Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Mid-Range X*00 series
Mid-Range X*00 series
2004-07-29, 11:23 AM #1
I've seen a little bit on the mid-range X*00 series, most recently the X600 was tested on Doom 3 at the HardOCP Hardware Guide. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them, and if they're valid solutions for mid-range cards?

If so, ATi could very well beat out nVidia in the budget card range, if not the high-end gaming card range.

Anyone know if nVidia has anything planned to rebut?

Oh and one side question--does HL2 and/or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. use SM3.0?

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-29, 11:35 AM #2
I looked around a bit and it doesn't look like there is anything in the works (that is public) from Nvidia. If they are holding off on their budget cards, ATI may very well have them cornered, but I seriously doubt it will take too long for them to announce additions to the 6*00 series (assuming their going to stay with that title).

------------------
ZGPC
2004-07-29, 12:04 PM #3
The X600XT is almost the same as the 9600XT, but for PCI-Express. It's slightly slower than a 9700 non-pro.
2004-07-29, 12:07 PM #4
And the X300 is also for PCI-express, but much worse.

[This message has been edited by IDJunkguy (edited July 29, 2004).]
2004-07-29, 6:42 PM #5
Ah, thanks. So they're pretty much just PCI-Express budget cards. That's smart of ATi.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-29, 8:08 PM #6
Except for the fact that nobody has PCIE.

Bleh [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
ZGPC

[This message has been edited by finity5 (edited July 29, 2004).]
2004-07-29, 9:23 PM #7
Sooo.. is PCIE > AGP in terms of speed? Finity5 is right, at least for me. I do not have a PCIE slot and I'm NOT going to purchase a new mobo for a new video card. My mobo isn't even 1 year old.

I would like to try an ATI card. I'm not hearing good stuff about FX cards. And I think I have some experience to back claims up.

------------------
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-07-30, 3:53 AM #8
PCIE is indeed faster than standard AGP, but nobody can USE that speed yet. It's stupid, but it's going to be propietary on newer motherboards. ATi's just getting ahead of the game.

The FX series, for DX9, was horrible. For image quality (AA, AF), they were horrible. The ones that were supposed to compare to ATi counterparts, didn't (i.e. 9600 vs 5700, 9600 > 5700. 9800 vs 5900, 9800 > 5900), and they were just a crappy line of cards. The only thing I would suggest is a 5950 ultra maybe, and only because it's so cheap and gives good Doom 3 performance. Other than that, ATi 9*00 line all the way.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-07-30, 4:24 AM #9
PCIe is not necessarily faster than AGP. It's just capable of faster transfer speeds, but the current video cards don't make use of that yet.
2004-07-30, 8:01 AM #10
It's not just transfer speed, the way the entire bus works and communicates with other parts of the system is totally different. It also provides a completely new (and easier) way for programmers to use their hardware.

So before you go calling it a gimmick, go read some nVidia or ATI developer notes, or watch the videos. nVidia has a good video explaining it.

Edit: PCI-E is also capable of SLI.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited July 30, 2004).]
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-07-30, 12:57 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:

The FX series, for DX9, was horrible. For image quality (AA, AF), they were horrible.
</font>

i remember seeing some comparison shots and the nvidia shots looked better on the AF comparisons

------------------
LONG LIVE DREAMCAST!!!
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!