't have to subscribe for another month, they gave me my 30 days.

------------------

"Bantha's are filthy animals.......I don't eat filthy animals."

"Laugh it up Fuzzball!"
-Han Solo
2004-07-26, 5:35 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
MMORPGs provide a unique gaming experience, which in City of Heroes and (especially) Asheron's Call I am yet to find anywhere else. If that experience costs a small fee, well then so be it, here's my credit card number.</font>

I miss Asheron's Call. Good times, good times [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif].

------------------
To think that once I could not see beyond the veil of reality, to see those who dwell behind. I was once a fool.
2004-07-26, 10:18 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spork:
MMORPGs provide a unique gaming experience, which in City of Heroes and (especially) Asheron's Call I am yet to find anywhere else. If that experience costs a small fee, well then so be it, here's my credit card number.

</font>

How much is City of Heroes a month anyways?

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-07-27, 3:27 AM #18
$15 i think so roughly £8

------------------
www.oxyonagon.com
nope.
2004-07-27, 3:42 AM #19
You really shouldn't try to compare subscription-based MMORPGs with free MMORPGs. There's no comparison. The former will always have the ability to do things that the latter cannot. Retail sales alone will not pay for server costs, unless they display adverts on characters foreheads or something.

I tried the SWG trial.

I met some crazy roleplaying woman that I thought was an NPC and I kept thinking "Wow, this AI is good.". I don't think I've seen any other game with such a serious roleplaying base. I found it hilarious.

I played a medic but I was terribly confused as to how I was supposed to use my skills. I was probably doing something wrong, but it looked like I needed some 'organic' and 'inorganic' ingredients and something else and I was confused.

The tutorial thing at the start was nice, but it should have been more class-specific.

The character creation is fantastic. EQ2 will beat it, but it was still very impressive. I had a lot of fun with that alone.

I played a sharpshooter or whatever it's called, the one with the guns, that was a lot less confusing, but didn't seem very appealing to play for a long time.

I was totally impressed with the ability to make a camp. I wanted to do that but I couldn't work out how.

But generally, the thing didn't seem to have much long-term appeal. It might just be the remaining evercrack in my veins, but I tend to prefer "fantasy" RPGs using 'magic' and spells and things. I expect Flirbnic to disagree with this, but I find those games aren't limited to trying to be 'realistic' or whatever, they can just focus on being fun.

On an unrelated note, how do you pronounce "MMORPG"?
'morg'?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
The Triumph of Stupidity in Mortals and Others 1931-1935
2004-07-27, 5:52 AM #20
Em Em Oh Ar Pee Gee. Or basically, just don't say it out loud. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-07-27, 5:52 AM #21
I'm always tempted to say "more-peg" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

But I usually pronounce it "Em Em Oh Ar Pee Gee."

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-07-27, 6:38 AM #22
Ya... I played SWG for a couple months. After about a week it's just... 14 year olds running around killing everything in sight *****ing about how they arent jedis yet.

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-07-27, 7:41 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Boco:
$15 i think so roughly £8</font>

Yup. First month free.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mort-Hog:
I was totally impressed with the ability to make a camp. I wanted to do that but I couldn't work out how.</font>

Being a Ranger and able to build seriously massive camps kept me in that game for... Far too long. Seriously, that was the only good thing about it.

Oh, and CoH has by far the most entertaining character creation ever.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-29, 5:37 AM #24
You can make camps in WoW but apparently it can do damage to you, if you go too close to the fire or something. There was a phase where people would go around and build camps underneath AFK players and kill them.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. " - Bertrand Russell
2004-07-29, 6:30 AM #25
That's hilarious.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-29, 7:25 AM #26
Sounds like teleport friend in CoH... Although teleporting people into trees is kinda fun.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-29, 7:38 AM #27
Yeah, until the next publish, you've got griefers hovering hundreds of feet in the air, and they'll teleport you up to them. Those unfortunate players who can't fly then are left with one hitpoint when they hit the ground (you can't actually die from falling damage). However, the smart ones will do it right above some particular nasty enemies who will obviously shred you with only 1 hp left. I can't believe it's going to be until September until this issue is addressed. Being teleported without my consent is something I've always thought was horrendously stupid in that game.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-07-29, 7:45 AM #28
Yeah. They're giving rez a consent too, which is a good thing. A few times I've been left with double-debt after being rezzed when a TP then rez would've been much more desirable.

Next patch is looking good, though. Capes [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-29, 8:41 AM #29
...I need to start playing CoH again, but by this time all the cool kids are like level 800 and I'll still be level 10...

------------------
free mp3 ~Jump - Young America

new album Between the Dim and the Dark available now
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-07-29, 1:40 PM #30
Sow do you pronounce mmorpg??
Strange question... how do you pronounce rpg? or fps?
You just say the letters, or at least, thats what most of the world does...

