Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Best music service?
Best music service?
2007-11-08, 11:22 PM #1
I'm finally jumping on the 'pay per song' bandwagon since I'm getting burned out of listening to all my video game remixes. Sooo, I'm shopping for a music service.
I know theres Napster and iTunes... but are there any other sellers worth mentioning?

Here are the basic things I'm looking for:
1) Songs need to be unlockable (or hackable) as I have too many players to be messing around with stupid copy protection.
2) Cheap is good.
3) Decent selection. I want to get '10 Years', Anberlan, Weird Al, and a few others. Mostly rock/alternative.

Thank you for your suggestions :D
Lyrics are highly overrated.
2007-11-08, 11:33 PM #2
Unlockable?
(Itunes.)
2007-11-09, 12:28 AM #3
Amazon offers MP3s without any DRM.
Sorry for the lousy German
2007-11-09, 6:32 AM #4
I've heard really good things about Amazon.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2007-11-09, 7:09 AM #5
Yeah, Amazon or iTunes.

I mean, I hate to play the pirate card, but this is why music services aren't bearing any fruit.

1) DRM. Amazon doesn't have DRM, Apple doesn't on some of their songs, but they still have personal data imbedded into the id3 tags of the songs. Pirate services are for the most part anonymous and have no identifying info on the songs.

2) Cost. $.99 a song is still difficult for a lot of people to really build up a library. The record companies have run the market forever, and dominated the prices because they're the only game in town, while they get rich and the talent gets nothing.

3) Oink.cd (well, it's new iterations), have a larger selection than any music 10 times, 100 times more than any service. They offer differing bitrates, lossless, mp3, and more. They also have the indy artists and labels that you'll never find on the big stores.

Obviously piracy is not the right step, but these stores and the record companies need to look at what piracy offers consumers and start to make some changes to their system to compete.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-11-09, 7:43 AM #6
Amazon is probably the best. Still too expensive though.
2007-11-09, 7:48 AM #7
Amazon is most certainly the best, but it has horrible bitrates as well as a narrow selection. But of the paid sites, it's the most varied without DRM.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-09, 7:54 AM #8
Amazon is 256k.
2007-11-09, 8:07 AM #9
For 99 cents and still not lossless?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-09, 8:22 AM #10
If you're a student, I would 150% go with Ruckus. And then google for things involving fair use and the number 4 and the letters "w" and "m".
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2007-11-09, 8:34 AM #11
I use iTunes, but might start using Amazon. Didn't know they offered mp3s, that's better than having to use iTunes to burn a CD, and then copy the CD back to my HD.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2007-11-09, 9:04 AM #12
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I use iTunes, but might start using Amazon. Didn't know they offered mp3s, that's better than having to use iTunes to burn a CD, and then copy the CD back to my HD.

Pretty sure you can still get around this through the use of a virtual device.
2007-11-09, 9:29 AM #13
Or a DRM stripper.
2007-11-09, 10:59 AM #14
If you're going to rip the DRM you might as well "buy" them for free off of Spiralfrog, unless you have something against WMA files.
<Rob> This is internet.
<Rob> Nothing costs money if I don't want it to.
2007-11-13, 1:16 PM #15
Zune Marketplace just started offering DRM-Free mp3s. Might want to check that out too.

↑ Up to the top!