Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Xbox 360 woes.
Xbox 360 woes.
2007-11-06, 12:20 PM #1
So my Xbox 360 decided to yet again have some sort of hardware failure. I've already had to send it in once for the 3 red blinking lights of death, and now I've got what appears to be a problem with my disk reader. Every so often I get this faint 'clicking' noise, and then about 30 seconds later it tells me that my disc cannot be read. I'm also noticing strange slowdowns in some games, as if my drive is having trouble reading the disc.

At first when this happened I thought it was my disc, though it was unlikely since it was a brand new copy of NBA 2K8. So I took the game back to GameStop, exchanged it, and now I am experiencing the same problem yet again. The discs are not getting scratched by my 360, so at least that's good news. However I'm going to have to wait again while these slow mother ****ers take their merry *** time shipping me out my box, repairing it, and getting it back to me. :argh:

On top of all of this it really sucks because it's really hurt my gamer rating because I keep getting 'Do Not Finishes' or 'Quit the Game Early' in all of my games, but it isn't my fault! :gonk:

Anyways, post any Xbox 360 or other console problems that you've experienced.
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2007-11-06, 12:29 PM #2
360 woes? Well, one time I bought a 360 and $400 disappeared from my wallet. I was sad, but then I realized I bought Orange Box too.
2007-11-06, 12:30 PM #3
Just RRoD. First time I've heard about a DVD drive dying in one, though I'm sure it's happened to a crap load of other people.

Did they send you back a refurbished unit or your original console the first time? Could be they were stupid and didn't check/refurb the DVD drive like they should have.

My only problem with support is when I got my 360 back, the top right corner of the faceplate (if the console is standing) no longer snaps well. Also, the grating in front of the drive on top? It was cracked. I had to literally disassembled the damn thing (thankfully you don't void your warranty by taking those covers off) to snap it back into place so it at least LOOKS at first glance to not be broken. They also still haven't ever sent me a replacement for my AV cable. I've started the process over about 5 times now over the last 10 months or so and it's yet to be resolved.

My only nice thing to say about them right now? They got my 360 back to me before Halo 3 was released, it worked, it still works, and they sent back MY unit, not a refurbished one. So I didn't have to go through the hell of trying to get all my DLC reattached to a new console.

God knows their support could be a whole lot worse, but it's far from good.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Are you finding Ling-Ling's head?
Last Stand
2007-11-06, 12:35 PM #4
Originally posted by phoenix_9286:
Did they send you back a refurbished unit or your original console the first time? Could be they were stupid and didn't check/refurb the DVD drive like they should have.

They sent me back my original console and repaired whatever it was that caused the RRoD.
Author of the JK levels:

2007-11-06, 1:01 PM #5
Count yourself lucky. The lamp system in my DLP2 television died yesterday.

That's an 800 dollar repair. Thank god for Best Buy service plans.
>>untie shoes
2007-11-06, 2:53 PM #6
Sucks. My brother's friend has returned his like 6 times now. Are the newer ones any better?
2007-11-06, 2:55 PM #7
Mine's never had an issue :/
2007-11-06, 3:35 PM #8
GameStop ran out of copies of CoD4. That's really the only 360 woe I've had.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2007-11-06, 3:53 PM #9
My buddy brought his over here and when he plugged it into the power sockets in kuwait, it fried. Apparently 110 and 220 don't mix, but he didn't know this.

But other than that, I haven't seen any problems with the 360's. My old Xbox used to do the game slowdown and freeze thing when I played Morrowind.
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-11-06, 4:01 PM #10
Fister: That was Morrowind's fault, not the X-Box. That game was programmed HORRIBLY. (Even on PC)
2007-11-06, 4:04 PM #11
Ahh, I wondered about that. Because that was the only game that froze like that.
If my smoking bothers you, don't breathe.
2007-11-06, 4:12 PM #12
I would think that after several times of having your 360 repaired they'd just send you a brand new one after you sent yours in. Besides, the customer service guy I talked to said that I my one-year warranty is renewed every time I have to send it in.
Author of the JK levels:

2007-11-06, 4:25 PM #13
I've never had to send mine in, but I've only had it a few months. Unfortunately I bought it right before the new chips and drives were put in, thinking that because it had the HDMI it had all new components too.
2007-11-06, 4:28 PM #14
Mine started freezing up after having it less than a month. I sent it in and got a different (but still refurbished) system back.

