Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Cheapest way to LEGALLY buy XP
Cheapest way to LEGALLY buy XP
2007-11-12, 8:04 PM #1
I need a full installation disk for Windows XP, but I want a legal one so I can install WGA and whatnot. I am developing software for my job, and they let me work from home, but only if I supply the needed hardware/software. One of the requirements means I have to test on Windows XP/IE, so I need a legal XP (full installation, not upgrade) disk to run inside my VM. Any suggestions, or do I have to suck it up and buy the full version at Wal-mart or something?
2007-11-12, 8:05 PM #2
Find a student or a coworker with a student at you local university. Student discounts make Windows pretty affordable.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2007-11-12, 8:06 PM #3
Yeah, the copy of XP I'm on cost $5 through school.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2007-11-12, 8:06 PM #4
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
Find a student or a coworker with a student at you local university. Student discounts make Windows pretty affordable.

You aren't allowed to transfer a student liscense to a non-student.
2007-11-12, 8:17 PM #5
Hum, yeah, don't want to go the student route I guess.
2007-11-12, 8:33 PM #6
It may not be the cheapest way, but if you get an MSDN developer license (between $250 and $500 depending on your package) you can have as many copies of any operating system that Microsoft makes without activation or expirations.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2007-11-12, 8:36 PM #7
What's "legal?"
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2007-11-12, 8:38 PM #8
There's ways around WGA...just so you know.

Yeah.
D E A T H
2007-11-12, 8:40 PM #9
Originally posted by Yecti:
It may not be the cheapest way, but if you get an MSDN developer license (between $250 and $500 depending on your package) you can have as many copies of any operating system that Microsoft makes without activation or expirations.

Assuming you can justify the subscription and that the software will not be used in a production environment, yes.
2007-11-12, 8:42 PM #10
Give ol' Gates our souls.
2007-11-12, 8:44 PM #11
Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
There's ways around WGA...just so you know.

Yeah.

I don't need to get around WGA. I have a really old copy of win2k, but I've never owned XP at all.
2007-11-12, 8:49 PM #12
Originally posted by Brian:
I don't need to get around WGA. I have a really old copy of win2k, but I've never owned XP at all .

Whoa, really?
Back again
2007-11-12, 8:57 PM #13
Originally posted by Warlockmish:
Whoa, really?

I switched to linux after windows 98.
2007-11-12, 9:10 PM #14
Originally posted by Cool Matty:
Assuming you can justify the subscription and that the software will not be used in a production environment, yes.

Justification is taken rather loosely by Microsoft anymore. Brian does / has done software development... Justification made.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2007-11-12, 9:40 PM #15
Well you can start by going for XP Home instead of Pro if you aren't going to make it your main OS, that could cut SOMETHING off the price. The only thing I wish I had in Home is Remote Desktop server. MetaVNC or UltraVNC are decent replacements though.

But if you find a deal where the price isn't much different or you don't mind spending the difference, just go with Pro.

2007-11-12, 9:56 PM #16
Justification is taken rather loosely by Microsoft anymore. Brian does / has done software development... Justification made.

I'm more worried about the "production environment" clause that someone mentioned. I would be using it for testing and probably reading Office documents that oowriter mucks up.

I don't need pro, I guess I need home. I think I saw an "upgrade" for 130 at walmart, but they didn't have the full version on the shelf.
2007-11-12, 10:10 PM #17
Originally posted by Brian:
I'm more worried about the "production environment" clause that someone mentioned. I would be using it for testing and probably reading Office documents that oowriter mucks up.

I don't need pro, I guess I need home. I think I saw an "upgrade" for 130 at walmart, but they didn't have the full version on the shelf.

You said you own 2k right? Buy the upgrade and then it will ask for you to insert your previous windows CD. Pop in the 2K disc and call it done. :)
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2007-11-13, 12:27 AM #18
You said you own 2k right? Buy the upgrade and then it will ask for you to insert your previous windows CD. Pop in the 2K disc and call it done. :)

I find that to be an extreme pain in the ***, esp. since I'm going to be installing it as a VM. I have about 300 computer cds spread across two drawers and 3 cd cases sitting under my disk. I bought the windows 98 SE upgrade (upgraded my OEM win95) and it was a never-ending nightmare every time I had to reinstall :mad:
2007-11-13, 3:28 AM #19
OEM. i bought a piece of internal hardware, a $12 NIC, and i got XP home for $110. pro was $160.
funny thing is i ended up needing the NIC that same day.

http://www.nigelcomputers.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=172
2007-11-13, 4:30 AM #20
XP OEM on newegg is $90. You could probably find it even cheaper if you looked harder.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2007-11-13, 4:12 PM #21
Install a 128 day evaluation version with legit key. Time bomb crack!
Take that there and put it in here
2007-11-13, 4:24 PM #22
Originally posted by fishstickz:
XP OEM on newegg is $90. You could probably find it even cheaper if you looked harder.

this
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2007-11-13, 4:27 PM #23
not necessarily legal, but if you get a cracked version, then run Microsoft's Genuine Advantage program, it will detect that it's cracked, then you can buy a Genuine Advantage Kit for (I think) $149.99, or possibly even $99.99.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.

↑ Up to the top!