Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → American Gangster
American Gangster
2007-11-05, 10:24 PM #1
Possibly one of the greatest films I have ever seen. It played out like a book, making every scene an anticipating page turn. Every scene added to this magnificent piece of literary magic. The overwhelming sense of reality without glorified or excessive violence showed the true nature of the mid 70s New York. There are subtle elements to the movie that are so deep and complex that you only realize it on a second glance (I plan to see it at least 2 more times.) An example is in the way that Frank runs his business very similar to his predecessor's criticism of modern business, which is mirrored in the antagonist officer's personal life of lies while he claims absolute honesty in his professional career. They're both severe hypocrites. Another subtlety is in all of the points hit in the movie without excessively focusing on them. The cop being Jewish, the short montage of people overdosing on Blue Magic, the driver's, Frank's former Job, betraying, gang tags on the wall in the final scene. So many little points of the movie that didn't need to be focused on, but were most certainly powerful on their own.

I have not gone to the cinema and felt like my money was so well spent in years. Truly a masterpiece with so little to say negatively about it. I genuinely cannot find a low point, weak character, or cliche piece of this film. The only shadow of a complaint I have is that the bad-cop was too far antagonist.

Also, I believe the highest point of the movie is that pure was being sold for 10 dollars a dimebag. Even with inflation over the years, that's at least 30% cheaper than pure at it's lowest price anywhere at any time.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-05, 10:28 PM #2
Yes, considering Ridley Scott directed it, I knew it was going to be good. I was not disappointed. Excellent movie! My only gripe is that the text at the end of the movie lies. It claims he was released from jail in 1991, when in fact he was released around '83 and was put in prison in '84 for drug charges again until '91.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2007-11-05, 10:34 PM #3
I also think this is one of the strongest definitions of black culture and today's situation of racism and why dealing drugs and crime was the true progressive black movement. Not that it's RIGHT or that it's the BEST way, but it worked. Black people made a name, were able to defend that name, and most importantly, able to defend their families and homes thanks to drugs and being willing to do what no one else is wiling to do. This defines the concept of "thug life" and explains how we got to where we are now.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-05, 11:57 PM #4
My sister worked as the assistant to Brian Grazer of Imagine Entertainment (Producer of the Film) and her name is in the credits of that movie. I also got a sweet "American Gangster" sweater jacket that she gave to me and I've had it for nearly a year now. No one even commented on the jacket until recently when they realized that it was of a movie.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2007-11-06, 2:59 AM #5
I thought it was a good movie.

It had a number of flaws the kept redeeming themselves over and over.

Russel Crowe's character was sweet.
(oh yeah, special mention to the shotgun blast ricocheting back from the metal door and hitting the guy--that was awesome.)
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2007-11-06, 5:23 AM #6
Havn't seen it yet, but I've seen the interview with the real guys involved in it on some t.v. show on PBS. Interesting stuff, considering they're all friends now and such :D
2007-11-06, 9:54 AM #7
I haven't seen it, but I can say, as a theatre employee, I despise the people coming to watch it. They're all dicks.
>>untie shoes
2007-11-06, 10:38 AM #8
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I also think this is one of the strongest definitions of black culture and today's situation of racism and why dealing drugs and crime was the true progressive black movement. Not that it's RIGHT or that it's the BEST way, but it worked. Black people made a name, were able to defend that name, and most importantly, able to defend their families and homes thanks to drugs and being willing to do what no one else is wiling to do. This defines the concept of "thug life" and explains how we got to where we are now.

It did not work. Have you ever been down south and seen a black neighborhood? Seriously?
2007-11-06, 10:44 AM #9
Originally posted by Veger:
the shotgun blast ricocheting back from the metal door and hitting the guy--that was awesome.

hahaha, yeah i couldn't stop laughing at that.

but it's an amazing movie, everyone should go see it immediately right now do it
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-11-06, 6:20 PM #10
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
It did not work. Have you ever been down south and seen a black neighborhood? Seriously?

Stop typing. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-06, 9:53 PM #11

Hahahaha.
2007-11-07, 7:36 AM #12
Well I haven't seen the movie. Maybe it's not what I'm referring too?
2007-11-07, 7:53 PM #13

YOU'VE never seen a black neighborhood down south.

And honestly, I hate to say it because it IS stereotyped and racist to a certain extent, but black people on average commit more crimes and most black neighborhoods end up being comprised of "crack houses", especially in the projects and other similarly poor neighborhoods.

And it DID work (for NY at least). An amazing film.

Kirby--you do know a lot of that wasn't "literary" right? This is all based on a very true story...the film work? Sure, definitely not all of it happened. But a vast majority of the film was true.
D E A T H
2007-11-07, 9:27 PM #14
Sorry, what I mean by "literary" is how it played out. It felt like reading a book as opposed to watching an action flick.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-07, 9:46 PM #15
Yeah, I agree. I love how the one major act of violence (outside the diner while family was watching) is enough to carry basically the whole film. That was an amazing scene and all that was needed.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009

↑ Up to the top!