------------------
I AM NOT SKOOJ!!!
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2004-07-29, 5:34 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
...I need to start playing CoH again, but by this time all the cool kids are like level 800 and I'll still be level 10...</font>

Actually, I just made a new blaster yesterday [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Tabe is 30.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-30, 4:24 AM #32
Quote:
I played a medic but I was terribly confused as to how I was supposed to use my skills. I was probably doing something wrong, but it looked like I needed some 'organic' and 'inorganic' ingredients and something else and I was confused. </font>

Actually, you can buy stim packs and other meds straight off the bazaar. You just have to make sure it's within your skill level to use. Alternatively, you can purchace a Food and Chemical crafting tool, organic and inorganic resources (though, you have the medic harvest skill to get the organtic...if you have the patience), and craft the meds yourself.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I played a sharpshooter or whatever it's called, the one with the guns, that was a lot less confusing, but didn't seem very appealing to play for a long time.</font>

None of the basic professions are very appealing. Their stepping stones to the elite professions.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I was totally impressed with the ability to make a camp. I wanted to do that but I couldn't work out how.</font>

A generic crafting tool and Novice Scout skill is pretty much all you need. With Novice Scout you can harvest the resources you need to make them with (Bones and Hide).

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">But generally, the thing didn't seem to have much long-term appeal. It might just be the remaining evercrack in my veins, but I tend to prefer "fantasy" RPGs using 'magic' and spells and things. I expect Flirbnic to disagree with this, but I find those games aren't limited to trying to be 'realistic' or whatever, they can just focus on being fun.</font>

This is by large, one of the single biggest complaints. What makes SGW different from other MMO's is that it doesn't hand everything in front of you.

The systems in SWG are just to get you started. The developers left the galaxy open ended for us to do whatever you want in them. On Lowca, I have a very lucritive resource mining opporation. In fact, I pratically control the Tatooine Fiberplast market (used to make advanced meds...particularily medical buffs).

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED
2004-07-30, 4:51 AM #33
Yeah, I did walk through a whole player-controlled city with shops and houses by players for players.

It seemed cool at first, but then I thought, what's the point?
What exactly is the point of having a totally player-controlled economy and politics? In terms of tradeskills, yes, some player makes an item and then sells it off to other players, and the most popular items are the most expensive and the least popular the least expensive, that's the simplest form of supply and demand. This was demonstrated in the EQ Bazaar zone, and it worked pretty well. This is something WoW should be fine-tuning at the moment.

But there doesn't seem to be that much point in extending it further than that, it's just asking for abuse and exploitation. NPCs do things perfectly well.

I don't play a game to try and enter an Economics 101 simulator. I don't expect to have to work my way up just to have fun, thinking "hmm, I might have fun if I do this..", I want to have fun when I'm playing and it to only get more fun as I level up. Starting off with nothing, or with uninteresting professions and abilities, that isn't fun. That's the problem I had with Everquest. I got about level 43 or so and I realised that I really wasn't having much fun, I was just grinding in order to get to level 50 where I'd get some new abilities. I thought, what's the point?

SWG seems to be exactly like that too. People that play it don't really sound like they're having huge amounts of fun, they tend just to talk about stuff that they might achieve later on in the game, like becoming a Jedi Knight.
2004-07-30, 5:13 AM #34
Yeah, SWG was far too money and xp driven. It needed more activities besides shoot'em-up quests. It needed like puzzle quests... like a series of riddles that lead you to the treasure, Indiana Jones sort of thing. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-07-30, 6:12 AM #35
Sounds like you might enjoy CoH, Mort-Hog. There is no crafting at all, virtually no economy, and all you do is kill stuff. Of course that's a blessing and a curse...

Also, the skills you get at the character creation you will use (and improve) throughout the entire life of your character. You can get some pretty impressive powers very early on.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-07-30, 7:26 AM #36
Quote:
Yeah, I did walk through a whole player-controlled city with shops and houses by players for players.</font>

Actually, player-cities have been bad for SWG as a whole. It was so bad at one point on Bloodfin, you couldn't set up a camp anywhere within a 2km radius of Coronet due to it being too close to a player structure. It's always been my belief that they should of restricted player houses to within a certain radius of the main cities. This would make the main cities look bigger, and it wouldn't crowd the wilderness.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">SWG seems to be exactly like that too. People that play it don't really sound like they're having huge amounts of fun, they tend just to talk about stuff that they might achieve later on in the game, like becoming a Jedi Knight.</font>

Those are the people that get bored with it and quit. There's plenty of things to do in SWG. If your in a combat profession, you go on hunts, do quests, or get involved with pvp (ie. clan wars). Doctors/Medics and Crafters are needed for obvious reasons. But you also have social professions such as the Entertainer professions. Then there's the Smuggler profession. You can slice weapons and armor to get better stats. You can slice mission terminals to pay more for missions. And you can (in at least one place on Corellia) slice terminals at bases which switch the ownership of bases, ect.

Soon, we'll have the 4 new professions that come with the Space Expansion. When it comes out, I'm going to start hiring players to run cargo for me, or defend my cargo ships, ect. It's really going to open the possibilities up.

Bottom line, the people that complain about the game, are the people that arn't using the game as it was intended, to experience the Star Wars Galaxy.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED

↑ Up to the top!