Hasn't broken since then, but has been quite loud.
2007-11-06, 5:31 PM #15
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
I would think that after several times of having your 360 repaired they'd just send you a brand new one after you sent yours in. Besides, the customer service guy I talked to said that I my one-year warranty is renewed every time I have to send it in.

I think you either misunderstood him, or he has no idea what he's talking about. Everyone gets 1 year from date of purchase. You're covered for three years for RRoD. So there's essentially two warranties in place. One for RRoD and one for everything else. The one year never gets extended, but the three year, I think, comes into play as soon as your 360 is sent in the first time for it. So as soon as it's repaired/replaced, you have three year coverage against it ever going RRoD again.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Last Stand
2007-11-06, 5:47 PM #16
No, that's exactly what I thought at first. That's why I asked him to clarify it, twice. I told him that the last time I sent my 360 in, the rep told me that only the RRoD had an extension of 3 years of coverage after your purchase, but for any other repairs those were only covered under your first year, or whatever protection plan you bought only. You would not receive any extension for any other problems your console may have.

However, this new rep told me, (after I asked him to clarify it, twice) that EVERY time you send in your Xbox 360 and something is repaired, then your warranty is extended one year from that service date. He told me this after I complained that I was weary that my 360 may have other faulty parts after having to repair it two times within a two-month period for different issues, and I expressed that I was worried that when my warranty expires in a month I might not be able to fix any future problems.

If it's in question at all if something happens to my 360, I wrote down exactly what he said and I will demand that they find that tape that is recorded between the rep and customer and play it back and listen to what he said. Since it will be highly unlikely that they'll have the tape, hopefully I'd just be able to raise hell enough to get something accomplished.

Haha, I like that I'm already prepared to argue for future malfunctions with the console. :gbk:
Author of the JK levels:

2007-11-06, 6:23 PM #17
I didn't think they recorded the conversations. The message when you call usually says that you're allowed to, not that they are.
2007-11-06, 6:26 PM #18
Had a first gen PS2 that went all disk read error on us.
Then had a second gen that did the same, Next one got fried, So we got a new one. THEN that one had a buggered ethernet port. Now i have a perfectly working one.
2007-11-06, 6:27 PM #19
I need to call and raise hell with them again over my freaking cable. It's just that I'm almost to the point of not caring anymore. It pisses me off to no end that there's some kind of communications brick wall between customer service and the repair center, but I don't want to get on the phone and deal with it. Ugh.

That and I bought a VGA cable for the 360 right before the Halo 3 Beta.

Seriously though. Every time I've started this process over and explained what's gone on, the representative has gone "this shouldn't be happening" (yeah, wonderful scripted line there buddy, and put that in a memo entitled '**** I know'). I've asked if the busted cable needs to be sent back to the repair center. "No, the repair center doesn't need it." Every time they've said that. They've also said, "I don't know why, but maybe they are expecting it." quickly followed up with, "You could try shipping it to them to see if that moves the process along." And then I don't have a component cable if I need one. Not to mention the fact that I'd be paying for it on my own damn dollar. No thanks.

The way it SEEMS (from what I've been told) like it should work, is I keep the defective cable, the request is put in to ship a new one from the repair center, the new one is shipped. I don't have to send anyone anything.

... screw it... I'll just call and ***** at them tomorrow. Not like you guys care about it anyway, right? :P
Last Stand
2007-11-06, 7:28 PM #20
I have had a Genesis, a PS2, a used Gamecube, and a used 360 and have yet to have a console fail on me. Although, my Genesis did finally die, so I don't know if that counts...
No sig.
2007-11-06, 7:36 PM #21
I still have an ATARI 2600 that was originally my brother's and it functions perfectly fine after about 25 years. Where did Microsoft drop the ball with these new consoles?
Author of the JK levels:

2007-11-06, 8:31 PM #22
Originally posted by Dark__Knight:
I still have an ATARI 2600 that was originally my brother's and it functions perfectly fine after about 25 years. Where did Microsoft drop the ball with these new consoles?

the Atari is also a whole crapload less complex than the 360. Complexity breeds problems. Rushing your product out the door to beat the competition by a year doesn't help matters.
Last Stand
2007-11-07, 6:00 AM #23
Originally posted by Brian:
Sucks. My brother's friend has returned his like 6 times now. Are the newer ones any better?

new 360s other than the HDMI thing have a better cooling setup
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!